WE HAVE WINNERS AT ONBC!

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

WE HAVE WINNERS AT ONBC!

Unread postby Liz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi Everyone. I just want to announce the winners of the ONBC Trivia Contest. Drumroll please..........

In a tie for 1st place we have......

Nebraska and Fansmom.

2nd place goes to........

Luvdepp

Below are the answers to the questions.

Day 1

What is the name of the local bar where the characters of The Rum Diary hang out?

Al’s Backyard

What is the name of the bar in The Time of Your Life?

Nick’s Pacific Street Saloon

What is the name of the restaurant that Sal, Remi and Lee Ann unexpectedly met up with Roland Major?

Alfred’s

Day 2

Who is Johnny referring to in this quote? “I created him from bits and pieces of observations from people who saw him as quite a dark figure—yet mixed together with the flashes of light and happiness…”

J.M. Barrie

Identify the source (person and book) for this quote:
“I’m one of those people who believe that life is a series of cycles – wheels within wheels, some meshing with each other, some spinning alone, but all of them performing some finite repeating function.”

Stephen King in Secret Window, Secret Garden

What character is described in this passage? “The eyes were of an uncertain color, between oyster gray and creamy opal white, covered with a kind of slimy film and apparently not very well adapted for sight.”

Grenouille

What beverage does Joe always order?

champagne

List the Llewelyn-Davies brothers in order from oldest to youngest.

George, Jack, Peter, Michael and Nico

Day 3

What book is Johnny referring to in this quote? “I had found the teachers, the soundtrack and the proper motivation for my life…The idea to live day to day in a ‘true pedestrian’ way, to keep walking, moving forward, no matter what. A sanctified juggernaut.”

On The Road

Who is Margaret Ogilvy?

J.M. Barrie’s mother

Who is Sala and where does he work?

Photographer for the Daily News

Where specifically in the city of Paris was Grenouille born and where did he die?

Cimetière des Innocents

Identify this quote by book and character: “His mood was not euphoric as he formed his plans to rule humankind…he wanted to do it because he was evil, thoroughly evil.”

Perfume, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille

Day 4

“If I were gifted enough to write something like that, I would have stopped. I would have stopped there." Johnny was referring to which author and book in this quote.

William Saroyan, The Time of Your Life

“With this guy it was more about being, more about behaving, more about trying not to exist…..This is about a guy who’s desperate to be comfortable in his own skin—almost to the point of making himself disappear.” Who was Johnny referring to in this excerpt from an interview?

Mort Rainey

What does the phrase “that terrible masterpiece” refer to?

The play, Peter Pan

From what book and author is this passage taken? “The American police are involved in psychological warfare against those Americans who don’t frighten them with imposing papers and threats. It’s a Victorian police force; it peers out of musty windows and wants to inquire about everything, and can make crimes if the crimes don’t exist to its satisfaction.”

On The Road by Jack Kerouac

Indentify this passage by author and book. “…sounds of life and movement, people getting ready and people giving up, the sound of hope and the sound of hanging on, and behind them all, the quiet deadly ticking of a thousand hungry clocks, the lonely sound of time passing in a long ***** night.”

Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary

Day 5

Identify this passage by author and book. “by the time we got to the street, I could see the first rays of the sun, a cool pink glow in the eastern sky. The fact that I’d spent all night in a cell and a courtroom made that morning one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen.”

Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary

Identify this quote by character and book. “My aunt once said that the world would never find peace until men fall at their women’s feet and ased for forgiveness…The truth of the matter is we don’t understand our women; we blame them and it’s all our fault, I said.”

Sal Paradise, On The Road

What book is this quote from? Which character is saying this? “Living is an art. It’s not bookkeeping. It takes a lot of rehearsing for a man to get to be himself.”

The Time of Your Life, Joe

Who did Mort steal a story from when he was in college and what was the name of the story?

John Kintner, Crowfoot Mile

Name the type of pet and the name of Mort’s pet.

A cat named Bump
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:14 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Way to go fansmom and Nebraska! Congrats as well to luvdepp! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:19 pm

Congrats!!!!!!!
:disco:

Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:27 pm

I hope everyone had as much fun doing this as I did. It really took my mind off some other things that happened this week that didn't go the way I'd hoped, if you know what I mean.

Plus, after so many ONBC questions that are subjective (not that I'm complaining, because I know this is a discussion, not a true/false quiz) it was nice to be able to answer a question here and be convinced that I was right.

Thanks so much to Liz and DITHOT for EVERYTHING!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:32 pm

Congratulations, fansmom! Well done! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:03 pm

Congratulations to fansmom, nebraska and luvdepp. Well Done!! :highfive:
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:28 pm

Thank you so much! It is an honor (and a relief) to be named a winner. :bounce: I was really hoping.......

I had a hard time with the questions, spent a lot of time looking for the answers, developed some great new search resources in the process. It was fun to get re-acquainted with some of the characters we have met over the last year. They have been an interesting lot, the people who inhabit the ONBC reading list!

Congratulations to fansmom and luvdepp, too. and to everyone who participated in the contest. Well done!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:47 am

fansmom wrote:I hope everyone had as much fun doing this as I did. It really took my mind off some other things that happened this week that didn't go the way I'd hoped, if you know what I mean.

Plus, after so many ONBC questions that are subjective (not that I'm complaining, because I know this is a discussion, not a true/false quiz) it was nice to be able to answer a question here and be convinced that I was right.

Thanks so much to Liz and DITHOT for EVERYTHING!

We're still thinking about converting to mulitple choice..........NOT!

Glad you enjoyed it, Fansmom!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:07 pm

Thank you very much ladies! I know how much time and work must have been involved in this and once again,
you outdid yourselves!
:bounce:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:01 pm

:bounce: CONGRATS to all!!!

A job well done. I found these to be tough so I bow to your greatness :chill:

Thanks to Liz and DITHOT for coming up with some doosies.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”