ONBC is 10 years old today

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC is 10 years old today

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:02 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Noodlemantras!

ONBC began its first discussion exactly 10 years ago to the minute (Two Past Midnight to be exact) Halloween night. The story was Secret Window, Secret Garden, a short story by Stephen King, also referred to as Two Past Midnight in his book of 4 short stories entitled Four Past Midnight.

On November 1, 2003 I bought the ticket, and I took the ride. And wow! What a ride! Others joined me on this road. My first partners in crime were Tansy and Karen. They moved on to other things that first year. This is what we looked like back then:

In May of 2004 DITHOT joined me on this wild and crazy journey, trekking through the tidbits and discussions with me for over 8 years.

This is what we looked like then (and still do, if you have chosen the ONBC board style in your settings):

Since Fall 2012, Fireflydances has been traveling with me on new adventures, helping me uncover precious nuggets of knowledge.

I want to thank my former partners, Tansy & Karen, for their vision. (NOTE: I wasn’t expecting ONBC to last past the first book :lol: )

Thank you, Sleepy, for having faith in us and allowing us to have our own little forum.

Thank you, Part-time Poet, for your continued support and encouragement throughout the years.

Thank you, Theresa, for all of your web support.

Thank you, Firefly, for stepping in to some really big shoes and running in them, quite gracefully.

Thank you, DITHOT, for all the years and work you put into ONBC and all the fun we had.

Finally, thank you, Noodlemantras, for your enthusiasm, your contributions, your interest, your insight, your wit and your loyalty. Without you, there would be no ONBC.

And I guess the same could be said for Johnny. He is our inspiration, after all.

~ Liz

LET’S HAVE A BIRTHDAY CONTEST

We will be celebrating our birthday with a contest. ALL ZONERS are eligible to participate. We’re not ready to divulge the rules just yet. Drop by at 6:00 p.m. PT (8:00 CT/9:00 ET) Monday, November 4, for contest instructions. The contest is time sensitive. So make sure you check back here then for instructions.

See you then……

~ Liz & Fireflydances

Click here for Full Size
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: ONBC is 10 years old today

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:32 am

Huge congratulations, and Happy Birthday, and well done for keeping us reading.

:balloons: :cake:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 am

Wow! That books-read collage just keeps getting bigger and bigger!

Congratulations on this achievement. And thanks for all you do, everyone here at the Zone who is involved in making this such an interesting, challenging, rewarding book club!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 am

Deepest gratitude for all you do - it's not just the books I love, it's the whole shebang: the curiosity, generosity and all-around intrepidness of the whole gang. Thanks, especially, to the moderators, who toil endlessly that we lazier folks can be well-informed and sparked to brilliance.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:42 am

:cake: :balloons:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 am

:thanks!: :balloons: Happy Happy Happy Birthday!!!!

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:58 pm

With great appreciation to Liz and all who have helped her, past and present, I wish a very Happy Birthday to the ONBC! Image

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Liz, you should be so proud of what you have accomplished. Johnny and Stephen were especially interested and intrigued with the book club!
Funny ol' world, innit?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm

:balloons: Where does the time go? So many great memories. I wouldn't trade the good reads and especially the good people I've come to know over the last ten years for anything! Thanks, Liz and all the administrators at the Zone for keeping ONBC on a roll. Congratulations on a job well done!! :hatsoff:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:41 pm

I have to say that I am amazed but the longevity of ONBC. And truly my dear friends this lovely little club exists because of the determination and vision of Liz. Ten years!

I am also amazed to be part of all this, the wonderful books, the discussions, the things I learn in the course of digging up the facts for our tidbits. It is an immensely rich and deep process. Thank you Liz!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm

It has been a wonderful 10 years...looking forward to 10 more! Thanks for everything. :hug:
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Let the good times roll!

pinkpalace

Unread postby pinkpalace » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Happy Birthday ONBC! I've only recently joined and I followed along with the 'Just Kids' tidbits and discussion and I hope to participate in the future :)

sleepy wrote:Johnny and Stephen were especially interested and intrigued with the book club!

Sorry, since I'm new here, Johnny knows about the ONBC?

Yes, he does. We were able to speak to him a while back and he was especially interested in the book club and he loved the name.

sleepy

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Congratulations, ONBC! :yahoo:

:birthdayballoon: :noodlemantra:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks, everyone!

Nebraska, I think the collage is about as full as it can get. We'll start over next year with Collage #2 - going for 20 years. :yikes:

:welcome: to ONBC, pinkpalace. To quote a pirate dear to our heart, "he has heard of us." I know, I know, in the movie it's "you have heard of me" - but you get the drift. :bigwink:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”