HAPPY 9th BIRTHDAY, ONBC!

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

HAPPY 9th BIRTHDAY, ONBC!

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 am

Happy Halloween :coffin: , Noodlemantra’s, and Happy Birthday :cake: ONBC!

Nine years ago at exactly Two Past Midnight PST, Halloween night (or, if you prefer, bright and early November 1) Oprah Noodlemantra’s Book Club began their very first discussion - Secret Window, Secret Garden (or Two Past Midnight).

Since then we’ve seen a rogue CIA agent, a boy who never grew up, a Libertine, better versions of Willy Wonka, Sweeney Todd & The Mad Hatter, Public Enemy No. 1, a tourist, a silly vampire, a couple of animations, a tribute (actually more than one) to Hunter, 3 more of those pirate movies, and of course, Mort, a writer…….where it all started.

We’ve met a number of authors and a couple of actresses……Andrew Birkin, Bryan Burrough, Darlene Cates, A.C. Crispin, Gordon Dahlquist, Joseph Gangemi, Joanne Harris, William J. Helmer, Garry Kilworth, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Jim Pierson and Tim Powers.

But most importantly, we Noodlemantras have had some incredible discussions (as have other Zoners on other forums) with some wonderful people all over the world.

So 9 years and 43 books later, we’re still here and ready to talk books.

Noodlemantras, thank you for your interest, support and amazing insights!

And we hope you will check out our tidbits on Life After Death, which begin on Monday, November 5, and join us for the discussion that will follow.

Cheers!

:toastingpirates:

Liz, DITHOT & Fireflydances

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: HAPPY 9th BIRTHDAY, ONBC!

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:25 am

:balloons: quite an acheivement I think. I've had the pleasure of joining in a few discussions and sometimes just reading the tidbits on others.

Constance

Unread postby Constance » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:13 am

Happy Birthday ONBC :cake:

Wow, 43 books! That is a lot! I've only had the pleasure of joining in one book discussion so far, but I thoroughly enjoyed that one discussion. I hope I will be able to join in other discussions in the future.

I wanted to applaud you ladies who do such a huge and magnifiscent job doing research and writing tidbits :applause2: :bouquet: Happy Birthday to you all :rose:
"BE the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate" Captain Jack Sparrow :twohearts: :grouphug:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am

Wow! 9 years and 43 books! It has been a wonderful adventure! I think all involved deserve a round of applause, especially the moderators. :applause2:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am

:wave: Where does the time go? Thanks to everyone for helping create our cozy little spot in cyberspace here at the Zone. May there be many more books and years to come! Cheers all around! :toastingpirates:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 pm

You guys work so hard, and are so dedicated to something Johnny truly loves. Congratulations. The Zone is a better place because of you two! :bouquet:
Funny ol' world, innit?

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 pm

sleepy wrote:You guys work so hard, and are so dedicated to something Johnny truly loves. Congratulations. The Zone is a better place because of you two! :bouquet:

Absolutely, and ditto! Couldn't say it better myself. Image

Chocolat

Unread postby Chocolat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Image :balloons: :cake: ONBC !

Thank you for the years of fascinating discussions, even for those who
are peekers but not speakers. Good wishes for many more fascinating book discussions.
Looking forward to Life After Death.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Snowcat

Unread postby Snowcat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:06 pm

:happybday: ONBC! Isn't it great to see an idea really get off the ground as it becomes a reality, like ONBC?!
I look forward to joining in the discussion about "Life After Death" as time allows.
He said, "Wow, Very Nice!", and signed my painting. TIFF 2015.

part-time poet

Unread postby part-time poet » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Happy Birthday to Liz, DITHOT, fireflydances and all the Noodlemantras!

You enlighten and inspire us, day in and day out. :ONBC:

Congratulations on your outstanding work and best wishes for a wonderful year of great collaborative reading to come.

Cheers and hats off to you! :hatsoff: And thanks to humiliatedgrape for the artwork on your birthday card.

:toastingpirates:

Part-Time Poet
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks, guys, for all the birthday wishes and accolades. We wouldn’t be here without the “peekers and speakers” (love that!) nor without sleepy’s initial & continued support as well as that of part-time poet. I’d also like to thank Joni and Theresa for stepping in now and then to help out…..and, of course, Theresa for her HTML wizardry.

And a special thanks to Firefly, for her great contributions to ONBC over the past couple of months. I couldn't have done it without her.

And a very special salute to DITHOT. Miss you.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for another year of ONBC "action" - distraction, stupefaction, satisfaction! Kudos to the moderators, for all of their passionate work...Can't wait for Life After Death.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 pm

This ONBC is a thing I love very much -- on both sides of the show. Some really great conversations over the years, some books I'd never have picked up --and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity of discovering them--and then, the behind-the-scenes process of intensively researching everything that surrounds or proceeds an ONBC book, the nail-biting experience of tacking up the tidbit late into the night, and finally the preparation of a list of questions, with an eye toward getting every reader involved.

The only thing that I've done in my life that compares at all to ONBC was those years in college, the late night reads in the stacks where you went from what you were supposed to be to twenty other books (following a seed trail of ideas) and the bull sessions with the sudden revelations of a new insight into a thing, and everyone excitedly added their latest thought.

Good thing this place. Feeds the brain. Thank you Liz and DITHOT for allowing me to participate in the process.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:36 pm

:birthdayballoon: A very happy birthday to the ONBC!

This is such a wonderful little place to hide out from the rest of the world. Great book choices, excellent variety-something for everyone, and an actual book discussion! Tidbits, questions, answers, thoughts...each one more intriguing than the previous one. :ONBC:

Thanks to everyone for your dedication to this forum and for opening my eyes to a marvelous treasure trove of literature! Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate. :bigwink:

:cake:

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:55 pm

:loveshower: :loveshower: :bouquet: :bouquet:

Happy Birthday ONBC!!! What a wonderful place that Liz and DITHOT has made for us. It has made my reading much more meaningful!! Thanks for all the many hours you dedicate to ONBC!!! Here is to another 10!! :thankyou:

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”