ONBC 2010 Birthday Contest - Ready Set Go! ~ Winners!!

Moderator: Liz

fansmom

Re: ONBC 2010 Birthday Contest - Ready Set Go!

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 pm

It's a shame the Twilight Zone doesn't have any sports teams.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 pm

fansmom wrote:
The jpg name is what?!

:grin:

I'm thinking you should have come to Texas instead! And I could use some help with the tennis team I'm on. What say you? :biggrin:

And as hard as it is....Congrats Giants!!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:19 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:fansmom wrote:
The jpg name is what?!

:grin:

I'm thinking you should have come to Texas instead! And I could use some help with the tennis team I'm on. What say you? :biggrin:

And as hard as it is....Congrats Giants!!

DITHOT, the Rangers WERE AWESOME! What a game it was. 0-0 for, what, 7 innings? And I still have my Rangers sweatshirt on to show my spirit (my son's little league team).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Constance

Unread postby Constance » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 am

Yaaay! Very exited to be joining this contest. :bounce:

Although, as I was reading though the guidelines and the list of clues, I found myself thinking: :freaked: "How am I ever going to be able to get this right when I have only read a few of the books" :hills:
But then as I read the list of clues again, I realized that a lot of these books have been made into movies, or have been discussed on the boards as possibly being made into movies :ohyes: And then I regained the :snoopydances: I had felt ever since I saw the announcement of the Birthday Contest. :yahoo:
With a little work, I might just be able to find the answers to these clues afterall :hope: At least I shall give it my best try! :ok:

Liz, DITHOT :goodvibes: I loved that little hidden joke in that picture :lol:

Allrighty then! I'm off to follow the clues! :sherlockholmes:

"BE the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate" Captain Jack Sparrow :twohearts: :grouphug:

Constance

Unread postby Constance » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:49 am

fireflydances wrote:Wow. Work cut out for us!

Question: I am finding it hard to read some of the book titles, well one specifically -- Saroyan. Quick check shows you looked at maybe two of his books last fall. This isn't a book cover. Is the art somewhere LARGE?

If it is but I must find it, ok. If not, what does the Saroyan say?

I copied and pasted the clues into a word-file and imported the picture into a seperate word-file. That way it's possible to click 'view print' and then you can zoom in until you can see the writing on the covers. When you have both files open, you can go back and forth as you type in your answers. Make sure you open the file with the list of clues last, or you won't be able to save as you go along. You could have it all in one file of course, but I like to save often, to make sure I don't lose what I already typed, and that would mean having to do the whole 'view print' and zoom thing all the time. The two files thing works really well for me!
Now the only challenge is to actually find the correct answers to type :eyebrow:
Now why did I not read all these books when I had the chance :mallet:

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate" Captain Jack Sparrow :twohearts: :grouphug:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 am

Constance wrote:Now why did I not read all these books when I had the chance :mallet:
Constance, I read all the books and I'm still :dunce: over some of the clues!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:32 am

:dunce: Whew!! At least I tried! :freaked:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Constance: thanks for the advice, I did something very similar. Right now, slogging forward knowing no chance to win, but it is still enjoyable to learn.

An Aside:
I am so impressed by the archives, by the hours and hours of research and work and thoughtful discussions. You know you think of the conventional wisdom about 'fans' and you never consider this -- how the admired person can become the impetus for another project, something that would never have been pursued. This book club is so rich, so full of thoughtful investigation and so far beyond a 'fan pursuit' and THIS is a tribute to the fans themselves, no one else. It's actually exciting, affirming of the creative possibility of what can be born out of admiration. And I will always wonder if anyone anywhere within that cluster of people and organizations that support Mr. Depp's work, if anyone thinks: hey, this is not about celebrity, this is something different. :hatsoff:

Back to the salt mines.

(Mistress I think I have found.....)
Hush Igor... :whistle:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 pm

fireflydances, I think a man like Johnny attracts the best! And yes, the Noodlemantras are an amazing group!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:42 pm

A team contest effort eh, firefly? :mort3:

Johnny has certainly been an inspiration to all of us!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Rats! Why is Desiderata not in the collage? I thought it was a great answer to one of the clues! :rolleyes: Oh well, try, try again . . .

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Just FYI...you will notice that only books are in the collage so all correct answers can be found there, incorrect ones too... :grin: We did not include any of our extra curricular discussions such as Desiderata, short stories, etc.

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:08 am

I filled out a few questions the first night. The easy ones and set the the contest aside. Anyhow tonight I set up listening to the election returns then shot my mouth off a bit online and sit down to try to finish the contest. By the time I guessed the last several questions and got around to reading the rules, I saw I was a few hours late already. Anyhow, I really am not interested in a prize. I would like the correct answers though just because I read most of the books and was stumped by quite a few questions. It was fun to try to guess them though.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Constance

Unread postby Constance » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 am

I have an important question - at least it's important to me :shy:

I am trying to figure out what time 6:00 pm PT/8:00 CT/9:00 ET would be for me?
I am in Denmark, and as far as I can see when I look at a timezone converter, this would make it 2:00 am Thursday my time. Can anyone tell me if I have understood this correctly? :blush:

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am

Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote:I love you guys! :biglaugh:

You know how when people write LOL they don't usually mean it? I laughed so loud at #9 that the cat jumped. Right click on the image of the tree and look at "Properties" in the drop down menu. The jpg name is what?! :harhar:

BUSTED! :harhar: That moment of brilliance came from the one and only DITHOT. I'm not that clever.

Oh and I just gotta say GO GIANTS!

:applause2: :applause2: :applause: :harhar:
I'm with fansmom! Love you guys... made me LOL, too!
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”