Happy Birthday ONBC! ~ Post Your Thoughts Here

Moderator: Liz

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:56 pm

HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY ONBC

I guess you could say I'm a faithful lurker who every now and again pops out to post a thought or two.

Ultimately it was the Monday Night Thread several years ago that pulled me out of lurkdom and then I got brave enough to participate in the discussion of J.M.Barrie and the Lost Boys - a wonderful discussion with Andrew Birkin was included (and of course an excuse to re-read Peter Pan). This would have to be my favorite discussion but I think my favorite books would have to be Rum Diary and FALILV as they not only challenged me to take that first step outside of my box but they also introduced me to the good doctor - of course he was known to me but I had to that point only read what others wrote about him not anything that he had actually written!

I have tried to take further steps out of that comfort zone with mixed results but always with the support of both Liz and DITHOT and the knowledge that there was always room for regular and occassional contributors whatever the topic whatever the book.

So many of you have said it far better so just let me say CONGRATULATIONS to Liz and DITHOT for all they've done to keep ONBC such a wonderful corner of the zone - carry on ladies and here's to the next four!
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:05 am

lizbet wrote: Ultimately it was the Monday Night Thread several years ago that pulled me out of lurkdom and then I got brave enough to participate in the discussion of J.M.Barrie and the Lost Boys - a wonderful discussion with Andrew Birkin was included (and of course an excuse to re-read Peter Pan). This would have to be my favorite discussion but I think my favorite books would have to be Rum Diary and FALILV as they not only challenged me to take that first step outside of my box but they also introduced me to the good doctor - of course he was known to me but I had to that point only read what others wrote about him not anything that he had actually written!

I have tried to take further steps out of that comfort zone with mixed results but always with the support of both Liz and DITHOT and the knowledge that there was always room for regular and occassional contributors whatever the topic whatever the book.

Lizbet, oh the proverbial box. :lol: I'm so glad that Johnny enticed me out of mine. :bounce:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:26 am

Sorry it has taken me so long to chime in here! But I do want to say Happy Birthday, ONBC, and thank you, thank you, thank you, Liz and DITHOT! :bouquet:

As with several others of you, it was the ONBC that finally enticed me out of lurkdom. I had eagerly and silently followed the discussion of Fierce Invalids, which I had read on my own, and was just in awe of the responses of the Noodlemantras. Then when Shantaram came into the picture, I just had to participate. I think that discussion remains my favorite. Other favorites are A Long Way Down and Good Omens and. . .well, pretty much all of them, I guess! :blush:

And, as others have mentioned, I have made some dear new friends through ONBC. I have had the pleasure to meet some of them in real life and that is a priceless gift. Just being a part of this wonderful group is a reward in itself. Thank you all for enriching my life, making me think, providing opportunities for learning and expanding.

I look forward to the next four years and more!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”