Happy Birthday ONBC! ~ Post Your Thoughts Here

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:42 pm

Congratulations to all the Noodlemantras!!!!!!!! The moderators and the talkers and the lurkers!

So much has already been said, about re-discovering the joy of reading, the reading material I never would have found except for Johnny, finding new special friends. :grouphug: This is truly one of the most interesting places on the net. It has greatly enriched my life.

Favorite memory........I think when we were discussing some of the more intricate meanings in Perfume and one of our members began a discourse on French history and I realized how lucky I was to be associating with such educated people -- and still be treated as an equal. Everyone is valued here, all opinions are welcome, we are all respected. I am so amazed and impressed and grateful! You guys rock! : :highfive:

I was glancing through my copies of Shantaram and Fierce Invalids today (looking for contest answers :blush:) and I paused to read some of the passages I had highlighted ........Wow! We have read some remarkable thoughts here! I would love to go back and read those books again.......

Liz and DITHOT, hats off to you for all you do. :disco: I know you must spend hours on research and collaboration for those......ahem......."easy" questions you ask us. Thank you.

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Happy Birthday ONBC! :happybday:

I can honestly say it's been life-changing. I've read books I wouldn't have, had thoughts and felt emotions I wouldn't have, had experiences I wouldn't have... I've been to some pretty odd places one or another. And the ride has been fantastic. Brilliant books. Brilliant discussions. I'm hooked and I'd hate to be without it.
Two favourite books are still Shantaram and The Libertine, for different reasons. The Libertine inspired a very personal response. Shantaram I inflict on everyone. I rave about it to all and sundry and give them copies. But I also love WEGG and TPAOL.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:02 pm

I love the book cover display so much I had to save a copy. ONBC has been my home away from home since I joined the zone.

I have just about caught up with the few books you read before I was around. There are only a couple I have not read and both I saw the movie so I feel like I've almost there.

I've read several more that came from some of the zoners extensive JD book lists. I always loved Johnny but my opinion of him just grows as I try to keep up with his reading list. Since he isn't around to chat about his reading material , you Noodlemantras are the next best thing. Where else can we find so many smart people with so much JD knowledge and willing to explore different reading views and experiences.

I would say my favorite book was Shantaram but since I missed its dicussion I have a hard time picking a favorite discussion. So many discussions have broadened my views that I didn't think would be great books.
I am so glad that Liz and Dithot were inspired to start this group!

Happy Birthday Noodlemantras!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:51 pm

nebraska wrote: I was glancing through my copies of Shantaram and Fierce Invalids today (looking for contest answers :blush:) and I paused to read some of the passages I had highlighted ........Wow! We have read some remarkable thoughts here! I would love to go back and read those books again.......

I know what you mean, Nebraska. I just loved picking up Fierce Invalids the other day. Robbins’ writing just tickles me. :lol: :applause:

I want to encourage ALL OF YOU to participate in the contest even if you have not been with ONBC from the beginning. Not every Noodlemantra has read every book or participated in every discussion. And some of the answers can be found in the Archives. Think of it as a treasure hunt, as it were, and give it your best shot.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts so far. There are so many special moments for me from discussions to friendships. I have learned so much from all of you! :thanks!:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Annie Roux

Unread postby Annie Roux » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:19 pm

:birthdayballoon: to the ONBC!!!

Please pardon a 'newbie' here but I am hoping to join your next discussion of the 2nd John Fante book. I am truly looking forward to it!

I have read several of the books previously discussed by the ONBC... I must say that of those, 'Shantaram' was my favorite. This book literally grabbed ahold of me and took me on one of the best rides of my life. It changed my views on quite a few issues and opened my heart in many ways. I have recommended 'Shantaram' to many people!

Congratulations DITHOT and Liz...my lurking over the last several weeks has shown me what an excellent job you do!

Again, :happybday:

Annie
'I'll come around sometime and get that squeak out of your door...' Roux

Glendaleigh

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 pm

I must admit that I'm not very good at reading on schedule and discussing books. I have, like many others, added books to my reading that I wouldn't have ever considered without the encouragement of ONBC and all of the well-read, reasoning contributions of Noodlemantras.

Shantaram wouldn't have been tackled because I am very squeamish and it is a very heavy (literally, too) book to read. I learned lots.

I won't make a whole list, but being able to refer to past discussions and the introductory informations is just a goldmine of untold literary wealth - knowing something about the background, culture, history, wow, it's just an amazing amount of information to ease a reader into the books!

Thank you, DITHOT and Liz, for making ONBC so user-friendly and welcoming!

Happy birthday to all!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:56 am

Boo-Radley wrote:
Liz wrote:
Boo-Radley wrote: DITHOTbaba & Lizbaba, what can I say I have wonderful memories of being part of great book discussions here, and great memories of sitting the sideline while other Noodlemantras shared their thoughts. I can't tell you how much I miss not being a part of some the discussions that have been going on, or even just sitting sideline. Know you're all in my thoughts, and please keep a place for me, I'll be back as soon as the viciously jealous school monster turns me loose. ;-)

From my salutation can you guess my favorite book discussion memory? Rock On ONBC!!! :ONBC:

Live in Depp
Boo

No fair, Boobaba. Now you are testing my memory. It's not been the best lately. I would say it was The Libertine. ....and a fine book discussion to be sure! We miss you, Boo. But we will save a spot here for you for when you return. :disco:

BTW I'm really liking these ONBC logos you ladies have made. How do you do that?

Lizbaba, I am being much surprised at you...Shantaram is of course...but I am also thinkinng The Libertine, is being very close number two. :lol:

As far as the logo goes, sadly I can't take credit. One of our lovely Zoners {sorry can't remember who :dunce: } made them with her own two hands.

Btw, thanks mate for holding me a spot. :pirategunshot:

Live in Depp
Boo

Oops. :blush: For some reason my mind was going to your signature, not your salutation. I was surprised by that as I thought you were a huge Shantaram fan.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:01 am

Corz wrote::happybday: ONBC!!!

Many thanks to the ONBC! I have read many of the books because of it!

Love the book covers! They're great!!

Parlez and Corz, glad you like the covers. I have to give credit to my first co-moderator, Tanzy, for doing four of them--Perfume, TTOYL, TRD and OTR. I still hold her close to my heart.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:06 am

Glendaleigh wrote:I must admit that I'm not very good at reading on schedule and discussing books. I have, like many others, added books to my reading that I wouldn't have ever considered without the encouragement of ONBC and all of the well-read, reasoning contributions of Noodlemantras.

Shantaram wouldn't have been tackled because I am very squeamish and it is a very heavy (literally, too) book to read. I learned lots.

I won't make a whole list, but being able to refer to past discussions and the introductory informations is just a goldmine of untold literary wealth - knowing something about the background, culture, history, wow, it's just an amazing amount of information to ease a reader into the books!

Thank you, DITHOT and Liz, for making ONBC so user-friendly and welcoming!

Happy birthday to all!

Thanks Glendaleigh. Shantaram is just an amazing book. As you, Gemini, Boo and Suec have said, it is one of my favorites, too. And I feel so good to have been able to turn on so many of my friends and colleagues (outside of the Zone) to the book.

Annie Roux…. so happy to have you here! I look forward to your joining us for ATD.

It’s so hard for me to pick a favorite. I love Secret Window, Secret Garden because it was the first. And I love On the Road, WEGG, and Ask the Dust because I loved doing the tidbits (oops….that’s for next year—but most of my tidbits for it were before our birthday). As far as discussions go, it’s probably a tie between Shantaram, J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, The People’s Act of Love, and Inamorata for favorite discussion. But I think my favorite all time book for tidbits and discussion is Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas. I loved doing the tidbits, loved delving into Hunter and loved his writing. I also got into the symbolism of it. The most beautifully written books were On the Road, The Rum Diary, Perfume and Shantaram. The most fun books were Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and Good Omens.

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Glendaleigh wrote:I must admit that I'm not very good at reading on schedule and discussing books. I have, like many others, added books to my reading that I wouldn't have ever considered without the encouragement of ONBC and all of the well-read, reasoning contributions of Noodlemantras.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Glendaleigh !! I've read
Shantaram, The Ginger Man, and Happy Days and probably wouldn't have looked twice at their covers before seeing them discussed here. I value your recommendations emmensely. Maybe I'll make a New Year's resolution to become a regular participant in 2008.

Happy, Happy Birthday ONBC... wishing you many, many more !!
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Lucky13 wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself, Glendaleigh !! I've read
Shantaram, The Ginger Man, and Happy Days and probably wouldn't have looked twice at their covers before seeing them discussed here. I value your recommendations emmensely. Maybe I'll make a New Year's resolution to become a regular participant in 2008.

Yippee! :snoopydances: We'd love to have you, Lucky13.

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 pm

Congratulations and Happy 4th anniversary, ONBC!!!!Thanks to our "fearless leaders", Liz and DITHOT :hug: for all your hard work and the amazing tidbits you find for each and every book we read. :cool:

Before I joined the Zone, I had already read many of the books you have read here - so I just figure you have great taste :blush: And I still read the books each month and follow the tidbits and discussions even though real life doesn't let me participate as much as I would like to.

So thanks and congrats again to everyone for making ONBC such a fun and interesting place to be on the Zone. :ONBC:

PS - A favourite book? Probably Shantaram which I read in hardcover three (?) years ago or Perfume (which I must have read 5 years ago) Oh and of course, Fear and Loathing which has been a favourite book of mine since the late 70's :-O
Last edited by rainbowsoul on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:45 pm

Congratulations and Many Thanks, Liz and DITHOT for your lively diligence, hard work and kindness!!!
I'd been wanting to find a book club that would encourage me to broaden my reading range, make me read more carefully and help me to get more deeply into the material. Well, I got all that and so much more with these Johnny-related books and bright, creative deep-thinking Noodlemantras!
Have to join the Shantaram gang for my favorite discussion memory but have many favorites, including discovering our latest guy, John Fante.
Great and challenging and tempting quiz.....think the week may be too hectic for me to try to jump in, but....
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:58 pm

ONBC

Thanks Liz and DITHOT, for the incredible amount of work you do on the tidbits, moderating the discussions and arranging special treats (the Darlene Cates Q&A). ONBC has broadened my reading list and I have enjoyed discussing the books in the last year. I love reading everyone's opinions and seeing things from many different viewpoints. There is always something interesting to learn. Thank you to all who participate in the discussions.

TPAOL was my favorite discussion, since I've been here. Another favorite memory is the ONBC Monday Night Thread.

Shantaram has become on of my favorite books also.

Happy Birhtday Noodlemantras!
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”