HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONBC

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:44 pm

V, I just knew you would be the one to post that pic on the boat....er, ship! Thanks!!! :thud:

Charlene, reading the two versions of Desiderata posted I only find one small difference. ONBC discussed this a while back and I am including a link below to our archives so you can read the tidbit regarding the origins of the poem. Our discussion can also be read followint the link. It is one of my favorites, thanks Chocolat and Charlene for reminding me to read it again! :cool:

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12499&highlight=desiderata
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nila_admiresmr.depp

Unread postby nila_admiresmr.depp » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:56 pm

:happybday:

Just wanted to join the festivities:

1. A thought about books in general
A good book can open you to worlds previously unknown and help you realize that others have felt the things you have felt before. A book can teach you how to solve life's problems or give you someone who will empathize when there is no solution. Books are treasures that you can open whenever you need to escape or indulge yourself in something that either isn't you at all or is so close to you it is comfort.

2. A thought about ONBC
I have only read the posts and never really participated, but how I do enjoy reading those posts. I hope to be able to share in your journies through literature in the future.

3. A thought about the Zone
Oh my goodness, how incredibly blessed I feel to have found the Zone. At first, I didn't know if it was too good to be true and was afraid to join, but as I explored more and read so many amazing conversations and comments, I realized I had found a wonderful place to share my thoughts and passions about the work of a wonderful man.

4. A thought about Johnny
Johnny, a sensitive, caring, patient, and incredible man. A man secure in his insecurity, and so in love with his family: Someone who has learned to immerse himself in the things that are important to him. His acting is so often perfection on the silver screen because he sees what many others miss and creates it for us all.

5. A thought about an inspiration from Johnny

And finally, Johnny has inspired me to search for those that are hurting, and give them something to hold on to, to embrace those that are different, and to show patience to all.
"With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be; otherwise, it's just not acting. It's lying."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:10 am

nila_admiresmr.depp, welcome to ONBC! :welcome: We are glad you dropped by to join the festivities and hope you will join us in one of our upcoming disucssions. You have expressed very well how many of us feel about the Zone and Johnny. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:15 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:V, I just knew you would be the one to post that pic on the boat....er, ship! Thanks!!! :thud:

Charlene, reading the two versions of Desiderata posted I only find one small difference. ONBC discussed this a while back and I am including a link below to our archives so you can read the tidbit regarding the origins of the poem. Our discussion can also be read followint the link. It is one of my favorites, thanks Chocolat and Charlene for reminding me to read it again! :cool:

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12499&highlight=desiderata

Thanks DITHOT...now how did I miss that original post? I know I ordered this book about a year ago, so I must have been keeping up on some level. :-?

It appears that my version, which looks geared to children (and would make a nice bedtime read) left that portion out which would have no meaning for a child.

Thanks, once again, for keeping us on the straight and narrow. Angels ye be. :angel:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:21 am

Charlene wrote: Thanks DITHOT...now how did I miss that original post? I know I ordered this book about a year ago, so I must have been keeping up on some level. :-?

Maybe ONBC is sending out subliminal signals! :hypnotic:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Veronica wrote: The ZONE wow what a ride it has been since I found this place. I cant imaging my life without you guys. Would Johnny be an obsession without you. I somehow think even though I would love him I think that its the Zone that feeds it & makes it grow. I know I can always come by find something to read, something great to look at!!! :drool: and something that makes me giggle. thanks to all who make this place what it is!!! :notworthy: :bouquet:

V, nice to see you. :wave: Drop by when you can. I'm glad life is treating you so well. :cool: And I have to agree with you here. I admire the man immensely and will always be a fan, but this admiration is enhanced by all of you at the Zone.

nila_admiresmr.depp, glad you joined the partay and :welcome: to ONBC. We hope you take a journey with us in the near future.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

rustyred

Unread postby rustyred » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:16 pm

birthday # 3 - such a great and lucky number!

Invitation

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar.
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golder tales to spin,
Come-in!
Come-in!

( - my fave ....Shel Silverstein)

Always a delightful place to come and stay awhile -
thanks Liz, Dithot and all the ladies who add to the joy here.
Continue the great work

My fave Johnny
This assignment has been the hardest yet
There are so many gorgeous shots of him so....

I finally had to limit it to one that embodies Johnny's genuine grace and unslefish generosity , plus it had to be one that meant something for me too

this was a close second - not that I was there but children are everything
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/rustynancy/Japan%20Magazines/bow.jpg
Do you like me........now?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:31 pm

Hey there, RR! Good to see you around these parts! :wave: Thanks for posting the Shel Silverstein, always one of my favorites. :flashingheart:

That is indeed a special picture with fond memories for many. Thanks for sharing it here. I love that picture of Johnny with the little girl in Japan. There is such joy on all the faces in that photo!
:cloud9:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:22 pm

rustyred wrote: birthday # 3 - such a great and lucky number!
I finally had to limit it to one that embodies Johnny's genuine grace and unslefish generosity , plus it had to be one that meant something for me too

Rusty, nice to see you. :wave: Gotta love Shel. And 3 is indeed a lucky number. And all I can say to your picture choice is: Wow! :lilyrose:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:51 am

Books: ‘The tired man wants a book to read; the eager man wants to read a book’. GK Chesterton. Sorry to open with an unoriginal thought – but hey, it’s what books are about for me. It used to be my signature and I like it so much I’m going to use it again. And what are books for if they don't become part of us? I have always been a bookworm, like my mum and grandma before me. It was my gran who taught me to read before I went to school. But I used to read for escapism, as a refuge, to be transported into other worlds. Then as an adult, I have got to admit, I used to read as the tired man does. I would read something familiar, predictable, something – anything - where I could just switch off, change my brain into neutral and treat it as eye candy, not remembering anything about it a week later. It would just be relaxation after work. About 3 years ago, I was up for something better. I wanted books that would make me think, enrich me, change me. That happened to coincide with the ONBC starting!

ONBC: I didn’t join in for Secret Window, Secret Garden, but from Perfume onwards, I was in. ONBC has facilitated that quest for personal growth. I read all kinds of things I never would have in a million years. I love the idea of us all mucking in, and embarking on a journey through the book together, sharing thoughts equally. Some things I have read have blown me away. I didn’t expect to get into biographies, for instance. As I have stated, I used to read for escapism. Now I read to connect with others – within the book and ONBC itself. My journeys through the books haven’t been just cerebral; they have been literal physical experiences too. I have gone to all sorts of fantastic places and had some great times. Not just The Libertine tour, but the JM Barrie one too. I went to Eton College and saw George’s name on a memorial for the dead of WW1. That hit me right in the gut. I have memories that I carry with me every day. I haven’t been here much lately; I didn’t have a computer. It gave me pause for thought, I can tell you. I learn so much here; have so much fun. And of course, you all rock! Liz and DIDHOT, I can’t believe the amount of work you put into this. It really is a labour of love and it shows. :cloud9:

The Zone: Well I don’t visit the other boards often enough. I simply don’t have the time. But here’s a thought that occurs to me. ‘It’s OK to be different’ is something that could of course equally fit in with the Johnny question. But what I have learnt here is that I am not so different after all. So many have similar thoughts and experiences and when I hear those different voices from all over the place, often I think that we are saying pretty much the same things, which I find a great comfort.

Johnny: I am not going to try sum him up! I love him. The planet is a wonderful, awesome thing not only but especially because he is on it. Those are 2 thoughts that I have every day of my life and they make me happy every single time.

Johnny as inspiration: Where do I start? The list is endless. The main message would be that life is precious and wonderful – and short – so make the most of it. There are so many variations on this theme, from his tattoo to his bracelet. Here’s something that I found on the Zone a long time ago (Thanks !!!): ‘Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away’. Not Johnny, but it could have been. I have it displayed in my room at work – and now, so do all of my colleagues, who were as affected by it as I was. He affects me profoundly. I am a ‘glass half empty ‘ kind of girl. I don’t like that, but it’s the way I am. But my friend asked me how come I was always so positive where Johnny was concerned? She even used the phrase: whenever Johnny is involved, my glass is always half full. That was the day we went to the premiere and I just expected I was going to meet him. Crowd or no crowd. And so it was. I am learning to get into that groove of thinking, of being positive. Get off your backside; go and seek out what you want; search for the moments that take your breath away – and you will get them. I have learnt that from Johnny. Along with a whole number of other things too, of course.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:52 pm

Very well said as always, suec! It's good to have you back on board! :cool: ONBC owes you a huge thank you for all the wonderful real world journies you have shared with us... J.M. Barrie, John Wilmot and don't forget J.P. Donleavy as well! You made all those places and people we had only read about come alive for us! You are definitely our ace in the field! :press: :bouquet:

Wow! What a ride!

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:17 pm

This has been a really fun thread to read, I love everyones responses! :cool:

1. About books ~ I love books! I have way to many to read ..lol! Where would our world be without books? To be able to wrap your mind around a book is a great escape into another life, time and experience!

2. About ONBC ~ What can I say...you guys are the greatest! I always feel comfortable here even if I can never keep up with what your reading...I know I'm welcome. What an awesome idea to have a book club based on books that Johnny reads!! That is so cool!

3. About JDZ ~ Oh...my home away from home! :grouphug:
JDZ has given me one of the best gifts in my entire life.....a place to come talk about Johnny and meet such wonderful, special people who are so like minded. What a gift that is. :heart2:
I have met my best friends here, so thank you to all who run it....you've changed many lives!

4. About Johnny ~ Oh boy.....Talk about someone who has changed my life. He's just a beautiful, beautiful man...both inside and out! He has captured me with his beauty...and kept me because of his soul. He's like no other :heart:

5. Insprational thoughts about Johnny ~ He has taught me to live each day, take risks & accept people. I can honestly say that because of Johnny I have so many memories, have met so many good friends and traveled so much. I hate to fly....big fear of mine. However, since I discovered living....I have flown to Europe with my family to meet a zoner...and I've flown numerous times to see a Johnny related event and meet up with zoners I met right here. He has inspired me to live life and have no regrets. He's a huge inspiration in my life. Thank you Johnny! :lilyrose:

Lady Jill

Happy Birthday ONBC

Unread postby Lady Jill » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:52 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONBC and its' creators!
I am one of the Newbies - excited on being here for sure and LOVE reading everyones response to the questions. . .and the yummy pictures of Johnny!

1. I LOVE a good book! It slows me down from my cares and worries, besides often creating a challenge to me to learn. The best, are the ones I can't put down; that consume my thoughts like wildfire. They stretch my imagination!

2. Ah! the Zone! I am so happy to be in the Zone now. And I really appreciate all of you old timers that know so much and share everything! Thanks for the puzzles ! and the FUN!

3. What an amazing man with so much to give - so much compassion - so REAL! He is such an unusal character to be in the "Hollywood" scene. He is an actor with dedication to each and every character that he plays.

4. The GREATEST INSPIRATION I get from Johnny is looking at his giving, caring and compassionent ways and striving to have them in my life. As a role model, "he is helping me" be a better person.

If I could ( I am in Maryland and not on my computer with DSL ), I would attach my picture of Johnny, dressed as Captain Jack, in Redondo Beach ( I think it was ). . . he is facing the camera, walking forward by an ORV with a big smile on his face! What comes to mind with this picture, is Dustin's message: Today is a Gift. Have Fun!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR POSTS!!! Lady Jill

Lady Jill

????

Unread postby Lady Jill » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:03 pm

Can anyone be so kind as to post the picture I can't get my hand on right now? That'll be the one in my previous post. I'd love to see it!
Thanks,
Lady Jill :cloud9:

thatgirl

Unread postby thatgirl » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:01 pm

Is this it?
My eyesight's as good as ever, just so you know. ~CJS

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”