HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONBC

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:02 am

:ONBC: Oprah Noodlemantra’s Book Club began at Two Past Midnight on November 1, 2003 with our first book selection, Stephen King’s Secret Window, Secret Garden, also known as Two Past Midnight—the second in a compilation of 4 short stories entitled Four Past Midnight. We’ve been going strong ever since due to a little help from our friends—all of you—and due to Johnny’s prolific interest in reading and optioning books. Thank you Johnny and thank you Noodlemantras. :thanks!:

To celebrate our 3rd fruitful year, we thought we’d ask you to bring something to the party. No presents are required. But what we would like is for you to share your thoughts—your thoughts about the last 3 years. And we know how much you all like lists (thank you, Nick Hornby). So if you could be so kind……..

Please bring with you to the partay a list of 5 thoughts pertaining to the last 3 years:

1. A thought about books in general

2. A thought about ONBC

3. A thought about the Zone

4. A thought about Johnny

5. A thought about an inspiration from Johnny

And finally, if you would like, you may post your favorite Johnny pic from the last 3 years.

If you post to this thread by 11:59 p.m. PST Saturday, November 4, you will be eligible for a drawing for a door prize. :bounce:

We will announce the winner on the Monday Night Thread on November 6.

DITHOT and I have had a blast over the last 3 years. All of you have been the major reason why. Thank you all for contributing your amazing insights and wit and making it so fun to be here. And thank you, Johnny. We would not be here without you. :notworthy:

Cheers to all.
:toastingpirates:

Liz & DITHOT
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Red Shoes

Unread postby Red Shoes » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:19 am

:birthdayballoon:

Well I'm very new so I feel a little silly posting first (but maybe someone'll post while I'm still typing), but I really wanted to say a big Happy Birthday to all you Noodlemantras, and congrats to the ladies who run it on three years of what looks like great reads and fabulous chats.

I really really look forward to joining you on the next book. :noodlemantra:

Ok, my thoughts, for what they're worth...

1. Books! What can I say? What would the world be without them? There is nothing like the feeling of being lost in the story and emotion of a good book. What I love the most is when a book is so good that I literally can't put it down when I'm finished, I have to hold onto it for a bit longer to soak it in. Hope you know what I mean. :blush:

2. ONBC - can't wait to join in! I've been dying for a chance to use my brain a bit more lately!

3. The Zone - *respect* is all I can say. You all have so much respect for Johnny, his work and his family and I love that. It is so important to me to respect other people and their choices for their life.

4. Johnny - is a truly gifted, magical, spiritual being. I admire him like no other simply because of how *true* he is.

5. An inspiration from Johnny - the way Johnny always has time a patience for pretty much everyone inspires me, to look at myself and ask whether I have that much love, respect and generosity. I hope one day I do.

"It's good to be different."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:54 am

:happybday: :ONBC:

Books, have always been a way of discovering new things sometimes new worlds, sometimes based in reality, sometimes pure escapism into fantasy.

ONBC as I said in the other thread, I can credit you with encouraging me to read more books, some books I would probably never have read and to enjoy the discussions even when the questions have me :perplexed: :thanks!:

The Zone is a wonderful community of like minded individuals, who I love to talk to on a daily basis

Johnny is unique, he is an amazingly gifted actor, a gentle and wonderful human being, inside and out, and he is the reason we are here and has brought us all together.

Not sure I can answer the last one as he has not personally inspired me, other than to appreciate him as the wonderful human being that he is

stipje

Unread postby stipje » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:16 am

Happy birthday Noodlemantras! :happybday:

Books -> Where would we be without them? It's great to be able to loose yourself in a good story, identify yourself with the characters and get to know them. It's a shame to say I don't really have the time to read, lately, but I make sure to squeeze some in, every once in a while.

ONBC -> You ladies are amazing. Thanks for running this part of the Zone for the last three years the way you do, and thanks for bringing books to us wich we never would've read otherwise. I'll make an effort out of trying to join in on one of the upcoming discussions, but that may be a tough one. I'll be back, though!

The Zone -> Wonderful place full of loving, caring and respectful people. It's my home away from home, like I'm sure it is for many others, and I'm glad to have met all you ladies and build up some wonderful friendships :goodvibes:

Johnny -> A gorgeous human being, inside and out, who is a great example for a lot of people out there. He's incredibly talented and even more so by sharing this gift with all of us through his movies :cloud9:

Inspiration -> Johnny's exceptance, generousity, kindness, etc. towards everything and everyone. If I can be even remotely like that, I know I can be proud of myself, whatever postion in life I'm in.

*If I didn't spend all of my money on Johnny Depp, I'd be driving a Mercedes..

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:24 am

Hey DITHOT and Liz!!

Congrats on a great and never boring 3 years :reader:

I will have to do the assignment later but wanted you to see this.

Young Johnny is really impressed with your book club. :biglaugh:
He honored you both with a tat! :bounce:

"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:57 am

Happy Birthday Noodlemantras !!!!

As a newer member of the Zone, I'm really looking forward to discussing Happy Days in the coming weeks and would like to thank Liz and DeepintheHeartofTexas for all their efforts with ONBC.

Books : The wonder of books -- whether for education or recreation are a very intrical part of my life. Nothing better than having a wonderful book to help momentarily or temporarily remove some of the stresses in our overly busy lives.

ONBC : I'm truly looking forward to sharing my thoughts and comments with other Zoners. I might even learn a thing or two !

ZONE: An amazing and remarkable place to share all things Johnny. There is an immense repesct for all members, a quality Johnny would truly admire.

Johnny: He is an incredibly talented actor, a kind and very compasionate individual, with endless generosity.

INSPIRATION: Johnny has inspired me to give unconditionally and generously of my time and talents. The kindness and generosity that come from within our souls is truly a priceless gift. Image

:happybday:
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:37 am

Welcome to our new members Red Shoes and Lucky13! :welcome: We are glad you found ONBC and look forward to you joining us in any of our discussions! You too stipje! :noodlemantra:

Raven, Johnny’s new tattoo is too cool! :yikes:

GG, sorry to make you :perplexed: but you know we have to try our hardest!
;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:04 am

:happybday: HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY ONBC!! :happybday:

I've really enjoyed the past three years and I want to thank Liz and DITHOT for keeping ONBC going and making it a great place to come discuss books! Johnny has really opened my eyes to some very interesting literature that I probably would never have read. So, thanks to goes to Johnny as well. Looking forward to many more years together!

Books- I've always been a reader and I find books a wonderful escape, and a way to see how others live, think, feel, etc. Some stories can really bring on emotions, laughter, and thoughts that stay with you for a long time. I've got an endless list of books I'd like to read some day. Hopefully, I'll get to some of them. :blush:

ONBC- I think this is such a clever idea, to read books that Johnny has found, read, and enjoyed. Nice way to get to know more about the man and feel connected somehow. Book lovers, unite!! The tidbits and brain twisting questions/discussions make this a unique way to stay involved with reading and Johnny. Raven, I love Johnny's 'new' tattoo.

Zone- well, my life has not been the same since discovering Johnny and subsequently, The Zone and I'm thankful for it!! There is something special about being able to be around like-minded friends in a great community like the Zone.

Johnny- talented, beautiful, generous, thoughtful, curious, open-minded, strong, kind, gracious, scruffy, unique, tenacious, loyal, rascal, gypsy, musician.............. :cloud9:

Inspiration from Johnny- to appreciate all people; to take time to be kind; to hold fast to what you believe inspite of what others think; and be true to yourself.

Thanks to all that contribute their thoughts and ideas here! :ONBC:

One of so many I love....

Last edited by KYwoman on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:29 am

Books are my life. Since I've been able to read (age 3) - all I ever wanted to was to read and write - so to me books are everything.

2. A thought about ONBC

What a lovely place to visit!! I don't always participate regularly in the discussions, but I love reading them - and to me ONBC is one of the great highlights of the Zone.

A great place to visit, a nice place to live. There's no place like "Zone".

What a wonderful man he's grown into. Always talented, always striving to do better. Someone to admire. Always humble.

Each day, in so many ways, I'm inspired by that dear man. Whether it's working on an every day sort of job & just being inspired to do my best (because he would) - or to pick up the guitar & start playing again (because he would) - or simply to read more and varied books (because he would) - is grand inspiration.

The picture of Johnny, the sentiment - and ONBC - are all precious...
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:12 am

Red Shoes wrote: What I love the most is when a book is so good that I literally can't put it down when I'm finished, I have to hold onto it for a bit longer to soak it in. Hope you know what I mean. :blush:

I know exactly what you mean, Red Shoes. Thanks for your thoughts and bravery in getting us started here. And welcome to ONBC.

GG, glad you enjoy participating here even if our questions are sometimes difficult. You are not alone.

Stipje, I know it’s hard to fit reading into a busy life. Join us when you can.

Raven, I love Johnny’s new tat.

Lucky13, glad you will be joining us.

KY, I like your description of Johnny. I think you’ve covered it all.

Linda B, thanks for the sentiment and the lovely picture.

And thank you all so far for sharing your thoughts and kind words. :heart2:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:30 am

1. about books
I read a quote once which said "and choose an author as you would choose a friend" - I apply this to books in general, a good book is like a good friend.

2. about ONBC
it's a novel (unitentional pun...) creative, intelligent way of sharing and expressing our admiration for JD. although I regret not having enough time to participate fully, I always enjoy reading the discussions.

3. about the Zone
what can I say - where would I be without it? It's a wonderful community - full of love, respect, culture, creativity, humour - it reflects our man.

4. about Johnny
Inspirational.

5. Inspiration
JD has definitely inspired me in terms of being more open-minded - to look at people and situations from a different point of view.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:26 pm

:happybday: The :yahoo: ONBC :ONBC: IS :bouquet: THREE! :happybday:

1. A thought about books in general :cloud9:

-- I've always really enjoyed books. I lived in Japan for 18 years. When I moved back to Canada, I found that I could spend all day just browsing the titles of books in almost any shop. I was amazed by the amount of English I was looking at. I wanted to dive right on into reading. But Which book? :perplexed:

2. A thought about ONBC :ohyes:
-- Hmmm. I enjoy being able to really think about the books. Think about what Johnny has in common with those books. Ponder why Johnny would be intrigued enough with them to pick them up and read them. It also helps me immesly in deciding which book to pick!

3. A thought about the Zone :grouphug:
-- A great international place to hang out in.

4. A thought about Johnny :love:
-- Does :giddy: count?

5. A thought about an inspiration from Johnny :motorcycle:
-- Be it, do it, experience it. Gonzo. On the Road. Shantaram. Very inspiring.

And finally, if you would like, you may post your favorite Johnny pic from the last 3 years. :film:
I'd like to share a photo that shows Johnny being happy and proud,
perfectly beautiful while getting down and dirty,
Being there, doing it,
having FUN at a PARTAY!

Last edited by Depputante on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 13 times in total.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Peachy, he sure has opened my mind.

Depputante, interesting your reaction to the English language when you returned to Canada. It appears you were starved for it.

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:12 pm

I've always loved to read. I am an only child and spent alot of time alone when I was younger. Books kept me company. Going to the library was always so exciting... saying goodbye to books I'd read... discovering new book and the adventures they held.

2. A thought about ONBC

The ONBC is fantastic! I have a great deal of trouble getting my thoughts put into comprehensible words, but the questions (and reading everyone elses's responses) always help me see the book in a new light. I've never had the opportunity to discuss what I read with anyone else (outside of assigned reading from school). Also, the ONBC book list has really broadened the types of books I read. I'm still VERY behind on my "to-read" list, but it's worth it!

There's not enough words to adequate express how amazing the Zone has been! I started coming here as an escape from the stress of daily life (Johnny is a great escape), but have found a wonderful group of women... friendly, fun and supportive! I will forever be grateful for the friendships I've made here!

How can you just pick one thought? He's beautiful and an amazingly talented actor. He has really raised the bar for what I consider to be good acting! I watch other actors and think "Who told them they could act?" They can't hold a candle to his abilities. He says more in one look than most actors can in a 10 minute speech.

I have so many inspirations that come from Johnny. The lastest inspiration from him that I'm working hard to incorporate into my own life is living in the moment... give whatever you're doing at the moment your full and undivided attention. I haven't gotten there yet, but hopefully one day!
There's no way to pick just one photo.... but here's one that always make me :thud:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/EpiPhD/savvy1.jpg
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Here's my list:

Books: Whatever book I am currently reading tends to find its way into my real life. I see parallels. It affects the way I look at my everyday life. There are many coincidences (that aren’t).

ONBC: It is unlike any other book club because:

• It is Johnny inspired

• The discussions go into so much deppth

• The members are so insightful

and

• It is enhanced by the fact that there is such a wide variety of members from all over the world, all ages and all walks of life

The Zone: I feel so fortunate that I found the Zone. It has so much to offer from pictures, news and chat to inspiration, but most of all for the friendships that it has spawned.

Johnny: What can I say that others haven’t said. He is the most talented actor of his generation, a good person and truly an inspiration to so many and a catalyst for so many good things.

Inspiration from Johnny: He has inspired me to take risks.

And my favorite picture from the last 3 years:

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”