It's a Birthday Party ~ And You're Invited!

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

It's a Birthday Party ~ And You're Invited!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 am

Happy Birthday ONBC!!!! :happybday:

We are three years old and it’s time to celebrate! :snoopydances: :yahoo: :toastingpirates:

(Thanks to Liz for the great collage of all our books!)

ONBC was born three years ago when our first discussion of Stephen King’s Secret Window, Secret Garden began at two past midnight on November 1, 2003. As is our annual tradition, we will begin our celebration at two past midnight (Pacific Standard Time) this Wednesday. We would like to invite you to drop by the partay! :welcome:

Drop by anytime between November 1 and Saturday night, November 4, at 11:59 PST, and just for saying hello you will automatically be registered to win an ONBC Birthday door prize!:giddy:

Hope to see you there!
:wave:

While I have your attention…a few more announcements! :press:

Mark your calendars! The Monday Night Thread returns next week, Monday, November 6. Come join us! :bounce:

I hope you all have found your copy of our next read, Happy Days by Laurent Graff. :noodlemantra: Tidbits begin in mid-November and our discussion will begin on December 4.
:parrot:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:42 am

Congratulations ONBC :ONBC: :flashingheart: ..Just in case I don't make it,have a great book party.. :bounce: I can't think of anything better..Many thanks to Liz and DITHOT and all you wonderful contributors :grouphug: :toastingpirates: ...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks, gilly! We're pretty excited about turning 3! :bounce: Drop by anytime after midnight and join the party! :snoopydances:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:08 am

:happybday: :ONBC:
Thank you, DITHOT for your beautiful presentation of all the books you have already discussed. I have been reading the archives and thought I knew most of them but wasn't sure if I had them all. I have set myself a goal of reading everything that Johnny has mentioned and need to make sure I catch up to all of the ones you ladies have finished.

I've been busy this month with two versions of Sweeney Todd, A long way down, The Peoples Act of Love, and the Whiskey Robber. I can't wait to discuss the last two. My copies of Shantaram and Happy Days both just arrived from Amazon.com so I'm catching up fast.

Since its ONBC's birthday, I though it might be fitting to look into the clubs history by reading some of the old posts graciously provided by DeepInDepp in the History of the Zone thread in the Pit. Here is ONBC's link and many of the threads are still working.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040203081119/http://www.dream-tools.com/tools/messages.mv?index+jdzbookclub
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Cesar'sSusie

Unread postby Cesar'sSusie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:23 am

Happy Birthday, ONBC!!! You're one of the main reasons I came to the Depp Zone! :bouquet:

Great work ladies for a one-of-a-kind forum! I appreciate all that you've done to keep us well-read!

Thanks so much! :cool:

:happybday:
"He's that and a whole lot more," said his driver. "He's a wonderful guy. I'll tell
you firsthand, he's a great man."
. . .and the Golden Globe goes to . . .
Johnny DEPP, for Sweeney Todd-The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:46 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONBC!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work DITHOT and LIZ!

:happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday:

I just noticed in the other post we were supposed to bring some answers to those questions to this party. I need to think on those, but seeing as it is almost 1 a.m., the brain isn't firing on all cylinders at the moment........I will have to get back to you.
Last edited by Gypsylee on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:49 am

:happybday: :ONBC: , I can happily credit you with encouraging me to read more books, some of which I would not have read if not for the fact you decided to discuss them :reader: . Thanks Liz and DITHOT, I look forward to joining in some more discussions, even if they often make me feel :perplexed: :toastingpirates:

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:27 am

A very :happybday: to ONBC ... wishing you many, many more in the years to come !!

Drinks all around !!! :toastingpirates:

Looking forward to the discussions in the weeks to follow !!
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:28 am

Thanks everyone! We don't feel a day over 2! :lol: Welcome to the partay! In order to keep track of everyone, please post your thoughts on the other birthday thread. We don't want to miss anyone for the drawing of the ONBC Birthday door prize! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:34 am

Happy birthday, ladies! Although I've been unable to find the time to catch up with your reading, I greatly admire the discipline and thoroughness with which you run the ONBC. Excellent research, fantastic format and friendly and intelligent mods. Long may ONBC live!
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:27 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ONBC!!
Although I have read many of the books listed here, I seem to never have time to discuss them, but I am reading what I can.
I am almost finished with Inamorata and am about to crack open Shantaram, which seems to be quite a dedicated read, but I am up for it...
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:35 am

Thank you, Anna & johnnybloom! It is indeed a labor of love!

Wow! What a ride!

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:10 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:[ It is indeed a labor of love!

If it's a labor of love then I may get started sooner than I thought....
I only have about 100 pages of Inamorata left and am really anxious to start Shantaram....
May have to find the discussion pages to help me get through it...
~3~

~~ Johnny Depp~~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks for your kind birthday wishes, all.

Johnnybloom, glad you are catching up on the books. Inamorata and Shantaram are great books.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 am

I jumped from Sweeney Todd right into Inamorata...I look forward to Shantaram..
I am still behind as far as happy Days and Peoples Act of Love...
But I am always one step behind and like Jack I am always running between the raindrops in my life..
Looks like it is the same with my ONBC list...
(I would say I have Shantaram right in my pocket ready to be read but :censored: it's a big book to carry in my pocket, even in my purse!!!)
~3~

~~ Johnny Depp~~

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”