It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gonzo Interview on NPR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:43 pm 

All Things Considered, a National Public Radio syndicated program, is running a piece on Gonzo. It features an interview with Jan Wenner, and Johnny's voice as Hunter in FALILV.

There is also a discussion / excerpt herehttp://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16338510

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:24 am 
JDZ Moderator

Thanks for the link, Stroch. I don't have time to listen to this right now but will later. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:18 pm 

stroch, do their stories stay around in the archives so they can be accessed at a later date? Thanks for posting the info! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
stroch, do their stories stay around in the archives so they can be accessed at a later date? Thanks for posting the info! :cool:
Yes, stories stay in NPR's archives for years.

Thanks for posting this, stroch. As much as I listen to NPR, I missed it--because I was at the movies, watching "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:32 pm 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom, one can only juggle so many multiples of 6 degrees at one time. :grin: Was it good?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:55 pm 

It was amazing, Liz. I liked it much better than the book, and I'm actually glad Johnny wasn't in it. Parts of it were agonizing as it was, and if Johnny had played Jean-Do Bauby, it would have keeled me. Much of it is done from his point of view, with a voice-over for the thoughts he is unable to utter, and it is heartbreaking.

Another sad part is that I don't know if anyone else will ever get to see it. I saw it at the AFI theater as part of their European film festival, and had to sit through more than a half hour of speeches (I don't care if you're an ambassador, I came to see a movie!) before the film. (Plus there were all those people in suits and cocktail dresses in the lobby between me and the popcorn counter.) IMDB doesn't list any future showings in the country.

Put it on your netflix list now, if you can, but remember that it's both subtitled and better on a big screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:21 pm 

Thanks for the report, fansmom. It sounds like a heartbreaking film. I hope you got your popcorn! :popcorn:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:24 pm 

I hope you got your popcorn! :popcorn:
Nope. :bawl: When I saw the crowd, I went into the theater, chose a good seat, and read my used bookstore paperback of "Donnie Brasco."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:13 am 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:
Another sad part is that I don't know if anyone else will ever get to see it. I saw it at the AFI theater as part of their European film festival, and had to sit through more than a half hour of speeches (I don't care if you're an ambassador, I came to see a movie!) before the film. (Plus there were all those people in suits and cocktail dresses in the lobby between me and the popcorn counter.) IMDB doesn't list any future showings in the country.

Well, you are very fortunate. I hope we can all see it, though. :hope:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 pm 

fansmom wrote:
I hope you got your popcorn! :popcorn:
Nope. :bawl: When I saw the crowd, I went into the theater, chose a good seat, and read my used bookstore paperback of "Donnie Brasco."

Glad you were able to console yourself there, fansmom. ;-)

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]