HST book Recommendations?

Moderator: Liz

lumineuse

HST book Recommendations?

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:01 pm

Hi all. I have read The Rum Diary and, of course, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and would like to read more HST. But I am having a hard time choosing because there are so many books, and apparently there is a chronology that I haven't figured out. Can anyone recommend where to go from here? I would appreciate your input!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:06 pm

I have recently read F+L on the campaign trail 72 which was good, but you have to either be old enough to remember some of the political characters, or be American and keen on politics, or both. It is worth perserveing with, I think.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Endora wrote:I have recently read F+L on the campaign trail 72 which was good, but you have to either be old enough to remember some of the political characters, or be American and keen on politics, or both. It is worth perserveing with, I think.

I'll be 49 in Oct, so I remember that election quite well. That would probably be a good one to read, especially since Hunter seems to think that the re-election of Nixon was the beginning of the end. Thanks for the recommendation, Endora.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:45 pm

I think his book on Hell's Angels is one that got him a lot of attention at the time. HST hung out with them for some time and took quite a few pics (good ones). He was later beat up by some of the members, but I can't remember the reason (if they need a reason to do that). I can only imagine with HST's mouth and their tempers.... I also recommend the Proud Highway. Johnny helped HST organize some of this material when he was living with Hunter during his F &L research. Also The Kingdom of Fear, but this can be confusing to read since it is not always in chronological order. HST has a new collection of his sports articles in the book Hey Rube. Again, I haven't read this one since it just came out, but those that have enjoyed it even if they weren't sports nuts.

Good luck. HST is a very interesting writer, and you can see why Johnny feels the way he does about him.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

JDOCD

Unread postby JDOCD » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:51 pm

I just read "Hey Rube". It was a quick read. Only Hunter could combine sports and politics and mingle them so well you almost can't tell them apart! He is hilarious!! He does do a bit of Bush Bashing but he spreads it around to the other side as well. No one is safe from the "Hunter".
Remember...you buy the ticket...you take the ride.
Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks, everyone. The Proud Highway and F&L on the Campaign Trail were two I was considering already. I was also looking at Fear and Loathing in America and The Great Shark Hunt. Any thoughts on those? Hadn't heard about Hey Rube, though. I do love Hunter's writing style. I took FALILV with me on vacation and people were looking at me like I was nuts. It literally made me howl, and this was well after I had seen the movie numerous times.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:30 pm

I will put my vote in for Proud Highway. The letters are written by a much younger Hunter and I found it to very intriguing to learn about him as a much younger man.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:04 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I will put my vote in for Proud Highway. The letters are written by a much younger Hunter and I found it to very intriguing to learn about him as a much younger man.

Great! I ordered Proud Highway and F&L on the Campaign Trail from Amazon today. Got really nice prices on new books by going into their other sellers section, too. Thanks for all the recommendations. I am a HUGE bibliophile, and one path just leads me down another. It is nice to have a clue how to proceed!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:25 pm

one path just leads me down another.

I can certainly relate to that! I have always been a reader but Johnny and ONBC have led me down some paths I would never have found on my own.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:49 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
one path just leads me down another.

I can certainly relate to that! I have always been a reader but Johnny and ONBC have led me down some paths I would never have found on my own.

It's so great to find some kindred spirits!

Return to “Hunter S. Thompson”