Remembering Hunter S. Thompson ~ Let the Howling Commence!

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Perhaps the night gave him someting else to focus on, although I'm sure Hunter was not far from his mind.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:09 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Perhaps the night gave him someting else to focus on, although I'm sure Hunter was not far from his mind.

I'm sure he'd rather focus on anything else, than making a speech! He probably kept himself very busy today.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:10 pm

bluebird wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I was just thinking how surreal this night must have been for him KY. I wonder if his mind was elsewhere?

I was just thinking the same thing, DITHOT and KY. "Surreal" is a good word for this. I hope Johnny had a chance to speak with Anita or Juan today.

bluebird

I'd be willing to bet that he did speak with Anita and Juan. He has such a big heart, he wouldn't let this anniversary pass without sharing his love of Hunter.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:14 pm

I wouldn't think so either, Carrie.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:17 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks for sharing that collage, V!

I just talked to Liz and she wants you all to know that she was sharing a toast with her dh at 8:40 and wishing she was here to howl along with us but she walked outside the restaurant to give it her best.
:sing:

Liz, we miss you! Hope you're having fun where you are. Cheers mate! hoooowwwllll
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:20 pm

I'm off to have one good howl in the backyard and then out for the night. What a night it has been for memories new and old! Thanks to all of you for your posts tonight. It is hard to believe it has been one year since we said good-bye to Hunter. Feel free to keep the thread going! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:26 pm

See next post.
Last edited by Boo-Radley on Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:28 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/Boo-Radley/Hunter%20S%20Thompson%20Memorial/HSTBookTourNYC_21MAY1998--06.jpg

Every time I turn on my TV, and bear witness to another inane reality show, or through other media I am subjected to the narrow-minded and trite opinions of self appointed speakers of the tribe. I find myself grieving for the loss of Hunter, and others of his kind who once spoke the truth and held aloft a torch for the rest of us to follow. Here's to you Hunter, and the Spirit in the sky.

Hoooowwwwwllll...Thanks DITHOTbaba & Lizbaba (hope you're in enjoying your vacation). Good Night All.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:25 am

Well said, Boobaba... :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 am

I missed the howl last year. I'm glad I didn't miss reading Hunter's books though. Or getting a glimpse or two of him on the DVD. I grew to really love his work, and it has carried me through a sticky moment or two; times when I have exclaimed at the insanity of something; times when I have felt like the little boy in the story who points out that the Emperor is in fact stark naked. At such times, I remember Hunter, who had such a gift for observing these things, and who wrote from the heart. And what a big heart. I miss him.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

San

Unread postby San » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:33 pm

The whole memorial last year and the remembering of that this year I have missed. I have other issues to deal with on August 20.
I started reading this thread and starting with watching Theresa's beautiful clip and then read and was impressed by everything that is written and that howling is a great way to remember.

Theresa is there a possibility to download this clip? On the you yube clip I couldn't find a way to download.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:02 pm

San (and anyone else who would like to download the video),

I have the tribute video clip that you can download -- in the folder are two different file sizes, one larger for broadband, and one smaller for dialup. The mp3 recording of Norman Greembaum's Spirit in the Sky is also in the folder.

https://secure.filesanywhere.com/v.asp?v=%8Fmj%8DX%9B%A9%BB%B4f

San

Unread postby San » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:07 pm

Thank you!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks, theresa! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:00 pm

did my lamentations and watched dear Hunter
I'm sure he's up there watching what's going on down here and yelling his head off...HEY RUBES!!!!What the H____!!!!!!!!!
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

Return to “Hunter S. Thompson”