Funny Tidbit

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Funny Tidbit

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Posted by: Veronica - 7/7/2004 (13:14) - 63.172.63.195

Ello ONBC people!!! I have missed you all!

I got the book The Proud Highway by Hunter Thompson yesterday in the mail & Johnny wrote a review in it. He writes:

"Another insightful masterpiece from the finest southern gentleman since Colonial Harland Sanders. Read these letters, but do not, under any circumstances, give this man your number." -Johnny Depp

Also I was watching with my daughter, Sabrina the teenage witch, or something like that. Stupid show, in it Sabrina was trying to decide which college to go to & her aunt said "You should go hiking for awhile. You could be like Jack Kerouac, only sober."

too funny!

Question: Will we loose all our posts here when we move or will the information be switched over?

Posted by: Liz - 7/7/2004 (13:32) - 67.174.198.151

Hi V, missed you too.

Funny JD remark.

Now I bet if you had seen that episode of Sabrina a couple of years ago that line would have gone right over your head. I know it would have for me.

Good question about our posts. I have archived most of them up until the last couple of days here. I plan to put everything sans pics from last Friday up until Thursday night in the ONBC Archive on the New site. There will be 2 boards on the new ONBC page--the Current Book board and the Archive. You will be able to read them on the Archive Board anytime, but not respond to them there.

Posted by: Veronica - 7/7/2004 (13:39) - 63.172.63.195

thanks Liz on the Archive update!

Your right it would have gone right over my head.

Posted by: Liz - 7/7/2004 (13:35) - 67.174.198.151

If you want to save anything special prior to last Friday (July 2), you should copy it onto your Word file for posterity.

Posted by: Tansy - 7/7/2004 (17:22) - 66.167.39.119

Liz,

I'm planning to re-read OTR as soon as I hit the last sentence. I have enjoyed it so much. I probably wouldn't have read it, if it hadn't been for ONBC.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the archiving work too.

Posted by: Naomi - 7/7/2004 (21:27) - 24.60.169.32

Tansy , if you liked OTR and JK's writing that much, I might suggest again ( okay, I'm a broken record about this)
"The Town and the City" , much more traditional prose about a New England family and before, during and after WW2.

"Maggie Cassidy", very lyrical prose, a retelling of his first love in high school, his circle of friends and the most beautiful description of the seasons and New England (or anywhere really).

Posted by: Tansy - 7/8/2004 (9:36) - 68.166.172.40

Naomi, thank you for mentioning those books--because I was thinking about asking the question again this morning.

I remember 20 years ago, after we both read 'On the Road', my roommate went on to devour 'Desolation Angels' and 'Dharma Bums', while I went off to read Ken Kesey (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) who was also later connected to the Beats through Neal Cassady.

Posted by: Liz - 7/7/2004 (23:51) - 67.174.198.151

"the most beautiful description of the seasons and New England (or anywhere really)."

OK, Naomi. You sent me over the edge. I'm going to have to read it now.

I'll find the time.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Hunter S. Thompson”