Remembering Hunter - Question #5 - A Fine American

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Remembering Hunter - Question #5 - A Fine American

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:34 pm

I apologize for posting Question #5 so late in the day, but DITHOT & I have been stowaways on a boat….er ship….. headed for St. Vincent. We just now stepped onto the docks and had to bribe our way into town. And trying to find a Starbucks with internet connections was another story. So finally we’re back on line and ready to ponder the man behind the myth yet again.

From the Rolling Stone Hunter Tribute edition, Jack Nicholson imparts that “Hunter was a Southern gentleman and a fine American.”

In a letter to her late husband Anita Thompson talks of the flag that was given to her, “Last night I ironed and hung the American flag that was given to me for your service to your country. When the chief coroner of Garfield County presented it to me he said, ‘On behalf of the president of the United States, and a grateful nation, it is an honor to present to you this American flag in remembrance of his faithful service to his country.’

And I am so honored to be holding the flag for you, Hunter. I know that you served your country in ways that scholars are only beginning to understand. You were and will continue to be a bright and shining sun—serving as a guide and teacher to so many of us.”

Was HST faithful to his country? How so?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:43 pm

I think Hunter was of great service to our country because he held up a mirror to us. He truly believed in the principles upon which this country was founded and it grieved him that we failed to live up to that promise. He made it his mission to expose that failure, to make us look in that mirror and see what we were allowing to happen. He tried to shake people out of their blindness and apathy so that he could give our nation a better chance to live up to its own dream. He devoted his life to that cause, really. I don't think you can be any more patriotic than that.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

abigail

Unread postby abigail » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:53 pm

Beautifully said, lumineuse! :cool: I couldn't agree more. I have nothing to add, you're spot on!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:18 pm

I agree lumineuse. He performed a great service to his country by looking under the rug, shining a light on what he found there and making us look at it too. The voice of dissent and discussion is important to a democracy, it's why we exist as a nation.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:54 am

Firstly,you lucky devils,fancy stowing away on a boat headed for the Caribbean.[See I believe you,Liz :cool: ].Are you sure you're on a boat headed for St Vincent.? You'd better check with the captain...What was the name of the boat,..the Marie Celeste was it?...OOPS.. :capnjack: .Secondly,not sure I can give a proper perspective on Hunter's patriotism, being an outsider-but to me he was one of the most patriotic Americans I've read about.Because he believed in America and it's values-he loved his country and that's why he wrote the way he did.Loving your country doesn't mean you support eveything that happens,nor do you have to support every government.I always think that the people who protest injustice and iniquities are the real patriots.They care deeply .

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:46 am

I like the way you all have expressed yourselves here. I praise your elequence. Image

Hunter gave a new meaning to patriotism. That is for sure. My first inclination was not to think of him in this fashion. I'm sure that there are many so-called patriots who cringed at the sight of him or his words. I, on the other hand, agree with the rest of you, that he was a true American, bravely exposing the injustices and flaws in law and government, in an effort to improve our nation.

And Gilly, never believe anyone on April Fools Day. :capnjack: Image
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Hunter S. Thompson”