Hunter's Passing

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hunter's Passing

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:56 am

I just want to express my sorrow for the tragedy that ensued tonight. He will sorely be missed by myself and the ONBC. My prayers are with him and his family.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Deppth

Unread postby Deppth » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 am

yes, he will be missed dearly and i can only hope for the best for his friends and family. I'v never been much of a speaker so I don' t how to express how sorry i am for his family. I just hope the Hunter is in a better place at the moment and his friends and family have each other. :bawl: :bawl: :-/
"Don't be afraid to take risks, to be creative and to try things."- J.D.

MoreThanLooks

May God Bless...

Unread postby MoreThanLooks » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:03 am

May God Bless Hunter's soul, where ever he may be. Also I pray for any one who knew him- family, friends, co-workers, admirers, Johnny included...

~~All My Love~~
God Bless Every single one of you!
"He He, You're really wierd!" - Gotta love him!

surfmom

Unread postby surfmom » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:42 am

Very sad.....................what did you all read about him that you think might lead him to take his own life? Heartbreaking......

Author Hunter S. Thompson, who penned "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," commits suicide
Eds: CHANGES dateline from Aspen, Colo; ADDS byline; ADDS additional background.
By CATHERINE TSAI
Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) - Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News. Sheriff's officials did not return calls to The Associated Press late Sunday.

Juan Thompson found his father's body. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's visit to Las Vegas, he also wrote "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72." The central character in those wild, sprawling satires was "Dr. Thompson," a snarling, drug- and alcohol-crazed observer and participant.

Thompson is credited with pioneering New Journalism _ or, as he dubbed it, "gonzo journalism" _ in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story. Much of his earliest work appeared in Rolling Stone magazine.

"Fiction is based on reality unless you're a fairy-tale artist," Thompson told the AP in 2003. "You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it."

An acute observer of the decadence and depravity in American life, Thompson also wrote such collections "Generation of Swine" and "Songs of the Doomed." His first ever novel, "The Rum Diary," written in 1959, was first published in 1998.

Thompson was a counterculture icon at the height of the Watergate era, and Richard Nixon once said he represented "that dark, venal, and incurably violent side of the American character."

Thompson also was the model for Gary Trudeau's balding "Uncle Duke" in the comic strip "Doonesbury" and was portrayed on screen by Johnny Depp in a film adaptation of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

Other books include "The Great Shark Hunt," "Hell's Angels" and "The Proud Highway." His most recent effort was "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness."

His compound in Woody Creek, not far from Aspen, was almost as legendary as Thompson. He prized peacocks and weapons; in 2000, he accidentally shot and slightly wounded his assistant, Deborah Fuller, trying to chase a bear off his property.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:05 am

Yes, it was really sad news to hear. I'm still in shock that he's gone.

Hunter left a great legacy with his writing. I hope everyone gets a chance to read his works. He had such a way with words and telling a story from a certain point of view....HIS! A very unique person and captured perfectly by Johnny's performance in F & L in LV.

For those that haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend watching the documentary Breakfast with Hunter. Not only do you get a real glimpse into Hunter, but some great Johnny footage.

I feel heaven will never be the same!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:25 am

I just woke up to this news this morning here on the Zone. I am so sad. Hunter inspired some great conversations here at ONBC, I felt like he was a part of us here even if he never knew it. I am just stunned. He will be missed.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:28 am

It really is such a shock. I can't help but wonder what drove him to this. I feel so badly for him, and for all of his friends and family. What a tragic loss for them, and for us.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:36 am

I never usually post on the ONBC, but I woke up to see the headline of Hunter's Passing, so I must give my sympathy. I lost my dog recently, so I guess I know how it feels to loose your best friend. Johnny must be heartbroken to know his friend died like this. Hunter's in a better place right now. :angel:
Hannah...

R.I.P Hunter S. Thompson <3
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

Calliope

Unread postby Calliope » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:00 am

My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Thompson. He did and said things his own way--raw and unapologetic. I suspect this was his swansong of having the final word.

With much respect,
Calliope :-|

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:38 am

I am stunned! I can only hope that this was a conscious well-thought out decision on Hunter's part, not an emotional burst of alcohol-induced depression. One would think if he had carefully considered this he would have moved the act out of his home to spare his family. What a horrible, horrible discovery for Juan! Sorry, I can respect suicide, I but cannot respect the decision to inflict the discovery of his body on his child.

After I watched Breakfast With Hunter I felt like much of the drug and alcohol legend of Hunter was his public act. I am sure he drank and used, but I don't think he was exactly the lunatic we were lead to believe he was. And he certainly had enormous talent, as we discovered here at ONBC.

Mostly, I hurt because I know Johnny hurts and this truly seems senseless. As we learn more, perhaps we will be able to find more peace with what happened.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:48 am

What a shock indeed...Its strange because last night I grabbed my F&L dvd to watch but then I decided to wait til tonight because it was getting late & figured I would fall asleep. Last week I recieved my copy of Where the Buffalos Roam. I wanted to see how Bill Murray portrayed Hunter. Then to find out his last article he wrote on ESPN page2 was about Bill Murray gave me chills. I feel for everyone that loved him myself included. Its a terrible shame. :tear:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

hisneverland

Unread postby hisneverland » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:21 pm

I am very saddened by this, too. Even though I didn't know who Hunter S. Thompson was until quite recently, I am still very sorry. Just last night I was watching Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, and then I woke up this morning to hear this sad news. My deepest sympathies go to everyone who cared about Hunter, Johnny included. :tear:
Didn't I tell you, if you're gonna cheat on me, you don't cheat on my bowling night? Didn't I say that?

carly rainey

Unread postby carly rainey » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:27 pm

Oh my God, that is incredibly sad. Poor Johnny. I have read and enjoyed Fear and Loathing and was just thinking I should buy the Rum Diary before I saw this. I hope they still go ahead with the movie, I'm sure they will, to honour him. My thoughts go out to his family and friends, as well as Johnny. :-/
"Welcome to the Caribbean, love!" :capnjack:

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:43 pm

I just read it here as I checked in with the ONBC before the news. What a terrible shock. Am stunned and upset. Can't imagine how his loved ones must be feeling. To go in such a way. That poor man. This is dreadful news.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

FANtasticJD

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:44 pm

surfmom wrote:Very sad.....................what did you all read about him that you think might lead him to take his own life? Heartbreaking......

I found this in the LA Times article:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... nkillsself
Hooper said Thompson had been in pain from back surgery and an artificial hip. And he had broken his leg on a recent trip to Hawaii.

It sounds like he was in chronic pain which is horribly depressing. I don't think Hunter would have dealt well with a disabling condition and he would have chosen a quick way out. Whatever the reason, I pray he has found his peace.
“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

Return to “Hunter S. Thompson”