From the Daily Om - Reading for Pleasure

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

From the Daily Om - Reading for Pleasure

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 04, 2007 3:13 pm

I asked DITHOT if I might share this email with you all.....It spoke to my heart about the value of reading and why I love it here at ONBC. I don't think I am breaking copyright laws since we are always invited to forward these emails from the Daily Om to our friends. I get their emails several times a week and many times they speak right to my heart, just like this one did. I hope you enjoy it. If you like this piece, you might want to check out the website. http://www.dailyom.com/

May 3, 2007
A Whole New World
Reading For Pleasure
Every book has the potential to touch the human soul deeply, arousing patterns of thought that might otherwise have lain dormant. The pleasure we derive from the written word is unique in that we must labor for it. Other forms of art provide us with stimulus and ask nothing more than our emotional response. Reading is an active pastime that requires an investment of emotion as well as our concentration and imagination. The words we read are merely a starting point for a process that takes place largely within our minds and hearts.

There are few activities as comforting, relaxing, and healthy as perusing the pages of a good piece of fiction or nonfiction. Curling up with a book and a cup of tea is one of the simplest ways we can remove ourselves from the confines of reality in order to immerse ourselves in the drama and intrigue of the unfamiliar. The pleasure of transcending reality is only one aspect of the reading experience, however. Each time we read for enjoyment, whether we prefer the fantastic nature of fiction, the empathy awakened within us by memoir, or the instructive passion of nonfiction, we create entire landscapes in our mind's eye. The books we choose provide us with the inspiration we need to accomplish such a feat, but it is our own creative reserves that empower us to use our imaginations for this unique and beautiful purpose.

The tales you lose yourself in can lead you on paths of discovery that take you out of your own life and help you see that existence can unfold in an infinite number of ways. You can learn so much from the characters and mentors who guide you from page to page. Your emotions are awakened each time you read, allowing you to become vessels of the passion that pours forth from line after line of print. Ultimately, the books you absorb-those that touch you deeply-will become a part of who you are, providing you with a rich and thrilling world within that you can revisit anytime you wish by simply closing your eyes. If you haven't read a book for pleasure lately, try and allow yourself the time-you deserve it.

For more information visit dailyom.com

This article is printed from DailyOM - Inspirational thoughts for a happy, healthy and fulfilling day.
Register for free at www.dailyom.com

© 2004-07 DailyOM - All Rights Reserved
No portion of this site can be reprinted without express permission

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Fri May 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for posting this, nebraska. It does hit home, there aren't many things in life better than settling in with a good book! :chill:
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Fri May 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Very well put.

I enjoy my reads.

I just wish I could have more time to do so.
I need an extra 24 hours in my day I tell ya!

I am reading Shantaram right now. As I am reading I am totally picturing Johnny playing Lin. :cloud9:
Loving it! :disco:
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks for posting that, nebraska! :cool: That is a great way to explain the joy of reading and so true for us here at ONBC!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri May 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that, nebraska. That really does say it all for so many of us. I have had the good fortune of being able to show the whole new world of reading for pleasure to several coworkers over the past decade and those are some of the proudest moments of my life. One of the young women had her portrait done for me with her son on her first Mother's Day - Sandy holding Carson holding his book! And as you have all said, everyone at ONBC understands about reading and that makes it such a special place.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Fri May 04, 2007 8:23 pm

Heartwarming, Bix :cloud9:
Too True, Baxendale Guitar! :cool:
Yep! Linda Lee! :chill:
Yep again, DITHOT! :disco:
Thank you for the lovely post, Nebraska! :angel:
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri May 04, 2007 8:31 pm

"Ultimately, the books you absorb-those that touch you deeply-will become a part of who you are, providing you with a rich and thrilling world within that you can revisit anytime you wish by simply closing your eyes."
So true! Thanks, nebraska, for reminding us of how lucky we are to have found the joy of reading (and ONBC!)! :cloud9:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Betty Sue wrote:"Ultimately, the books you absorb-those that touch you deeply-will become a part of who you are, providing you with a rich and thrilling world within that you can revisit anytime you wish by simply closing your eyes."
So true! Thanks, nebraska, for reminding us of how lucky we are to have found the joy of reading (and ONBC!)! :cloud9:

Too true, Betty Sue (ooooh that rhymes :-O ). And we are lucky to have the freedom to read whatever we want. :cool: Thank you, Nebraska, for posting that. :thumbsup:

I just want to add that whatever book I'm reading at the time seems to affect my entire life because I have become so absorbed in it. I seem to live it or it ends up being my theme for the month. I know that is rather weird. Has anyone else experienced that?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Book News”