Peter Pan Sequel Rights Sold

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:25 am

Source: Variety December 18, 2006

Film rights to Peter Pan in Scarlet, the official sequel to J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, have been sold to Headline Pictures, BBC Films and the U.K. Film Council, says Variety.

The novel, written by Geraldine McCaughrean, was published this October. It was commissioned by the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, which owns the copyright to Peter Pan.

In Peter Pan in Scarlet, Wendy, her brothers and the Lost Boys have all grown up to become respectable adults. But when Wendy dreams that Neverland is in trouble, they must all find a way back to save the day.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:25 am

Not surprising it will be a film and also good for the hospital and their funding I'm sure. Has anyone read the sequel? Thanks for posting, GG. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:54 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Not surprising it will be a film and also good for the hospital and their funding I'm sure. Has anyone read the sequel? Thanks for posting, GG. :cool:

Shamefully, I didn't know there was one, but I would like to read it, it sounds interesting.
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:11 am

johnnybloom, there was a sequel contest sponsored by The Great Ormond Street Hospital. J.M. Barrie bequeathed the Peter Pan royalties to the hospital on his death. That copyright stands to expire in 2007. The hospital formed a committee and then called for authors to apply to write a sequel and the hospital will retain the royalties of that new work. I believe it was to be published in October of this year.

Here is a link announcing the winning author,Geraldine McCaughrean, and a bit about the contest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4345141.stm

Here is a link to the official website concerning the book:

http://www.peterpaninscarlet.com/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks for the info, DiTHot...I'll click on those links now....
~3~

"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.

Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."

~~ Johnny Depp~~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:24 pm

You're welcome, jb!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Book News”