In the Hand of Dante - a Noodlemantra's review

Moderator: Liz

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:26 am

I read Dante a couple years back... I thought it had some thrilling moments with breathtaking prose...

I liked the parallel narratives about what is dangerous in life. Dante lived in a time when words were dangerous, but it still comes down to politics, blood and money.

I also liked how Touches inserted himself into this fictional narrative. BUT there were also times when I wanted to throw the book against the wall.

A challenge... but a worthwhile one.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:18 am

How bad is this...I read it twice!!! I tried, I really tried, but it was a slog, as you say...I can't remember any particular insightful passages, but I will admit there were a few things that jogged my brain...and the storyline was confusing...but very descriptive in setting a scene.

A can't recall the 3 passage...but I did get this quote from the Bible in a wedding favor recently...

"ECCL 4:12 A cord of 3 strands is not quickly broken"

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Re: In the Hand of Dante

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:48 am

nebraska wrote:
RuaGirl wrote:[

Tosches is definitely a "man's" writer.

ITHOD is my favorite book, ever, and it has the greatest opening line of a book, ever.

If you don't have much of a background in Latin and Dante, it will be a long, slow slog, but even a passing acquaintance will help.

Tosches write for Vanity Fair, and wrote an absolutely fascination book called "The Last Opium Den". He also wrote a terrific bio of Sonny Liston and another good one on Dean Martin.

I highly recommend it, but if you're used to more "girly" stuff, you'll hate this. It's also very violent.

Regards,

Rua

Thanks for your input!!!! I am glad to hear from someone else who enjoyed the book.

I hadn't really thought of it as a "man's book", but the story line is a guy's fantasy, I agree - lots of sex, money, and power. A lot of it seemed really cerebral for a man..thinking a little deeper than the men I am used to being around...but maybe that was the point. More mental gymnastics than emotion. Although he seemed to be able to portray deep emotion very well.

Didn't "the Last Opium Den" enter the discussion in some other thread? I can't remember now, but it seems we have touched on it before. Amazing how these things keep tying together.

Thanks for the write up. I tried this book, but put it down in favor of something else. Too many books, too little time. Now, I may have to try it again.

I read The Last Opium Den. I believe it was a story NT wrote originally for Vanity Fair mag, and it was also published as a small book. It's a non-fiction account of his travels in Asia looking for a genuine Opium Den. Occasionally he shows up in VF mag and was in a few months ago, but I can't remember what his article was about. :-/

Nick is also, I believe, Godfather to Johnny's son, Jack.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 am

Here is a link to the original Vanity Fair article. Language warning!
The original article was expanded an became a short book.

http://www.vanityfair.com/commentary/content/articles/050530roco01b
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:27 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Here is a link to the original Vanity Fair article. Language warning!

Thanks, DITHOT! I have printed this out for lunch break reading this week.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks nebraska for your report. I began reading The Hand of Dante early this summer and had gotten about half way through before my sister and her brood arrived. It definitely is a book that requires you to dig deep within yourself for understanding, it's a workout. I feel the same as you about the book, Tosches is definitely making a point about life, love, narcissism, etc. I'm thinking when I pick the book up again, I'll start at the beginning and claw my way through it. Thanks again.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:51 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Here is a link to the original Vanity Fair article. Language warning!

Thanks DITHOTbaba, I'm printing it out now. :cool:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Return to “Book News”