Page 1 of 2

Black Dahlia -- The Movie?

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 pm
by Veronica
Black Dahlia being made into a movie?



Havent read this yet but have it. Any comments on this book?

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=12258

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:29 am
by luvdepp
I read the book by James Ellroy a few months ago V. It was an interesting ficitional account of true events. Lots of old Hollywood in it. I can see why Johnny would have liked it. Hope they do a good job with the movie.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:21 pm
by Veronica
luvdepp wrote:I read the book by James Ellroy a few months ago V. It was an interesting ficitional account of true events. Lots of old Hollywood in it. I can see why Johnny would have liked it. Hope they do a good job with the movie.


The trailer looked good & they have some good actors in it.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:32 pm
by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
V, who are the actors and where did you see the trailer? I seem to remember hearing about this but can't remember no what I read. :perplexed:

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm
by Veronica
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:V, who are the actors and where did you see the trailer? I seem to remember hearing about this but can't remember no what I read. :perplexed:


Josh Arnet, Hillary Swank & Scarlett Johanson. If you click on her pic on the link above you can view the trailer.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:55 pm
by lizbet
Looks like a good movie - the same writer as LA Confidential and I really liked it - a good adult who done it! Help me out though - what's the Depp connection? Was Johnny hoping to have some part in it? I can't seem to remember. :-?

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:00 pm
by Veronica
lizbet wrote:Looks like a good movie - the same writer as LA Confidential and I really liked it - a good adult who done it! Help me out though - what's the Depp connection? Was Johnny hoping to have some part in it? I can't seem to remember. :-?



Mmmm not sure I remember other than he said he read it before. I started the book tonight. I like it alot so far.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:03 pm
by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
If memory serves, it was mentioned in a USA Today interview back in 2003 as one of his favorite books. I have it in my teetering stack o' books to be read...

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 pm
by Veronica
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:If memory serves, it was mentioned in a USA Today interview back in 2003 as one of his favorite books. I have it in my teetering stack o' books to be read...


that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:32 pm
by lizbet
Veronica and DITHOT - thanks :cool: I thought that was the case but my memory isn't what it used to be and it wasn't that good to begin with!!! Looks like a trip to the library - I've been in need of 'a good read' this summer. :eyebrow:

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:29 am
by dharma_bum
lizbet wrote:Veronica and DITHOT - thanks :cool: I thought that was the case but my memory isn't what it used to be and it wasn't that good to begin with!!! Looks like a trip to the library - I've been in need of 'a good read' this summer. :eyebrow:

The book mentioned in the USA article was actully the Black Dahlia Avenger: A Genius for Murder by Steve Hodel. Hodel is a retired LAPD detective who claims he has solved the case... it is non-ficton.

James Ellroy wrote a fictionalized re-telling of the actual Black Dahlia murder case. You can't put down the Ellroy book... it's just not the one mentioned in the article.

FYI. There have been two movies about the Black Dahlia already: a TV movie by the same name and True Confessions. TC is another fictionalized re-telling based on a novel by John Gregory Dunne.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 am
by Joni
Veronica wrote:that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.


Nick Tosches book is In The Hand Of Dante, and the other book Johnny mentioned was Perfume ~ The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind.

The Black Dahlia book I have is called Black Dahlia Avenger ~ The True Story by Steve Hodel. dharma_bum, I bet it's the same book you have.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 am
by luvdepp
Joni wrote:
Veronica wrote:that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.


Nick Tosches book is In The Hand Of Dante, and the other book Johnny mentioned was Perfume ~ The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind.

The Black Dahlia book I have is called Black Dahlia Avenger ~ The True Story by Steve Hodel. dharma_bum, I bet it's the same book you have.

The book I referred to earlier is the fictional one by James Ellroy. I read that one first and then the Black Dahlia Avenger. They were both fascinating. I'm not sure if Hodel's book is actually the true story, although in his mind, he's pretty convinced that it is.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:41 am
by Veronica
Joni wrote:
Veronica wrote:that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.


Nick Tosches book is In The Hand Of Dante, and the other book Johnny mentioned was Perfume ~ The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind.

The Black Dahlia book I have is called Black Dahlia Avenger ~ The True Story by Steve Hodel. dharma_bum, I bet it's the same book you have.


thank you Joni I knew you would know this one!!! hehehehe

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:27 pm
by Veronica
dharma_bum wrote:
lizbet wrote:
James Ellroy wrote a fictionalized re-telling of the actual Black Dahlia murder case. You can't put down the Ellroy book... it's just not the one mentioned in the article.


They based the upcoming movie on the Ellroy book. I decided to buy it as well. :cool: