Black Dahlia -- The Movie?

Moderator: Liz

Veronica

Black Dahlia -- The Movie?

Unread postby Veronica » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 pm

Black Dahlia being made into a movie?

Havent read this yet but have it. Any comments on this book?

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=12258
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:29 am

I read the book by James Ellroy a few months ago V. It was an interesting ficitional account of true events. Lots of old Hollywood in it. I can see why Johnny would have liked it. Hope they do a good job with the movie.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:21 pm

luvdepp wrote:I read the book by James Ellroy a few months ago V. It was an interesting ficitional account of true events. Lots of old Hollywood in it. I can see why Johnny would have liked it. Hope they do a good job with the movie.

The trailer looked good & they have some good actors in it.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:32 pm

V, who are the actors and where did you see the trailer? I seem to remember hearing about this but can't remember no what I read. :perplexed:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:V, who are the actors and where did you see the trailer? I seem to remember hearing about this but can't remember no what I read. :perplexed:

Josh Arnet, Hillary Swank & Scarlett Johanson. If you click on her pic on the link above you can view the trailer.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:55 pm

Looks like a good movie - the same writer as LA Confidential and I really liked it - a good adult who done it! Help me out though - what's the Depp connection? Was Johnny hoping to have some part in it? I can't seem to remember. :-?
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:00 pm

lizbet wrote:Looks like a good movie - the same writer as LA Confidential and I really liked it - a good adult who done it! Help me out though - what's the Depp connection? Was Johnny hoping to have some part in it? I can't seem to remember. :-?

Mmmm not sure I remember other than he said he read it before. I started the book tonight. I like it alot so far.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:03 pm

If memory serves, it was mentioned in a USA Today interview back in 2003 as one of his favorite books. I have it in my teetering stack o' books to be read...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:If memory serves, it was mentioned in a USA Today interview back in 2003 as one of his favorite books. I have it in my teetering stack o' books to be read...

that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:32 pm

Veronica and DITHOT - thanks :cool: I thought that was the case but my memory isn't what it used to be and it wasn't that good to begin with!!! Looks like a trip to the library - I've been in need of 'a good read' this summer. :eyebrow:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:29 am

lizbet wrote:Veronica and DITHOT - thanks :cool: I thought that was the case but my memory isn't what it used to be and it wasn't that good to begin with!!! Looks like a trip to the library - I've been in need of 'a good read' this summer. :eyebrow:

The book mentioned in the USA article was actully the Black Dahlia Avenger: A Genius for Murder by Steve Hodel. Hodel is a retired LAPD detective who claims he has solved the case... it is non-ficton.

James Ellroy wrote a fictionalized re-telling of the actual Black Dahlia murder case. You can't put down the Ellroy book... it's just not the one mentioned in the article.

FYI. There have been two movies about the Black Dahlia already: a TV movie by the same name and True Confessions. TC is another fictionalized re-telling based on a novel by John Gregory Dunne.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 am

Veronica wrote:that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.

Nick Tosches book is In The Hand Of Dante, and the other book Johnny mentioned was Perfume ~ The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind.

The Black Dahlia book I have is called Black Dahlia Avenger ~ The True Story by Steve Hodel. dharma_bum, I bet it's the same book you have.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 am

Joni wrote:
Veronica wrote:that is the first article I read about Johnny that he mentioned books he read. It is before I came across the zone. I found it on Johnny Depp Fan site & I Imediatley bought all 4 books that were mentioned in that article. If memory serves me it was the Black Delhia, Nick Touches book, (I forget the name now), Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates and..... :censored: I forget the 4th one but I will remember.

Nick Tosches book is In The Hand Of Dante, and the other book Johnny mentioned was Perfume ~ The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind.

The Black Dahlia book I have is called Black Dahlia Avenger ~ The True Story by Steve Hodel. dharma_bum, I bet it's the same book you have.

The book I referred to earlier is the fictional one by James Ellroy. I read that one first and then the Black Dahlia Avenger. They were both fascinating. I'm not sure if Hodel's book is actually the true story, although in his mind, he's pretty convinced that it is.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:41 am

Joni wrote:

thank you Joni I knew you would know this one!!! hehehehe

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:27 pm

dharma_bum wrote:
lizbet wrote:
James Ellroy wrote a fictionalized re-telling of the actual Black Dahlia murder case. You can't put down the Ellroy book... it's just not the one mentioned in the article.

They based the upcoming movie on the Ellroy book. I decided to buy it as well. :cool:

Return to “Book News”