Vanity Fair magazine: Tosches and Brinkley articles

Moderator: Liz

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Vanity Fair magazine: Tosches and Brinkley articles

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu May 04, 2006 7:45 pm

In the June 2006 issue of VF there are articles in it from Nick Tosches and Douglas Brinkley. NT is, of course, a friend and favorite author of Johnny's and DB is closely associated with Hunter Thompson.

DB's article is really an excerpt from his book that is due out this month about the damage from Hurricane Katrina (DB is based in New Orleans)- The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

NT's article is about Dubai, a very wealthy capitalistic Arab country (which was described as "a Las Vegas on steriods"). I had read a small book by NT about opium dens in Asia and didn't realize until now that it was done (probably orginally as an article) for VF. I haven't been able to read much of NT's work, but I found the story on the opium dens interesting. I haven't started this article, but it looks like it might be a good one.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 04, 2006 8:06 pm

:thanks!: Thanks for the heads up, KY. Looks like a must read.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat May 06, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks KYwoman :disco: The Dubai article sounds good..I'll look out for it over here.. :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Book News”