King of the Jews...Nick Tosches

Moderator: Liz

gilly

King of the Jews...Nick Tosches

Unread postby gilly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm not sure if Johnny has actually read this,but there is an endorsement by Johnny on the back cover..http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0066211182/ref=sib_dp_top_bc/102-9737097-0168112?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S09O#reader-link
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 pm

I know Johnny has is big Nick Toches fan! At one time it was reported that he would be doing an audio tape of In the Hand of Dante but it never got off the ground for some reason.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

DisIllusionAngel

Unread postby DisIllusionAngel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:19 am

The Last Opium Den looks really interesting too. I wonder if Johnny any of it, especially during filming of From Hell? This is complete conjecture. Another interesting two or three books to add to my list. ;-)

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:48 am

I was wondering about In the Hand of Dante,DITHOT : :disco: ..Apparently Johnny recorded half of the book, but didn't get to finish it because of commitments with FN... :cool: He is so busy these days..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:23 am

IMHO the way he's worded that, it appears he's read it. Thanks for finding this, Gilly. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:59 am

DisIllusionAngel wrote:The Last Opium Den looks really interesting too. I wonder if Johnny any of it, especially during filming of From Hell? This is complete conjecture. Another interesting two or three books to add to my list. ;-)

I've actually read The Last Opium Den. It's a very small book, but I liked it. I tried in The Hand of Dante and just couldn't get through it. Once again, Johnny finds a writer that create books that are a difficult read for many. The reviews listed on Amazon of this book don't look very favorable. Not sure I'll be trying this one.

Thanks gilly for once again finding us some great tidbits. I hadn't heard that NT had published anything recently.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am

KYwoman wrote:I tried in The Hand of Dante and just couldn't get through it.

I read In the Hand of Dante and agree with KYWoman that this is a tough book with several parallel storylines—the contemporary one includes the author as a fictionalized character in a sort of Godfather meets the DaVinci Code plot. There are some infuriating stretches and some really beautiful passages. It did make me want to tackle the Inferno.... someday.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Return to “Book News”