It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Caribbean by James A Michener
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:43 pm 

Remember this book that one of Johnny's security guys was holding?I managed to get it from the library..all 672 pages of it. :-O ..It is divided into chapters highlighting a different part of the Caribbean throught the ages..I'm up to the chapter on Nelson and his life in the Caribbean...The book really makes me want to go for a visit..The whole thing is a bit romanticised and simplistic...but the chapters on the pirates and buccaneers are well worth a read.....

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:08 pm 

Michener has written a lot of historical fiction that takes a certain part of the world and begins with it's origins and takes the reader through the history of the place through characters. Like you said, gilly, it can be simplistic and a bit rose colored at times but I've always enjoyed his books!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:26 pm 

Gosh, I remember when Michener's books were very popular, wasn't there one called something like "Typee"?? I'll have to check out the library after Christmas and see if I can find any of them, wouldn't mind starting to do some pirate-related reading with POTC2 coming out next year.

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:24 pm 

I went to the library today, rented it and started reading. I like it. Thanks for the tip Gilly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm 

I just picked it up at the bookstore today. I have always enjoyed Michener, and I will read this one with extra relish! :capnjack:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm 

It is a must read! I'm halfway through and enjoying it. I've been to quite a few places the book touches on, so that has made it all the more interesting. Everytime I read "Tortuga" (and it is mentioned quite a few times) I instantly think "Captain Jack." Plus, it's nice to pause and think, our dear Johnny has read these same pages.

Also, I am getting quite the history lesson here. Never knew Christopher Columbus and Frances Drake had other sides to their character other than heros. Also interesting how the French dragged the guillotine out to the islands and reduced the upper class down to zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm 

Mitchner's books are great. I loved Hawaii, Alaska and The Source. They're a bit slow to start off but once into the books you can't put them down. I think I have Caribbean around the house someplace so now I'll have to read that one! :capnjack:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]