Johnny has read Pepys's Diaries - online link

Moderator: Liz

gilly

Johnny has read Pepys's Diaries - online link

Unread postby gilly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:02 pm

This is a bit from mymovies.net Johnny ''Oh man,you go back and you read Pepys's Diaries and things like that,and it's unbelievable how people lived.No one drank water,you couldn't drink water,because it was contaminated,so you drank beer for breakfast''...Love to know what else Johnny read for research...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:46 am

It's not the first time I've heard that. What did kids do?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:02 am

Liz wrote:It's not the first time I've heard that. What did kids do?

they drank beer too, but it wasn't like beer you'd get today. I think it was called small beer :-? also you could drink the water boiled .
Yes, here you go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info, GG! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

dramaced

Unread postby dramaced » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:30 pm

A fun way to get a taste of Pepys' diaries is to listen to them on tape. I have a collection of tapes, read by Brit actor
Kenneth Branagh who was once tapped to play Pepys. He does a great job; Pepys was quite a character though a bit of a judgmental stick...
Live as if each breath may be your last...because you never know, it could be!

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:39 pm

Well, anyone slightly interested in Charles II's reign should read Samuel Pepys' diaries. They're a good read anyway as he wrote about his domestic life as well. Very likable man.
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:45 pm

Anna wrote:Well, anyone slightly interested in Charles II's reign should read Samuel Pepys' diaries. They're a good read anyway as he wrote about his domestic life as well. Very likable man.

I have too, tha complete diaries. I used to borrow them from the library ,and you had to have a glossary book to hand to which you had to refer, which was in a seperate volume. Wonderfully engrossing stuff.
His wife Elizabeth Pepys also wrote her own small diary which I have a copy of, that is interesting to read too.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:48 pm

dramaced wrote:A fun way to get a taste of Pepys' diaries is to listen to them on tape. I have a collection of tapes, read by Brit actor
Kenneth Branagh who was once tapped to play Pepys. He does a great job; Pepys was quite a character though a bit of a judgmental stick...

Kenneth Branagh... :sigh:
Branagh reading Shakespeare is, to me, one of the most sexy things to listen to. (yeah, I know I'm weird). Never heard of him reading Pepys' diaries but definitely something to look out for. Thanks for the tip, dramaced!
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Pepys Diaries are great, aren't they? I couldn't find this posted anywhere here, hopefully I'm not being redundant. You can read his diaries online in various places. Gutenberg isn't searchable, but the other two listed are.

Pepys - Project Gutenberg
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=4200

Pepys.info
http://www.pepys.info/

Pepys - Bibliomania
http://www.bibliomania.com/2/1/59/106/frameset.html

There's also an annotated blog edition www.pepysdiary.com. The fellow is posting on entry a day, just like a blog; little did you know today is really Nov 20, 1662.

Pretty cool.
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:50 pm

Oops...duplicate post, so I just deleted it.

Here - a funny Diary entryexcerpt instead

2 Dec 1668:

2nd. ... The play done, we to White Hall; where my wife staid while I up to the Duchesse's and Queen's side, to speak with the Duke of York: and here saw all the ladies, and heard the silly discourse of the King, with his people about him, telling a story of my Lord Rochester's having of his clothes stole, while he was with a wench; and his gold all gone, but his clothes found afterwards stuffed into a feather bed by the wench that stole them...
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."

---Thomas Jefferson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:10 pm

neophyte wrote:Pepys Diaries are great, aren't they? I couldn't find this posted anywhere here, hopefully I'm not being redundant. You can read his diaries online in various places. Gutenberg isn't searchable, but the other two listed are.

Pepys - Project Gutenberg
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=4200

Pepys.info
http://www.pepys.info/

Pepys - Bibliomania
http://www.bibliomania.com/2/1/59/106/frameset.html

There's also an annotated blog edition www.pepysdiary.com. The fellow is posting on entry a day, just like a blog; little did you know today is really Nov 20, 1662.

Pretty cool.

Thanks, neophyte! :cool: I had been looking for my links. I had two of them but not the daily blog. Very cool way to do it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:20 am

I guess I am cheating a bit..but I have just read ''A Pepys Anthology'' [Passages fom the Diary of SP] edited by R and L Latham...Do you think it's worth reading the whole work?
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:06 am

gilly wrote:I guess I am cheating a bit..but I have just read ''A Pepys Anthology'' [Passages fom the Diary of SP] edited by R and L Latham...Do you think it's worth reading the whole work?

Only if you have alot of time to spare, if I remember I did it when my eldest was a baby.
I have been reading one of Pepys' biographies on and off for ages, can't get into it not because he isn't interesting, I just can't get into the mood.

Return to “Book News”