A book about Marlowe..Johnny was the writer's inspiration

Moderator: Liz

gilly

A book about Marlowe..Johnny was the writer's inspiration

Unread postby gilly » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:56 pm

Maybe not quite inspiration,but she was definitely thinking of him. :grin: ..The book is 'Tamburlaine Must Die'' by Louise Welsh...''Marlowe is a mysterious figure suspended between Heaven and Hell,between salvation and damnation.I thought alot about him physically...When you're writing about a character you always imagine him in your head and the image I had in my mind of Marlowe wasn't the image of his portraits..I imagine my Marlowe looking like Johnny Depp because I think he is very sexy and physically attractive actor and having to write something about the 16th century,I also wanted someone who had a good face and had good legs, because having good legs was really important in those days'' :flirt: :grin: ..If you want to read the whole thing it's from erasingclouds.com/0907welsh.html
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:57 am

Thanks, gilly...the author is obviously a fan! "having good legs was important then"??? :eyebrow:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:18 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks, gilly...the author is obviously a fan! "having good legs was important then"??? :eyebrow:
Evidently!! Quite a few years back, I took the Colonial Williamsburg tour and one of the things that stuck with me all these years during the discussion of their clothing/wigs, etc., was the fact that men wore "fake calves". For the men who were not muscular, and didn't cut a dashing figure in their stockings (since the lower leg was on display for all to see), there was a fake calf muscle they could strap on before putting on their stockings.

Hmmmmm, who would have been the most shocked back then...the guy who finally gets his new wife to bed and she takes off all those stays that made her look like she had a waist and boobs, and he actually gets to see that she has legs (or, perhaps there were couples that went through their whole lives in the "dark" of room/covers/bed curtains...whatever, I digress), or the wife who suddenly discovers her husband has sickly little sticks for legs! LOL

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:22 am

Thanks, Charlene! Fake calves, huh? People haven't changed all that much have they? That reminds of the line from a song from a while back..."who'll take that man with the skinny legs? " :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:43 am

... didn't Johnny mention Marlowe recently? Was it in that little interview done on the Libertine set - where he compared Wilmot to Marlowe? ... :eyebrow:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 pm

kristen, I don't remember... :banghead: I'm willing to bet someone out there will be able to enlighten us! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

kristen

Unread postby kristen » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:41 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:kristen, I don't remember... :banghead: I'm willing to bet someone out there will be able to enlighten us! :cool:

;-)

Total Film magazine - Dec. 2005 - thanks, GG :cool:

We’re in Depp’s trailer on the Isle of Man. It’s cold outside. He’s wearing cuffs frilly enough to shame a poodle and passionatley telling us about John Wilmot, seconf Earl of Rochester. “ He’s an incredible character. I’m amazed that , like, Marquis de Sade has got more action, you know? But then I’m also amazed Marlowe hasn’t got as much action as Shakespeare…”

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:35 pm

Good memory! Thanks! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:56 am

Johnny Depp has good legs? :lol:

Thanks, Gilly and Kristen.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Several years ago there were even rumours of a film project in which Johnny would play Marlowe. Does anyone remember this?

Here's a link to the story--from 2005:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1011811.stm

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:42 pm

I remember that SRT. :disco: .It seemed to be a done thing..I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny hadn't already done a fair bit of research on the character,hence that comment ,[thank kristen ]in the recent article....But it was another film that fell in a heap...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:50 pm

Just to let you know,I've just read this book and I can see no comparison to Johnny at all or his legs :-O :grin: ..It's a very slim book,more like a novella and although it's quite evocative of the period it is also quite nasty...If the writer had Johnny in mind when she wrote this book,I couldn't see it..I didn't think of Johnny once....[Well maybe once, because he's always in my head ,no matter what I'm doing :flirt: ]
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

TinK369

Unread postby TinK369 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:54 pm

:lol: Johnny has good everything! :blush:
---He didn't resist temptation. He pursued it---

CJS'sWench

Unread postby CJS'sWench » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:08 am

Thanks for the info. It is all interesting. I didn't know legs used to be so important. :-O
But why is the RUM gone?! -CJS
"Not all those who wonder are lost"-Tolkien
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!
www.goodmews.org

stricken

Good evening

Unread postby stricken » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:53 pm

Don't forget what is on the end of those legs -- feet & TOES!!!

Hope everyone is having a great evening. I haven't been around in awhile but I'm back :-)

Just about to finish reading Shantaram (sp?) and looking to see what you'll are diving into!

I will try to catch up soon.

Lemae
XO

Did someone say toes?

Return to “Book News”