AMF Question #22 ~ Multiple Personalities

by Ernest Hemingway

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

AMF Question #22 ~ Multiple Personalities

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Comment on how Hem could be gruff with some (Ezra and Hal), sweet with Hadley, intimidated by Gertie and tentative with Scott.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Charlene

Re: AMF Question #22 ~ Multiple Personalities

Unread postby Charlene » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Perhaps he was a poser....a chameleon...he compartmentalized his life and became a character in his own story so he acted the way a character would act depending on his mood or situation...he didn't put any reins on the character/himself...(didn't change the tone or ending to suit the publisher)...frankly, reading your question, well he could be just about any politician and lobbyist on Capitol Hill....or even the guy down the street...or a Mom on the PTA Board.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I suspect he was sweet to Hadley because he recognized that she truly loved him. Gruffness often covers up something - perhaps a sense of inferiority here? Surely one of Stein's pleasures was intimidating others, small wonder that it worked on Hemingway, who was still trying to feel his way when he met her. With Scott, I wonder how much of that "tentativeness" came from Hemingway either not really recognizing, or being unwilling to admit to, the nature of his feelings for Fitzgerald.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 pm

Charlene, I've known and or worked with a few like that. I was thinking that he was much younger then and in an unfamiliar environment, a young writer unsure of himself but wanting to succeed, surrounded by intelligent people who were pursuing similar goals. Maybe he reacted to people based on how he perceived they expected or wanted him to act. Buster, I wondered too about his sense of inferiority in that environment and possible overcompensation.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Sometimes I feel I might be a bit rough on Hemingway since I look at his life as a whole even when I read of his younger days. I think he probably did fall in love with Hadley and they had the romance of newly weds but somehow I get the feeling that he wasn't always that sweet with her. He may have felt a bit guilty years later when he wrote AMF and felt he owed her enough to portray her as they were when they were first married. He does add that he had an afffair and left her but offers no explanation. . I think Hadley was a very forgiving wife if she set around hungry with a new baby and didn't say anything negative about their life while he spent his time at the race track.

With his friends he was friendly when he was starting out and they could help each other but past that he became too competitive and thought himself superior to his friends. I think this may have added to his gruff attitude and with Gertie he really was just using her to get into the writers group to further his career. With Fitizgerald he does seem to feel himself a stronger person. I think he thought Fitzgerald let Zelda interfere too much in his writing and he thought he should put her in her place like he did Handley. It is strange how he thought Fitizgerald was too pretty so maybe Buster has a point and he treated Fitzgerald the way he did women. Hemingway, if nothing else, throughout his life was macho and he did have some issues and they showed in the way he spoke to others..
Last edited by gemini on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:02 pm

I think we all role play a bit to get by in life, don't we? We treat friends/husbands/bosses/strangers all a little different......If the question is implying that Hemingway was being dishonest somehow in the way he treated people, then I think it has to do with him using people to further his own interest, like inserting whatever coin was required to get the desired result. Since this was his own narrative, written some time after the fact, his memory of how he treated different people is probably tinged with more emotion than fact.

I have not read any of his other books, so my answers can't take into account any more than what I read in AMF and the tidbits.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:31 pm

nebraska wrote:I think we all role play a bit to get by in life, don't we? We treat friends/husbands/bosses/strangers all a little different.
I pondered this question a bit while raking leaves, and thought the same thing, Nebraska. Wouldn't it have been inappropriate for him to have treated Gertie or Fitz as he treated his wife? It's not necessarily that the role playing is false; we just relate to different people differently.

[After the leaf raking this afternoon, I went to a wedding. The homily started with the pastor deliberately paraphrasing AMF: "After a road trip with Fitzgerald, Hemingway said, 'Never go on a trip with anyone you do not love.'" She went on to compare marriage to a trip. Later she told me she and a friend toured Paris a couple of years ago with a dogeared copy of AMF.]

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 pm

fansmom, I swear you live in the Twilight Zone! :hypnotic:

Good answers all around. Thanks, Noodlemantras.
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:17 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:fansmom, I swear you live in the Twilight Zone! :hypnotic:
You'd think I'd get used to it, but I know my jaw dropped.

The pastor is an advocate of Jungian therapy, and I said to her, "Synchonicity strikes again."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:24 am

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:I think we all role play a bit to get by in life, don't we? We treat friends/husbands/bosses/strangers all a little different.
I pondered this question a bit while raking leaves, and thought the same thing, Nebraska. Wouldn't it have been inappropriate for him to have treated Gertie or Fitz as he treated his wife? It's not necessarily that the role playing is false; we just relate to different people differently.

[After the leaf raking this afternoon, I went to a wedding. The homily started with the pastor deliberately paraphrasing AMF: "After a road trip with Fitzgerald, Hemingway said, 'Never go on a trip with anyone you do not love.'" She went on to compare marriage to a trip. Later she told me she and a friend toured Paris a couple of years ago with a dogeared copy of AMF.]

Did you hear me choke just now as I read this? Unbelievable! :-O

Back to the topic at hand....While reading AMF I was just annoyed at Hem's reactions to certain people and couldn't understand what I thought to be contradictory behavior. But maybe it was just as you & Nebraska say....reacting differently to different people--and on an emotional level. Thinking on this more this evening, I think his negative reactions to his contemporaries were a result of his competitiveness and jealousies of them. He had no reason to be competitive with Hadley.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Liz wrote:Thinking on this more this evening, I think his negative reactions to his contemporaries were a result of his competitiveness and jealousies of them. He had no reason to be competitive with Hadley.
Excellent point.

Return to “A Moveable Feast”