It's the anniversary of the birth of Arthur Rimbaud

by Ernest Hemingway

Moderator: Liz

Buster

Re: It's the anniversary of the birth of Arthur Rimbaud

Unread postby Buster » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:08 pm

My copies of A Season in Hell / The Drunken Boat and Illuminations were both published by New Directions Publishing Corporation, the former originally in 1945, the latter, 1946.

There are many translations of the poems; it is interesting (shall I say, "illuminating"?) to read the originals, then compare the various interpretations.

Dia

Unread postby Dia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:18 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I realized also that "The Illuminations" was just his title for a big collection of poems. So all of those individual poems do appear to be in the Complete Works, which seems to have everything. I have heard, however, of a lost manuscript of Rimbaud's called "La Chasse Spirituelle", that has never been found...
I definitely decided to pick up Schmidt's Complete Works, although I'm already currently working on Shantaram, Parallel Worlds, and Many Lives Many Masters, all of which are really good so far.
Last edited by Dia on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:33 am

Whoa, Dia! You've got your hands full! I can't imagine trying to read Shantaram and Parallel Worlds at the same time! (Although, now that I think about it, they may have more in common than meets the eye!) I haven't read Many Lives Many Masters, but it sounds like a heavy tome too. Maybe a little Rimbaud will offer some light refreshment? :lol:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:26 pm

Dia wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. I realized also that "The Illuminations" was just his title for a big collection of poems. So all of those individual poems do appear to be in the Complete Works, which seems to have everything. I have heard, however, of a lost manuscript of Rimbaud's called "La Chasse Spirituelle", that has never been found...
I definitely decided to pick up Schmidt's Complete Works, although I'm already currently working on Shantaram, Parallel Worlds, and Many Live Many Masters, all of which are really good so far.

How do you keep all of those books straight, reading them all concurrently? At least they are all different types of reads, which might make it easier to switch gears. Dia, I hope that you will join us for the Parallel Worlds discussion and for any prior to that, also.

:welcome: to ONBC!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Parlez wrote: Maybe a little Rimbaud will offer some light refreshment? :lol:

The Rimbaud I read was a short book but certainly not what I would call light.
I found myself re-reading several of his writings trying to discern what he was trying to say or to see if he was writing about himself.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Aye, I was making a joke there, gemini. I was being...what's the word...?
Not egregious.... Oh yes! Facetious! :grin:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Parlez wrote:Aye, I was making a joke there, gemini. I was being...what's the word...?
Not egregious.... Oh yes! Facetious! :grin:
Oh I''m so glad. If he were light reading than I am too much of a light weight reader.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Hey all, shame on me, I haven't been here in ages. :blush: I only now see you're discussing Rimbaud. I read Le Bateau Ivre for the first time when I was about 17-18 and thought it was stupid. I was reading things like Les Fleurs Du Mal and other shorter, more directly shocking things and I found Rimbaud a bit old fashioned. I read the poem again a few years later and thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever read, still do, in fact. Thanks for the tidbit, I still find it pretty strange that he just gave up on writing after producing something so beautiful at just 17. Now I need to go and look for more of his works.

Parlez, I'm not Endora but the other Mr. D would be Pete Doherty, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

part-time poet

Unread postby part-time poet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Teacher, we're not "discussing" Rimbaud on ONBC. This is a casual thread to celebrate Rimbaud's birthday, which has come and gone--as this thread is now about to do.

ONBC is discussing A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. Noodlemantras have gotten a bit carried away here, but since this has very little (if any) connection to Johnny Depp, I am making an administrative decision to close this thread and return ONBC to its regularly scheduled programming.

Perhaps at some time in the future, if we discover a connection to Johnny Depp, ONBC will launch an official discussion of Rimbaud, and we will welcome additional comments then. But it costs a lot to run the Zone, and this is essentially a "chat" thread--and we don't carry random chat threads (other than the Daily Features) because we can't afford them, ladies. Sorry. (Your contributions via Paypal are always welcome--see the button at the bottom of the home page.)

Our moderators have been on a brief vacation, but now that they are home, let's get back to Hemingway!

:goodvibes:

Part-Time Poet
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

Return to “A Moveable Feast”