ONBC's Next Book......A MOVEABLE FEAST

by Ernest Hemingway

Moderator: Liz

Parlez

Re: ONBC's Next Book......

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:09 pm

In support of my theory that every book has a destiny... I stopped by one of my favorite used book stores today just to browse, and there, sitting right there on the shelf in the Classics section was a used copy of AMF. In hardcover! First printing! 1964! For US$2.50!! What more can I say? I'm so happy! :heart2:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:18 pm

That is way cool, Parlez! Destiny indeed!

I got mine a couple of days ago at a used book store too. But it is a 1996 hardback.

Fansmom, I hadn't even thought about Fitzgerald as a tidbit yet. But now I am very pumped.
:bounce:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Wow, Parlez. That is the absolute embodiment of serendipty!! :applause2:

Liz, I'm glad you were able to find it used as well. I will be checking out the library book sale myself.

I love the tidbits and am really looking forward to seeing these. I am hoping to be able to actually read the book too this time! :hope:

Kate
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm so glad everyone is looking forward to this one! We are looking forward to seeing everyone.

Parlez, if that isn't the epitome of a book finding it's person I don't know what is! :-O

gemini, I knew the Hemingway cats were multi-toed, if you will, but I never knew the name for it. Thanks!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Inthezone

Unread postby Inthezone » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:36 pm

gemini wrote:I know I have had this book as a library loan but dont think I finished it. I guess its time to get it again.
Yes, inthezone and DITHOT, Hemingway is famous for his cats and they are just not any cats but Polyactyl Cats which are digitally enhanced felines. Here is a link to one of the pages on my pet web sites with my friend Lisa's cat who is a Hemingway cat descendant.
http://www.geocities.com/muttsville/polyactylcats.html

That was very cool. Thanks for the link. They did not mention the enhancement of the cats which in my opinion would have been a good tidbit for the tour. They look like bitty boxing gloves!
"For certain you must be lost to find the place what can't be found. Elseways everyone would know where it was." ~ Hector Barbossa

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:52 pm

Inthezone wrote:
gemini wrote:I know I have had this book as a library loan but dont think I finished it. I guess its time to get it again.
Yes, inthezone and DITHOT, Hemingway is famous for his cats and they are just not any cats but Polyactyl Cats which are digitally enhanced felines. Here is a link to one of the pages on my pet web sites with my friend Lisa's cat who is a Hemingway cat descendant.

That was very cool. Thanks for the link. They did not mention the enhancement of the cats which in my opinion would have been a good tidbit for the tour. They look like bitty boxing gloves!

Very :interesting: Our first tidbit! :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:19 am

Goodness those are real mittens, lovely cat too. I used to know someone who had lots of cats several of which were Polyactyls but they had very definate six toes very freaky to see .

Kate_with_a_K

Re: ONBC's Next Book......A MOVEABLE FEAST

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:03 pm

AFter I read ptp's comment about the new book being available used on amazon.com, I checked this one, and they have several in the $4 - $5 range, plus shipping.
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Sounds great...I haven't read Hemmingway since school...this should be fun.
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Went to the library to pick up my copy of AMF and not only was it waiting for me but there was also a DVD of the same title - good thing the librarian looked a little closer before she handed it to me as it was a DVD for new mothers who are breastfeeding :lol: The two of us just looked at each other and knew that to start laughing would have undone both of us - even now I can't start for fear I might not be able to stop :lol: Wonder what "Hem" would have thought of the mix up!?!? So the moral of the story ladies - careful what you ask for at the circulation desk!!!
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Am at a least 50 pages into the book. I love it ! The man uses such simple phrasing. I love that he said about beginning a story. Write one single true sentence..

Anyways, am enjoying...looking forward to the chat. I believe we may have eaten a meal across from one of the cafe's he mentions in St Germain...one thing SG doesn't lack for is delicious restautants...ah...Pareeeeee!!!!

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Parlez wrote:In support of my theory that every book has a destiny... I stopped by one of my favorite used book stores today just to browse, and there, sitting right there on the shelf in the Classics section was a used copy of AMF. In hardcover! First printing! 1964! For US$2.50!! What more can I say? I'm so happy! :heart2:

Mr. Corso would admire your prowess at spotting a hidden gem!!

What a great find !! Enjoy !!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:50 pm

As an after thought I wanted to add.... The reason I didn't read all of AMF was not that it didn't interest me but due to my over zealous choosing of titles at the library. I usually pick several at a time and run out of time before I finish them. I always intend getting them again but at times I get sidetracked. I did get this out last week and read it cover to cover in no time. I will either pick it up again or buy a copy as needed when we get to the discussion. Just didn't want anyone debating whether reading it to think I didn't like it.
It made me fall in love with Fitzgerald again.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:15 pm

lizbet, that is too funny about the DVD! :rotflmao: And, Kittycat, the devil you say! :lol: Actually, I wish I had Corso's prowess in finding such gems, as well as someone to subsidize the time it takes to hunt for them. In this case, I wasn't really looking, or looking intently. AMF just found me.
Gemini ~ you mean you fell in love all over again with Hemingway, right, not Fitzgerald. Otherwise, Papa H is turning over in his grave right about now I think! But, no worries, Mate - back in the 'classics' discussion I said 'The Song of Hiawatha' was written by James Fenimore Cooper when, in fact, it was written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Three names = close!
Anyway, I want to thank you guys for reminding me that I should hop to it and start reading this book! I've gotten sidetracked (Perez-Reverte would be so happy to hear that) with Parallel Worlds, which has nothing whatsoever to do with Paris in the 20's. (well, I'm not sure...maybe it does...:hypnotic: )
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:24 pm

Parlez wrote:lizbet, that is too funny about the DVD! :rotflmao: And, Kittycat, the devil you say! :lol: Actually, I wish I had Corso's prowess in finding such gems, as well as someone to subsidize the time it takes to hunt for them. In this case, I wasn't really looking, or looking intently. AMF just found me.
Gemini ~ you mean you fell in love all over again with Hemingway, right, not Fitzgerald. Otherwise, Papa H is turning over in his grave right about now I think! But, no worries, Mate - back in the 'classics' discussion I said 'The Song of Hiawatha' was written by James Fenimore Cooper when, in fact, it was written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Three names = close!
Anyway, I want to thank you guys for reminding me that I should hop to it and start reading this book! I've gotten sidetracked (Perez-Reverte would be so happy to hear that) with Parallel Worlds, which has nothing whatsoever to do with Paris in the 20's. (well, I'm not sure...maybe it does...:hypnotic: )

No Parlez I fell in love again with F Scott Fitzgerald from Hemingway writing about his life. I like reading Hemingway but he is too full of himself for me to fall in love with. I like the needy sentimental types.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “A Moveable Feast”