TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:52 am

Compare the book to the film version.
What did you think of the changes?
Which did you like best--the book or the movie?
Why?



Noodlemantras, this is our last question for this discussion. I think this has been a particularly thought provoking one...although a bit confusing at times! Thank you all for your participation and wonderful insights, as always. :cool:

Youse guys... :guitar: :rocknroll:


We will see you very soon in 1920's Paris :frenchie: for Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Parlez
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Colorado

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:26 am

Hmmm...where to begin?? First there's the obvious difference of not having any of the Dumas material in the film. I don't see how it could've been done otherwise, and Polanski's attraction to the occult themes would've superceded the Dumas stuff anyway. Personally, after being led through the Dumas maze in the book, I didn't miss it one bit in the film. But the film left me scratching my head as well. It seemed incredibly contrived to me, especially the last scene with Corso and Green Eyes...gratuitous is the word that comes to mind, along with self-indugent. I really wanted to like TNG, because of Johnny and because I'm a Polanski fan. But it just missed the mark for me.
So I can't say which one - the book or the film - I prefer. I really didn't like either of them! But, with the aid of this discussion, I've come to appreciate them both more than I did before. So thanks for that, Mods & 'Mantras! :cool:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Cindee
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:19 am
Location: Arizona

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Cindee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 am

I definitely liked the movie more than the book. As a matter of fact if I had not seen the movie a few times before, I could never have gotten through the book. The story, for me at least, kept getting bogged down by all the minutiae. But I am proud to say that I did finish the book even though I did not care for it.

User avatar
Endora
Posts: 16481
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: Darkest UK~ Down in Albion

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Endora » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:12 pm

I am hugely fond of TNG, despite its terrible flaws. Like you say, Parlez, that last scene with the girl (the sex scene) is just silly. Not even convincing, I thought. And they couldn't have done it at all as a film with the Dumas elements. I love the character of Corso largely for the things about him we never learn...where did he come from, his backstory and soon. Every time I see it I think about how good it could have been in RP had been less of a control freak and let JD use his creativity. Now in the book we learn more, but its not sympathetic to him. Lucas is better filled out character-wise than Dean, and to me that's solely RP's fault.

Incidentally, when I watched TNG a couple of evenings ago I was struck how much Dean resembled Sands in his phrasing and slyness. Some phrases if you closed your eyes could have come from OUATIM. It set me thinking how similar those two chracters were, despite the different exteriors.

But book or film? Can't say. It's like comparing cars with chocolate. They do different jobs.

Ladies, thanks for this discussion. Killer questions as ever! I am in awe, Liz and DITHOT. Thank you so much.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

User avatar
Kittycat88
Posts: 36862
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:44 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:24 pm

Movie beats book.

Depp is fascinating in this role, I agree with others, because it is a flawed role with problematic directing. We are left hungry for more Corso...what makes him tick? Where did he come from? Where is he going..not to the devil !!

I think I have probably watched NG more than any other Johnny film. Plus he is sooooo good looking in it !!

Plus, of course, it is when he met VP and that makes it a special movie for me.
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Cindee wrote:I definitely liked the movie more than the book. As a matter of fact if I had not seen the movie a few times before, I could never have gotten through the book. The story, for me at least, kept getting bogged down by all the minutiae. But I am proud to say that I did finish the book even though I did not care for it.

My thoughts/feelings exactly, Cindee. Getting through this book was a struggle, although I liked the movie very much. However, the discussion has given me a new appreciation for the book. I think it got me more involved in it--more interested in what P-R was really trying to accomplish. But I would never have gotten to that point without all the input from youse guys. I'd also like to add that if an ending is straight forward and/or happy there is not much to discuss. So kudos to the Noodlemantras for making my TCD experience a good one. :disco:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Endora wrote:I am hugely fond of TNG, despite its terrible flaws. Like you say, Parlez, that last scene with the girl (the sex scene) is just silly. Not even convincing, I thought. And they couldn't have done it at all as a film with the Dumas elements. I love the character of Corso largely for the things about him we never learn...where did he come from, his backstory and soon. Every time I see it I think about how good it could have been in RP had been less of a control freak and let JD use his creativity. Now in the book we learn more, but its not sympathetic to him. Lucas is better filled out character-wise than Dean, and to me that's solely RP's fault.

Incidentally, when I watched TNG a couple of evenings ago I was struck how much Dean resembled Sands in his phrasing and slyness. Some phrases if you closed your eyes could have come from OUATIM. It set me thinking how similar those two chracters were, despite the different exteriors.

But book or film? Can't say. It's like comparing cars with chocolate. They do different jobs.

Ladies, thanks for this discussion. Killer questions as ever! I am in awe, Liz and DITHOT. Thank you so much.

Thanks, Endora. :angel: And you've had some killer answers. I had not noticed the similarity between Corso and Sands. But I see it now. They both have that cool blasé attitude, sarcasm, and voice inflection. Good catch! :sands:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Kittycat88 wrote:I think I have probably watched NG more than any other Johnny film. Plus he is sooooo good looking in it !!

Kittycat, it's up there as one of the most watched for me too. I'm not sure if it is because I like it that much or because it is just convenient to watch--a tape I made from TV that I can watch in the kitchen on my little TV. And I've watched it a lot just for this discussion. I have to say I do LOVE the musical score. Despite its flaws, I think Polanski did a good job of bringing the book to film. I realize it would have been impossible for him to incorporate the Dumas aspect into it; and that is just fine with me. I was quite confused, though, when first reading the book as to who Balkan was because of the Balkan character in the movie (who really was Borja). And I still have not decided which ending I prefer. I'm not happy with either.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28974
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Without reading anyone else's answers, and remembering that I saw the movie first and then read the book.....I thought the book was much more complex than the movie - there were two storylines going on in the book, the search for the Anjou Wine manuscript and the mystery of the Club Dumas on one hand and the search for the nine doors on the other hand. The movie was restricted to the Nine Gates and the search for the way to summon the devil. I think in many instances a movie has to be more streamlined because there is a limited amount of time to get the story told -- but the book's story was richer in its detail and complexity.

I thought the book had a more satisfying ending. I felt like I almost understood what happened. :freaked: The ending to the movie has always been confusing to me. Lately I have come to the conclusion that Corso's seduction at the end and his walking into the castle alone are representative of what happened to his soul, not literal physical visuals. That makes more sense to me as I always found it odd that he walked into the castle alone instead of with the Girl at his side.

There is still a lot about both the book and the movie that I don't really understand. Maybe that is a good thing. :lol: The discussion here, while mind boggling and really over my head a good deal of the time, gave me a deeper appreciation for the book. It is so much more than a simple work of fiction.

DITHOT and Liz, you really took on a challenge with this one and you were up to it as always! Congratulations! And thanks to everyone who shed some light it all.

User avatar
fansmom
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Olney, Maryland

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:58 pm

I'd been waiting for this question, and now many of you have already said things I wanted to say. I guess that's actually encouraging!

Movie: I didn't like the editing/directing. I only have it on VHS, and haven't bothered to get it on DVD, which is a sign that I don't watch it much. In addition to the silliness of that sex scene at the end, the "humor" in the death strikes me as inappropriate. The movie also lacks the subtlety of the book: the supernatural/occult elements of the book are explicit in a way that just doesn't work for me. I don't miss the Three Musketeers plot at all; I think it would have made the movie much too complex, and I must agree that I really like that actor who played Corso.

Book: I enjoyed the book much more this time than the first time I read it, due to the discussion and the tidbits. :thanks: I now know much more about Dumas and the Three Musketeers than I did before the tidbits. However, I have to admit that there's a certain "nudge-nudge, aren't we clever and well-read" aspect to the book that I don't appreciate.

Note: well, there's a cool new feature of the Zone! It told me that Nebraska had added a post since I started typing.

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby gemini » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:01 pm

I like the book better. I had already seen the film and wasn't crazy about it even though I liked Dean. Lucas in the book became Johnny when I read the book.
The film leaves the Dumas connection out where the book runs two parallel stories which I liked better. The film relied too much on good vs evil without all the literary connections.

The characters
Dean Corso in the film vs Lucas Corso in the book. I like Lucas better because he loved Nikon once.

The most confusing thing between the film and the book for me was that Varo Borja and Boris Balking were sort of combined into one person as the villian in the film. It took me awhile to realize that Boris Balkin was just someone obsessed with his Dumas club and not involved in the Nine Gates conspiracy in the book and Varo Borja was the real villian since I had seen the film first. Even Boris Balkins's mistress , Milady (Liana) and Rochefort were just overzealous about being members of his Dumas club in the book.
In the film Balkin kills Liana Taillefer and she was his lover in the book. Also Corso's friend La Ponte is seduced by Liana in the book. The film only shows Corso sleeping with Liana. The book was still better. More character development.

The Ending
The film shows Corso's final seduction by the girl ( the devil) and the book ends after Varo Borjas death leaving the conclusion to the reader. After all our debating of the end...I still like the book ending better then Dean and the girls sex scene at the end of the film.
Last edited by gemini on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:02 pm

nebraska wrote: Without reading anyone else's answers, and remembering that I saw the movie first and then read the book.....I thought the book was much more complex than the movie - there were two storylines going on in the book, the search for the Anjou Wine manuscript and the mystery of the Club Dumas on one hand and the search for the nine doors on the other hand. The movie was restricted to the Nine Gates and the search for the way to summon the devil. I think in many instances a movie has to be more streamlined because there is a limited amount of time to get the story told -- but the book's story was richer in its detail and complexity.

I thought the book had a more satisfying ending. I felt like I almost understood what happened. :freaked: The ending to the movie has always been confusing to me. Lately I have come to the conclusion that Corso's seduction at the end and his walking into the castle alone are representative of what happened to his soul, not literal physical visuals. That makes more sense to me as I always found it odd that he walked into the castle alone instead of with the Girl at his side.

There is still a lot about both the book and the movie that I don't really understand. Maybe that is a good thing. :lol: The discussion here, while mind boggling and really over my head a good deal of the time, gave me a deeper appreciation for the book. It is so much more than a simple work of fiction.

DITHOT and Liz, you really took on a challenge with this one and you were up to it as always! Congratulations! And thanks to everyone who shed some light it all.

Challenging is an understatement, Nebraska. All of you made it look easier than it was. It was the Noodlemantras who were up for the challenge. Much thanks to all of you for guiding me through this book. :highfive:

Real life has kept me from watching the movie through its entirety again. Now I need to go back and watch that ending one more time before I comment on it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Endora
Posts: 16481
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: Darkest UK~ Down in Albion

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Endora » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Forgot to say, just as a little thing I noticed in the film- the cafe he is drinking in by the Seine along from the Baroness's house is revealed, as he is waiting for the secretary to go for lunch, as Le Cafe d'Anjou.

Kitty said:
I think I have probably watched NG more than any other Johnny film. Plus he is sooooo good looking in it !!

Absolutely! After all this hard thinking, let's not forget that! :rotflmao:
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

User avatar
fansmom
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Olney, Maryland

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:07 pm

My little :thanks: in my previous post was a complete understatement. Liz and DITHOT are--as always--superb! You two rock! :hatsoff: :thanks!: :notworthy:

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:14 pm

fansmom wrote: Note: well, there's a cool new feature of the Zone! It told me that Nebraska had added a post since I started typing.

How did it tell you that? You and Gemini posted while I responding to Nebraska, and I didn't notice that it told me that. I probably don't know where to look. I'm still learning things about the new features.

And I will take this opportunity to point out that there is an ONBC Style with our little logo at the top of the board, if you should chose to switch from the Zone style. It's easy to switch in your profile.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “The Club Dumas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest