TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Parlez
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Colorado

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:All I really care about is that Wednesday I will have free license to watch the 9th Gate again!!!!!!!! :cloud9: Life is good.

You might want to make that Tuesday. I'm thinking we could possibly lose another question.

NO! Say it isn't so! Well, whenever we all watch TNG again, trying to see if Johnny comes across as the devil, or his spawn, or as a hapless anti-hero, or the anti-Christ, or whatever, we'll have plenty to talk about then, eh? :flamed:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 am

Parlez wrote:
Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:All I really care about is that Wednesday I will have free license to watch the 9th Gate again!!!!!!!! :cloud9: Life is good.

You might want to make that Tuesday. I'm thinking we could possibly lose another question.

NO! Say it isn't so!

Oh behave. :lol:
It seems we may have saved that question. We're moving it up to tomorrow. And I deppinately want to watch the ending again myself after today's discussion.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
suec
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: uk

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:20 am

Buster wrote:On the last page...
"But there was no shadow at his feet."
Corso was never the devil, but at the end , he consigned himself to her.


Buster, I agree.

I don't believe he's the devil, in either the book or the film. I think he isn't responsible for the killings. He even tries to make sure that Fargas isn't harmed when he sets up the burglary and his reaction to the deaths in the lat chapter when he is talking to the girl about them is very telling. I believe the role being referred to in the quote is that of Corso being the one to go through the gate.


(ETA: Perhaps I was a bit emphatic in the paragraph above. Will ponder some more. :mort1: )

Gemini, thanks for your argument in favour of the girl being the devil; you have convinced me.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

User avatar
Parlez
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Colorado

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby Parlez » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 am

Liz wrote:
Parlez wrote:
Liz wrote:You might want to make that Tuesday. I'm thinking we could possibly lose another question.

NO! Say it isn't so!

Oh behave. :lol:

I will not! :capnjack:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

User avatar
Endora
Posts: 16261
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: Darkest UK~ Down in Albion

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby Endora » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 am

I think "the crimes are Corso's" because by his investigations he acted as a sort of catalyst, without whom they would not have happened just then. But I don't think he was the devil. However, I now think there is more significance in the scene where the girl smears blood down his face than I first thought...a baptism, perhaps? (And back to a previous question, remember the same scene more or less in Dead Man?)
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

User avatar
Parlez
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Colorado

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby Parlez » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:22 am

Endora wrote:I think "the crimes are Corso's" because by his investigations he acted as a sort of catalyst, without whom they would not have happened just then. But I don't think he was the devil. However, I now think there is more significance in the scene where the girl smears blood down his face than I first thought...a baptism, perhaps? (And back to a previous question, remember the same scene more or less in Dead Man?)

Too true, Endora ~ Corso was the catalyst for the murders. However, I recall the scene (in either the movie or the book, I can't remember) after the Duchess has been killed in the fire and a cigarette is evidenced to be the cause...someone (Corso?) says, 'She didn't smoke,' and someone else replies, 'She did last night.' We assume the smoking killer wasn't Corso; that he was perhaps being set up to take the fall, but it could have actually been him. Anyway, I really rather like the idea of Corso being gradually possessed by the devil from within. (which would make that quip by The Girl - 'you have the answer within' - take on a new meaning) The idea of the unwitting guy slowing succumbing to demonic possession and acting unconsciously on Satan's behalf has such a nice Stephen King/Secret Window (not to mention Rosemary's Baby) ring to it. That way, the story isn't about Corso going through the process of embracing the devil; it's about the devil going through the process of embracing ('taking') Corso.
Of course, the theory doesn't exactly hold up under analytical scrutiny...but neither do the other theories we've looked at so far! :lol:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: TCD Question #22 ~ Johnny on Corso & The Ending

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Parlez wrote:
Endora wrote:I think "the crimes are Corso's" because by his investigations he acted as a sort of catalyst, without whom they would not have happened just then. But I don't think he was the devil. However, I now think there is more significance in the scene where the girl smears blood down his face than I first thought...a baptism, perhaps? (And back to a previous question, remember the same scene more or less in Dead Man?)

Too true, Endora ~ Corso was the catalyst for the murders. However, I recall the scene (in either the movie or the book, I can't remember) after the Duchess has been killed in the fire and a cigarette is evidenced to be the cause...someone (Corso?) says, 'She didn't smoke,' and someone else replies, 'She did last night.' We assume the smoking killer wasn't Corso; that he was perhaps being set up to take the fall, but it could have actually been him. Anyway, I really rather like the idea of Corso being gradually possessed by the devil from within. (which would make that quip by The Girl - 'you have the answer within' - take on a new meaning) The idea of the unwitting guy slowing succumbing to demonic possession and acting unconsciously on Satan's behalf has such a nice Stephen King/Secret Window (not to mention Rosemary's Baby) ring to it. That way, the story isn't about Corso going through the process of embracing the devil; it's about the devil going through the process of embracing ('taking') Corso.
Of course, the theory doesn't exactly hold up under analytical scrutiny...but neither do the other theories we've looked at so far! :lol:

Parlez, that is an interesting theory. It may be more plausible than any so far.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “The Club Dumas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest