TCD Question #21 ~ The Test

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: TCD Question #21 ~ The Test

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I suppose it is entirely possible that the ambiguities are purposeful and we are left to form our own opinions. Maybe the author is playing with us just as Borja played with Corso.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:40 pm

nebraska wrote:
Parlez wrote:
Endora wrote:
No, not too simple at all. Some might say that's the mark of a
good author. And all this searching for meaning, some might say what is the point. Maybe this book s more existentialist than it looks.

So we're back at square one (just like Corso!), debating the pros and cons of writing fiction, and the responsibilities of a book's author vis a vis his or her reader. Hmmm...if we take the Existentialist approach, we could say that nothing means anything; there is no point; and therefore a book's point and purpose is up for grabs. But I say there is (or should be) a point when it comes to crafting a story. It shouldn't just be a random stringing of meaningless events leading to obtuse interpretations that go nowhere. Connections should be made, and made well, which, for the most part would mean not leading to complete befuddlement.
If I want befuddlement I'd read non-fiction! :lol:

Parlez, I don't think it is random at all. I think it is all very carefully and very cleverly crafted. And I wonder if having a clear spoon-fed point is too simple. When I think back on many of the questions that have been WAY too far over my head to answer, and when I look at the various opinions of purposely obscure passages, I have to wonder what was in the author's mind........wouldn't it be a grand joke on all of us if there was NO answer except what we create for each of ourselves, in the privacy of our own minds.

I have always had questions about the ending of the movie (more so than the book) and maybe the point is to make us THINK.......and QUESTION.......and WONDER.......and in the end decide for ourselves what it means. That is a much more difficult task for an author than to create a concrete ending with no wiggle room at all.

And I hated it just as much at the end of our first ONBC book as I do now in this book. Arrrgggghhh. To me, the only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story. :mort1: I wonder why Johnny's Mort said that. :-O It wasn't from the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Yes yes yes, nobody's right if everybody's wrong! It just gets complicated beyond words when we're actually trying to have a discussion, as a group, about a book that's so bloomin' ambiguous. I don't like to be spoon-fed a story, nebraska, but I also don't like to waste my time having to wonder what's going on in an author's head...whether I'm being played with or made a fool of. That, to me, is not good storytelling.

But, such seems to be the case here. It appears we all are left by P-R to draw our own conclusions from the plethora of hints, clues, names, euphemisms, etc., he's planted oh so skillfully in this book.

And I'm with you, Liz, the ending is pretty darn important! (Btw, that line - your siggie - is from Secret Window :mort1: )
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:31 am

Parlez wrote:(Btw, that line - your siggie - is from Secret Window :mort1: )

Are you saying that the quote is in the book? That means I forgot. Big surprise....or not. For some reason, I thought it was just from the movie. That shows that my memory is really failing. :-/

And I'm thinking of trying to contact P-R again about a Q&A. But then, he probably wouldn't answer the million dollar question.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 am

And I'm thinking of trying to contact P-R again about a Q&A. But then, he probably wouldn't answer the million dollar question

I can't help thinking you're right, there. But thanks for trying.

I suppose it is entirely possible that the ambiguities are purposeful and we are left to form our own opinions. Maybe the author is playing with us just as Borja played with Corso.

DIDHOT, most deppinately, IMO. I don’t suppose it is any more than coincidence, bearing in mind the date in T3M, but I can’t help thinking that it is wildly appropriate that the denouement (such as it is) is on April Fool’s Day.

Frieda says this about the devil:
Do you like guessing games? Puzzles with hidden keys? In a way the book you are holding is exactly like that. Like any intelligent being, the devil likes games, riddles. Obstacle courses where the weak and incapable fall by the wayside and only superior beings – the initiates – win.

He could just as easily be referring to himself here. He likes games. This isn’t the only book he has written where he has characters playing games with each other. And this book doesn’t feel like an obstacle course. It feels like being inside the labyrinth. Well, I am one of the weak and incapable ones. I have read the book several times and still haven’t come to any real conclusions. I think the girl is the devil or one of his minions – I don’t really care which. But any knowledge we have of the devil comes from outside the book – from other books, or from what we have been taught. He points that out when he has Corso saying his knowledge of the devil is secondhand. I either go with what I learn about the girl and her character within the confines of the book, and what she says about the devil, or I fall back on intertextuality to help solve it.

when I look at the various opinions of purposely obscure passages, I have to wonder what was in the author's mind........wouldn't it be a grand joke on all of us if there was NO answer except what we create for each of ourselves, in the privacy of our own minds… maybe the point is to make us THINK.......and QUESTION.......and WONDER.......and in the end decide for ourselves what it means. That is a much more difficult task for an author than to create a concrete ending with no wiggle room at all.

:cool: nebraska

I agree with this.

I have a feeling when we get to the question on the ending we will all have very different versions and Perez Reverte is laughing at those of us who thought the author decides the outcome because he supplies the information. He seems to have discussed it ahead of time because he went to a lot of trouble to give us choices to leave the readers with their own interpretation. Gemini

And with this also. To some extent, it’s very appropriate. He is dealing a topic that everyone has to come to terms with in their own way: to believe or not to believe, and which version to believe. But, I’m with Corso and his reaction to Borja’s revelations. Disgruntled.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “The Club Dumas”