TCD Question #19 ~ Memorable Characters

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TCD Question #19 ~ Memorable Characters

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:25 am

pg 319: “There are characters in literature that have a life of their own, familiar to millions of people who haven’t even read the books in which they appear…"

Who are your memorable characters in literature?

Noodlemantras, I’m sorry to be so absent lately. This time of year my job requires lots of extra hours and that has been keeping me away from where I would rather be!
:ONBC:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Re: TCD Question #19 ~ Memorable Characters

Unread postby Buster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Sherlock Holmes
Monkey

I mostly read nonfiction, so we're delving into hero-worship for the rest of the list...

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Gandalf, Frodo and Aragorn from Lord of the Rings I would say mostly. I've never been struck by any others really.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:02 pm

All of the characters, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Switters, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins
Owen Meany, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Garp, The World According to Garp by John Irving
Taylor Greer and Turtle, The Bean Trees & Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver
Cal, Middle Sex by Jeffrey Eunides
Grenouille, Perfume by Patrick Suskind
Sebastian Dangerfield, The Ginger Man by J.P. Donleavy
Rachel & her Rachelisms, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Idgie, Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg
Snow Flower and Lily from Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:40 pm

I have to agree, GG, that all the characters in Lord of the Rings are among my favorites, but I think Gollum has a slight edge on all the rest.

And, Liz, can I just steal your list? We really have similar favorites.

But I will add the following:
Scout Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Frankie Adams, The Member of the Wedding, Carson McCullers
Prabaker, Shantaram, Gregory David Roberts
Jonathan Rebeck, A Fine and Private Place, Peter S. Beagle
and the little boy and his "friend" (his elderly cousin Dolly in real life) in A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

This could turn into a list of hundreds for me, but those are some of my faves.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 pm

I see I completely misinterpreted this question to mean literature, a la high-brow classics. Whew! I'm glad I was wrong! I love everyone's choices - Gandalf and the Gang, Scout, Owen Meany, Garp, Prabaker - excellent! And thank you bix for reminding me (via your siggie) of Auntie Mame! I have to add her to my list. Plus Nokomis, from The Song of Hiawatha, by Jame Fenimore Cooper (even though that's a poem), and Siddhatha, from Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse (even though some consider that to be non-fiction). Antoine from Happy Days is my most recent memorable character.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Where to start? Switters, as someone said, for sure. And of course, Sal and Dean, particularly Dean who probably was the cause of my finding this place where we post. And Quoyle from The Shipping News (a book of perfect geography!). And Joachim from The Christmas Mystery (Jostein Gaarder). And Atticus Finch, for the courthouse speech, and Winston Smith for the chapter where he reflects on morality. And Des Esseintes from A Rebours for his ennui and decadence (my other Mr D).

I know where to start but I'm glad to say that I don't know where to end. Like your sig, DITHOT, the understanding of the journey is more important than the knowledge of the destination.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Oh, Parlez, we're thinking alike. I was about to post this when I read your post--

Hmmm. Define "literature," please, and "characters", while you're at it. Am I allowed to include real people whom I know only from books? Anne Frank? The Ingalls family of the Little House on the Prairie books? What about thrillers, romances, mysteries? I love Amelia Peabody of Elizabeth Peter's Egyptian historical mysteries, along with her whole brood of relatives and friends, but I wouldn't describe those fun books as "literature."

I'd include just about everyone listed in previous posts.
Scarlet O'Hara. The nameless protagonist of Rebecca. Everyone in the Narnia books, including the evil ones. but especially Lucy. Horace Rumpole. Stephanie Plum.

You know what Mark Twain called a classic, right? "A book which people praise but don't read."

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:02 pm

So...
Which characters would you like to invite for dinner?
And...
what would you serve?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Encarta defines literature as:

1. Written works with artistic value: written works, e.g. fiction, poetry, drama, and criticism, that are recognized as having important or permanent artistic value

2. Body of written works: the body of written works of a culture, language, people, or period of time (i.e. Russian literature)

3. Writings on a subject: the body of published work concerned with a particular subject (i.e. scientific literature)

4. Body of Music: the body of musical compositions for a particular instrument or group of instruments (this one doesn’t really count for our purposes here)

5. Printed Information: printed matter such as brochures or flyers that give information

6. Production of Literary Works: the creation of literary work, especially as an art or occupation

As you can see above, “literature” has many meanings.

I obviously was not thinking “high-brow”. I do not know, for sure, what DITHOT had in mind because this is her question, and we didn’t discuss what “literature” meant when we were putting the questions together. I was thinking in terms of literature as fiction and taking it from the books that high schoolers and college students are required to read in their “literature” classes, which can be a wide range of choices.

I sort of ruled out Shantaram because I thought it was a true story, and, as I said above, I was only thinking fiction. That’s why I did not list Prabu (who is probably one of the most memorable characters of all-time). But I forgot that Greg Roberts classifies his book as a novel. So add Prabu to my list.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Buster wrote:So...
And...
what would you serve?

I have to think on that one. :eyebrow: But it certainly wouldn't be Grenouille. :hills:

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:47 pm

And...
what would you serve?

This question brings to mind two more memorable characters - Rhett Butler and Heathcliff - either of which I wouldn't mind sharing a meal with. However, dinner would be short-lived because no matter what was on the menu I'd be thinking about dessert.... :lol:

ooh,ooh wait, I've got it! My pick for a literary dinner companion: Tom Jones!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Here's who I'd invited to dinner:

Taylor and Turtle, because we’d have a lot to talk about.

Cal, because I’d like to hear more about the rest of his life.

Prabu, because I’d love to hear him talk.

Switters, because he’d add comic relief.

Rachel. I’d set her up with Switters.

I’d serve one of my specialties—lasagna—because I know it is safe. And I’d serve my carrot cake for dessert.

I’d want Jay Gatsby to invite me to his place for dinner. :grin: Eating at Idgie’s place might get a bit dicey. :mort1:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Leave it to youse guys to over analyze the question. :grin: I guess I should have said your favorite person from the written word? ;-) I was really just trying to differentiate between film and books.

From books: Definitely Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird
Gus from Lonesome Dove
Winnie the Pooh (and Tiger too ;-))
Reuben Land from Peace Like a River

I know there are more, I'll get back to you.
:blush:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Liz wrote:
And...
what would you serve?

I have to think on that one. :eyebrow: But it certainly wouldn't be Grenouille. :hills:
Or Gollum. :yuck:

Return to “The Club Dumas”