TCD Question #19 ~ Memorable Characters

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Re: TCD Question #19 ~ Memorable Characters

Unread postby gemini » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Famous character in literature hmmmmm. Boy I can't even remember the books I've read let alone the characters. I can think of many who are famous but memorable to me narrows it down a bit.

Scarlet Ohara
Hawkeye and Uncas from last of the Mohicans
Sherlcok Holmes
Robin Hood
Merlin
Heathcliff - Mr Darcy etc
Switters thanks for reminding me Liz. I loved his sense of humor
Lestat the vampire of Anne Rice's

More recents
Edward Cullen vampire in the Twilight series (Sorry I am a sci fi freak)

Funny I just looked through our ONBC book lists and I loved many of those books but few of the characters fit that definition of favorite or memorable to me. I am sure there are those in reading years gone by that impressed me that I am not recalling. Maybe one of you will list some to refresh my memory.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 pm

gemini wrote: Funny I just looked through our ONBC book lists and I loved many of those books but few of the characters fit that definition of favorite or memorable to me. I am sure there are those in reading years gone by that impressed me that I am not recalling. Maybe one of you will list some to refresh my memory.

Memorable may not be your favorite--Sebastian Dangerfield is not exactly my favorite. Nor is Grenouille. But they are hard to forget. The others on my list are favorites. And as you can see, many on my list are more recent. I don't remember some of the ones from my past (although they were big at the time), like Heathcliff, the characters in Pride and Prejudice, the characters in Animal Farm, Ethan Frome, Mattie and Zeena or Gregor Samsa in Metamorphosis. I know they were big at the time for me, but I cannot remember them now. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:22 pm

Liz wrote:
gemini wrote: Funny I just looked through our ONBC book lists and I loved many of those books but few of the characters fit that definition of favorite or memorable to me. I am sure there are those in reading years gone by that impressed me that I am not recalling. Maybe one of you will list some to refresh my memory.

Memorable may not be your favorite--Sebastian Dangerfield is not exactly my favorite. Nor is Grenouille. But they are hard to forget. The others on my list are favorites. And as you can see, many on my list are more recent. I don't remember some of the ones from my past (although they were big at the time), like Heathcliff, the characters in Pride and Prejudice, the characters in Animal Farm, Ethan Frome, Mattie and Zeena or Gregor Samsa in Metamorphosis. I know they were big at the time for me, but I cannot remember them now. :-/

Yes you are correct Liz, I was thinking of memorable in a positive way. Sebastian Dangerfield was certaily memorable to me but I couldn't stand him.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:26 am

Nor I, gemini.

For me, the Arthurian knights, Frodo and Sam from LOTR. I'm a sucker for a quest and all that goes with it. Jane Eyre - she with as much soul as he and full as much heart. Frankenstein and his creature - both monstrous. Neither likeable but both memorable.
I am very fond of Sam Spade in The Big Sleep. Another knight in his way.
For ONBC books, I would say Lin, Switters, Rochester. I count him because I remember reading about him when I was a kid.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 am

Many great answers here! I won't duplicate. Christopher McCandless from Into The Wild. Haunting! Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear. Tom Builder and Ellen from Pillars of the Earth. Just to name a couple. And yes, Liz, my list is largely recent also. :-?

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

So how old are we as a group?? We seem to be relying rather heavily on short-term memory here! :lol: Either our long-term memory has collectively collapsed with age, or we've been reading a lot of books with memorable characters of late. In any case, I'm definitely adding to my reading list. Thanks! :cool:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Parlez wrote:So how old are we as a group?? We seem to be relying rather heavily on short-term memory here! :lol: Either our long-term memory has collectively collapsed with age, or we've been reading a lot of books with memorable characters of late. In any case, I'm definitely adding to my reading list. Thanks! :cool:

Well, I am almost old enough for social security. :freaked:

Remember when we discussed Dick and Jane and Sally recently? I guess I could add them to my list of memorable characters! I can still see the pictures in my little first grade reader. :lol: I read some of the Nancy Drew mystery books - I always loved to read - but I guess I can't say any of those characters from my earlier days were especially memorable. Well, maybe Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Fun guys. And Heathcliff. But he has already been mentioned. More than once, I think. Do we have a collective desire to see Johnny in that role?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Parlez wrote:So how old are we as a group?? We seem to be relying rather heavily on short-term memory here! :lol: Either our long-term memory has collectively collapsed with age, or we've been reading a lot of books with memorable characters of late. In any case, I'm definitely adding to my reading list. Thanks! :cool:

Unfortunately, I think, in my case, it is due to the memory. A Moveable Feast is probably the first classic I have read in over 30 years.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:48 pm

But wait, my books were mainly from my childhood and adolescence--what does that say about me?! Maybe my short term memory has collapsed!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Do I know you people? :perplexed: You seem vaguely familiar...

One of my favs, Reuben, was from a recent novel and I'd like to add whathisface from Water for Elephants. See my mind is just fine.
:jester:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Club Dumas”