TCD Question # 15 ~ Why this movie?

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TCD Question # 15 ~ Why this movie?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:49 am

What did Johnny see in the character and in the film that caused him to choose this project?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Re: TCD Question # 15 ~

Unread postby Buster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 am

I certainly can't shed any light on what Johnny may have been thinking, but there does seem to be a recurring theme in many of his roles, and it seems to have to do with the nature of mortality/immortality.

Edward Scissorhands- living forever, never aging
Ed Wood- immortalized in his "art"
Rafael - caught up in the value of his own life in relation to the value of his family's lives
Donnie Brasco - hmmm - his own mortality vs. "perceived wrong"?
John Wilmot - immortalized by his own writings, but also a player in immortalizing a monarch
Ichabod Crane - laying to rest a "ghost"; perhaps also investigating how one perceives reality?
Fred Abberline, Sweeney Todd - investigating mortality from opposite perspectives (hee hee)
Willie Wonka, J.M. Barrie - what does it mean to "never grow up"?
Hunter - definitely looking into the parameters of perception

The kicker - Dead Man...especially when taken with the cameo in LA without a Map. An iconic poster, immortalizing Johnny as a Dead Man, coming back to life to comment on present events.

radwen

Re: TCD Question # 15 ~

Unread postby radwen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:22 am

Good question but not sure if I have an answer. I have also wondered if he based his choice on the book or on a script.

I think the book and movie are very different, so knowing which one he based his decision on would also be interesting.

It is another one of those roles were he is playing somewhat of an "outsider".
Now Bring Me That Horizon

Parlez

Re: TCD Question # 15 ~ Why this movie?

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Aye, with the book and movie script being so different it's hard to second guess which one caught Johnny's attention. I'm thinking the chance to work with Polanski would've been an rather strong draw. Roman likes to explore the dark side of the psyche - the 'evil' forces that lurk both outside and within - and it's pretty clear Johnny's not immune to exploring that arena. Both of them are known to embrace (or at least not shy away from) the supernatural, the occult. I'm also guessing Corso's role as a book sleuth would've been a magnet for JD since he's such a book lover. Then there's the physical description of Corso, which is the same in both the book and the film and fits Johnny to a tee! How could an actor not imagine himself in a role that's such a good match - seeing himself wearing the old clothes, carrying the book bag, fiddling with the eye glasses, handling the cigarette, etc., etc.? Even if such an obvious thing isn't on the top of an actor's list for choosing a part, it's on the top of a director's list for choosing the actor.
Last edited by Parlez on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:18 pm

In my opinion only, I think he chose it for the script and a try with Polanski...of course, Johnny would say destiny had a big part in his picking this film to do when he did, where he did...but....
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:23 pm

I think I read somewhere that he chose it for an opportunity to work with Polanski.

And then as kitty pointed out, destiny took over!
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:06 pm

I go for the destiny. But I find Buster’s answer quite interesting. I had never made those connections before.

I also think Corso fits the kind of character that Johnny seems to love to play…..the ambivalent guy….the guy that embodies both good and evil. I think he found the character interesting, especially how he evolves. He speaks to that in the extras from the DVD (which I have since returned to the DVD store, failing to write down that quote). :banghead:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 pm

I agree with what Parlez said (I think).

I also believe I read or heard that working with Polanski was a draw for Johnny although I think I also read somewhere that it was not the fabulous experience he thought it would be. :-?

There are significant differences in the book and the movie, which I am sure we will discuss before this is all over so I won't comment :angel: ...... except to say it might make a difference if Johnny based his choice on the book or the script or if it was both.

Corso is an interesting character - a loner, driven, torn, obsessed ...... lots to work with there for an actor like Johnny who likes to explore the inner workings of characters on the fringe.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, I also agree that Polanski was a draw but Johnny always leans toward pushing the envelope as much as possible and Corso was going down one of those roads. I think that he may have liked the idea of working in France after reading all the Beat stories and Hemingways with such an admiration of Paris.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:39 pm

nebraska wrote: except to say it might make a difference if Johnny based his choice on the book or the script or if it was both.

Knowing Johnny (not that I am an expert on the man), I'm thinking that he was drawn in by the script and a chance to work with Polanski; but he probably read the book too in order to get a full understanding of Corso because Johnny is just that thorough in researching a role.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 am

I agree with nebraska about Corso. I remember Johnny saying once that behind a performance of his there was so much about the character that the audience didn't see. Corso has so much potential for that. Nikon is important, yet she isn't even mentioned in the film. As well as his past, there's the way other characters view him, which adds a rich layer, and providing much useful information about how to play the part. Then there are the little details that reveal so much, with the model soldiers and refusal to admit the significance of the sword, and phoning up Flavio in the middle of the night, etc. I like his dry way of speaking, that made me laugh out loud sometimes when I read the story. But there is also the sorrow and darkness in him. Plus the exploration of the moral boundaries and then there's the character arc. All in all, I think he's a gift for an actor to play.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Didn't Johnny say something about not liking Corso at the beginning of the movie, and liking him less at the end?

I think that the unsympatheric nature of the protagonist is a theme he likes to explore, as in the Libertine, CATCF, ST, Blow, Sw, etc.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:00 am

stroch wrote:Didn't Johnny say something about not liking Corso at the beginning of the movie, and liking him less at the end?

Right ~ I remember being quite surprised to hear Johnny say that; that Corso was a guy the audience wouldn't like in the beginning and would like even less at the end. As an audience member, I didn't get that impression of Corso at all. I didn't understand him in the beginning, and understood him even less at the end, but I never disliked him. I guess that's true for me when it comes to Johnny...I can't seem to conjure up dislike for any of the characters he plays. :heart2:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Madly

Unread postby Madly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:30 am

I'm sorry - but what movie are you all talking about? I can't find a title mentioned anywhere??? :blush: Thanks!

Madly
Now, bring me that horizon...

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:34 am

Madly wrote:I'm sorry - but what movie are you all talking about? I can't find a title mentioned anywhere??? :blush: Thanks!

Madly
The Ninth Gate.

Return to “The Club Dumas”