TCD Question # 15 ~ Why this movie?

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Re: TCD Question # 15 ~ Why this movie?

Unread postby Endora » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 am

Parlez wrote:
stroch wrote:Didn't Johnny say something about not liking Corso at the beginning of the movie, and liking him less at the end?

Right ~ I remember being quite surprised to hear Johnny say that; that Corso was a guy the audience wouldn't like in the beginning and would like even less at the end. As an audience member, I didn't get that impression of Corso at all. I didn't understand him in the beginning, and understood him even less at the end, but I never disliked him. I guess that's true for me when it comes to Johnny...I can't seem to conjure up dislike for any of the characters he plays. :heart2:

Doesn't that sound so like The Libertine as well.

Parlez, me too regarding not disliking his characters. It used to worry me because I thought maybe he couldn't do dislikeable characters, but now I see it as him always giving them a more realistic dimension, in that everyone (generalising here) has both good and bad facets.

Back to the question: I'm sure it was one of those fortuitous coincidences...the chance of working with RP, a gap in his schedule, the chance to work abroad, the content of the film, maybe having read the book first. Everyone has things like that in life. A combination of little choices which end up making a big difference.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Madly

Unread postby Madly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:58 am

fansmom wrote:
Madly wrote:I'm sorry - but what movie are you all talking about? I can't find a title mentioned anywhere??? :blush: Thanks!

Madly
The Ninth Gate.

Thanks - sorry - I can't see most of his movies - can't do violence - but am interested in his characters and plot lines...

Madly
Now, bring me that horizon...

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Parlez wrote:
stroch wrote:Didn't Johnny say something about not liking Corso at the beginning of the movie, and liking him less at the end?

Right ~ I remember being quite surprised to hear Johnny say that; that Corso was a guy the audience wouldn't like in the beginning and would like even less at the end. As an audience member, I didn't get that impression of Corso at all. I didn't understand him in the beginning, and understood him even less at the end, but I never disliked him. I guess that's true for me when it comes to Johnny...I can't seem to conjure up dislike for any of the characters he plays. :heart2:

:ohyes: That's what he said in the Extras that I couldn't remember.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:14 pm

Madly wrote:
Thanks - sorry - I can't see most of his movies - can't do violence - but am interested in his characters and plot lines...

Madly

:wave: Hi Madly. Welcome to ONBC. We'd love to have you join us for a book discussion sometime.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Madly

Unread postby Madly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Liz wrote:
Madly wrote:

Madly

:wave: Hi Madly. Welcome to ONBC. We'd love to have you join us for a book discussion sometime.

Oh Geeze, :-O
Now I'm really embarrased :blush: - I did not realize I was interupting a specific event - I am so sorry! :-? I did not understand what the subject line meant but now guess it was a preplanned discussion for those who read the book! Well obviously I haven't - Ooops!

Carry on! Yikes!

Madly

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:33 pm

Madly wrote:
Liz wrote:
Madly wrote:

Madly

Oh Geeze, :-O
Now I'm really embarrased :blush: - I did not realize I was interupting a specific event - I am so sorry! :-? I did not understand what the subject line meant but now guess it was a preplanned discussion for those who read the book! Well obviously I haven't - Ooops!

Carry on! Yikes!

Madly

No worries, Madly. It really is not clear from the topic what we are discussing. And the name of the book is different than the name of the movie, which makes it even more confusing.

There have actually been quite a few questions that we've been discussing that did not require one to have actually read the book. So pop in any time.

Madly

Unread postby Madly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks Liz! :blush: Much appreciated!

Madly

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Parlez wrote:

Now I'm going to have to dig the movie back out. But I thought he said that Corso was a "bad guy" in the beginning and that by the end of the movie you started to like him even though in the end he turned out to be more evil ..... or something like that. :-?
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 pm

shadowydog wrote:
Parlez wrote:

Now I'm going to have to dig the movie back out. But I thought he said that Corso was a "bad guy" in the beginning and that by the end of the movie you started to like him even though in the end he turned out to be more evil ..... or something like that. :-?

Let us know, Shadowydog. That is the way I felt about Dean.

Return to “The Club Dumas”