TCD Question #14 - 6 Degrees

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

suec

Re: TCD Question #14 - 6 Degrees

Unread postby suec » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:59 pm

I agree Endora about the rabbit and wolf thing.
I have found these so far. Some of them are a bit way out.

James Joyce p13
Van Gogh, Picasso p16
Madame Bovary p 21 (Think she was mentioned in The People’s Act of Love)
Dead Man’s Hand p36 (The People’s Act of Love)
Graham Greene p111 (Rochester biographer)
Humphrey Bogart p129 He always reminds me of Johnny since the comment about In a Lonely Place.
All mysteries are reduced to one quote p130 (It reminds me of The Source where Johnny is quoting from OTR. I haven’t checked though to check whether or not my memory is accurate – so, it may not be)
Abraham sacrifice painting & discussion p147 (reminiscent of The People’s Act of Love)
Hemingway mention p 186 – (as well as the Johnny connection, also mentioned in Fierce Invalids)
Hussars mention p 200 (The People’s Act of Love)
Blade Runner p210 (also mentioned in Fierce Invalids)
Dante’s Inferno (POTC & Shantaram, Good Omens))
Hamlet p229 – didn’t Johnny comment on playing him once or have I imagined that?
Conrad a couple of times, one being on p 252 (Chenault reads Heart of Darkness in The Rum Diary)
Ghost ships in the mist p 256 (reminds me of POTC)
April 1st - Rochester's birthday
Contrast of real life and fiction p298 (reminiscent of Rochester’s comment about real life and the theatre)
Gone With the Wind p331 (also mentioned in Good Omens)
Spanish Inquisition (also mentioned in Good Omens)

Loads of possible overlaps with Good Omens: the book shop, book collecting, free will, the fall of Satan, angels, demons, Death as a figure, the dog

For some reason, Bonaparte references remind me of The People’s Act of Love, but I have absolutely no idea why.

There are also some echoes of Dead Man for me but as it's so long since I last saw the film, I'm not sure about them.

Also, does Johnny own a Harley Davidson? If so, that's in there too.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Liz wrote:
Endora wrote:Off topic a bit, but the whole rabbit image that runs through it drove me nuts. I know what he was getting at (the wolf image too), but so forced.

I thought it tiresome too. But I could sure see Bugs in Jack Sparrow.

Me three. I thought the animal decriptions might have gotten lost in translation ~ like they mean something in Spanish that they don't mean in English. When I read 'wolf' , for example, in the way I think P-R was intending, I thought more of a 'fox'. Likewise, I couldn't really see Corso looking like a rabbit at all. But now I'm wondering if P-R knows his American cartoon characters. A rabbit like Bugs Bunny certainly seems to fit!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I thought the cartoon rabbit description of Corso was great when I read the book. I could really see it and the only Corso I have ever seen is Johnny and it clicked for me.

Suec, you really have a great memory. Makes me want to turn my mind in for a refund.
Good Omens popped into my head when I first read this question but my mind couldn't make sense of the connections.. too obvious.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:31 pm

Suec, I am in awe. I didn't catch half of those, and I was looking.

How about Fleur-de-lis….

Notice the necktie:

Translated it means: Flower-of-reads
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:50 am

Gemini, thanks, but my memory is pretty useless actually. I only made some connections because I had some of the information written down somewhere. Liz, there is no way that I'd have made the connection with the tie. The only thing I thought of there was Johnny's tattoos. I wouldn't mind betting there's a lot more yet.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:59 am

I think I picked up the Mont Blanc pens reference. I believe there is also a reference to Don Juan.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:33 am

suec wrote:IFor some reason, Bonaparte references remind me of The People’s Act of Love, but I have absolutely no idea why.

You may be right there, suec. But I think it's the situation, the Napoleonic army advancing and becoming cut off and the prospect of a disorderly retreat in a cold winter, same as the war setting of TPAOL. The military image theme that runs through.

Parlez, as you say, the rabbit/wolf image may have suffered in the translation.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:15 pm

GG, nice catch about Don Juan.

Thanks Endora for the feedback on Bonaparte. I have lent my copy of TPAOL to someone and not got it back so I couldn't check the reference. But probably, that's no bad thing.

I think with the rabbit and wolf references, that A R-P has a tendency to lay it on a bit too thickly with his characterisation, just stating points a little too often, for me. It's something I noticed with other books I've read by him. I still enjoy the books. It's just something that starts to grate after a while.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:03 am

Liz wrote:Suec, I am in awe. I didn't catch half of those, and I was looking.

How about Fleur-de-lis….

Notice the necktie:

The French verb to read : lire, conjugates in some fashion as lis as I recall, but in 'Fleur-de-lis' the word lis means lily. Of course, that has a lovely connotation for Johnny. :lilyrose:

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Parlez wrote:

How about Fleur-de-lis….

Notice the necktie:

The French verb to read : lire, conjugates in some fashion as lis as I recall, but in 'Fleur-de-lis' the word lis means lily. Of course, that has a lovely connotation for Johnny. :lilyrose:

Well, I thought that was what it was, which makes it even more of a Johnny connection (and probably why it was on his tie); but when I looked it up in the web translater just to be sure, I got "flower-of-the-reads". :dunce: I still find it interesting considering the story is about books.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Liz wrote:
Parlez wrote:

How about Fleur-de-lis….

Notice the necktie:

Well, I thought that was what it was, which makes it even more of a Johnny connection (and probably why it was on his tie); but when I looked it up in the web translater just to be sure, I got "flower-of-the-reads". :dunce: I still find it interesting considering the story is about books.

Aye ~ another example of how stuff taken from cyberspace can be unreliable (a la the whole Mercury-Joker discussion) even if it looks good. I guess the lesson is: ya can't always trust computer data; it doesn't necessarily know best! :lol:

savvy avi by mamabear

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 am

p 314 The Knight with the Yellow Doublet and our shimmering knight:

ETA:
Also Waterloo> song by Abba > Dancing Queen > P

This game is compulsive :-D

Return to “The Club Dumas”