TCD Question #10 - Chapter Titles

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Re: TCD Question #10 - Chapter Titles

Unread postby gemini » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Parlez wrote:
gemini wrote:
This mystery is considered insoluble for the very same reasons that should lead one to consider it soluble

I don't know if I am correct but I will go with my gut feeling. I remember there can be no wrong answers in ONBC, only opinions.
I think this means something like if you follow the rules you will succeed. Here the rules seem to be playing the game correctly. For Corso it is following the clues and using his literary knowledge to find the way. He knows there are no shortcuts and he must have every clue to succeed where others have failed.
In Poe's, The Murder In The Rue Morgue, the rules were in following all the correct leads to solve a mystery even though they seem to not be incorrect at the time you must persist to find the truth.
For Corso it is using all his past literacy knowledge to see the whole picture and the clues he finds finds in the 3 copies of the Nine Doors and the the Anjou wine. The fact that they seem unbeleivable at times seems only to lead him on.

If I'm following your logic correctly (and I'll be the first to put a big question mark there), the essence of Poe's statement is that there are no mysteries. If a mystery appears to be insoluble you just need more data, more information, more frames of reference, more anaylses, and more creative, out-of-the-box, thinking in order to solve it. So far so good. But I don't see how that worked for Corso. His never really hopped out of his brain box did he? He assumed he was following the rules, and he tried like heck to make all the data fit into his orderly, familiar (albeit convolutedly intertextual), literary world, but in the end it didn't work and he was left in a hopeless muddle.

Yes Parlez, you are following my logic correctly except where we find Corso at the end. I am afraid discussing the end may be getting ahead of our discussion but....
I think what we don't see the same is the end. You see him in a befuddled mess and I see him taking the step he was considering all along. He realized how everything fit and felt he had followed all the clues and was taking the final step. I know that most of us wouldn't think what he was doing was the right step but he did find everything he looked for and was even more thorough than his boss.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Agreed, gemini ~ I was going to say something like that; that after taking the side road down the Dumas road Corso recovered from his muddle and got back on track, making all the 'right' deductions that led him to his inevitable end. But I thought I'd be be getting too far ahead of the discussion if I added that bit. So I was speaking in terms of his clue-gathering vis a vis the Club Dumas.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, you girls are fine if you stop there. But let's save discussion of the ending for the end.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 pm

You are all so amazing with your knowledge and your insights!! :bounce: I think that is why after a discussion here at ONBC I always feel I should read the book once more. I learn so much it would be like reading a completely new book.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 pm

nebraska wrote:You are all so amazing with your knowledge and your insights!! :bounce: I think that is why after a discussion here at ONBC I always feel I should read the book once more. I learn so much it would be like reading a completely new book.

That is what I find so interesting about being involved in a book club as opposed to solitary reading. You can bounce your ideas off of others and also see the story in ways you hadn't thought of. Each individual has something different to contribute to the group--different knowledge, experience and/or viewpoints.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Real life and the job have kept me away from ONBC the past few days and I sure missed a lot! I am enjoying getting caught up on all your insightful and thought provoking answers. I love how everyone brings something to the discussion the rest of us hadn't considered. :applause2: gemini, you are absolutely correct when you say there are no wrong answers! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Club Dumas”