TCD Question #8 ~ Happy Endings

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TCD Question #8 ~ Happy Endings

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 am

More from Nikon...

pg. 211: Thoughts from Nikon as told by Corso,

“Of all the universal lies she accepted unquestioningly, the happy ending was the most absurd. The hero and heroine lived happily ever after, and the ending seemed indisputable, definitive. No question asked about how long love or happiness lasts in that ‘forever’ that can be divided into lifetimes, years, months. Even days. Until the very end, their inevitable end, Nikon refused to accept that” […something might happen to change that.]

How do you feel about happy endings?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Re: TCD Question #8 ~ Happy Endings

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 am

I like resolutions but not happy endnings all the time and sometimes they are often too contrived. But maybe that the difference in life and fiction, in life not everything ends with a happy ending.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:50 am

Poor Nikon! She really got herself hooked up with the wrong guy! If she only knew ahead of time how Corso felt about happy endings (a 'universal lie' and 'absurd'), she would've run in the opposite direction and never looked back. Funny how his cynicism and defeatist attitude come to light now, after the fact. And he makes it sound like she was the one with the problem. sheesh!

However, on another level, I think he's right; happy endings can take place in the course of a day. That exact scenario was beautifully described in Happy Days, with Antoine and Murielle. We think of happiness with another person as having to withstand the 'test of time' in order for it to be valid, but that's not necessarily true. It depends on your concept of time.

What Nikon wanted was for Corso to commit to their relationship in the same way he committed to his work. She assumed if he would do that they would live happily ever after. But that's sounds like a power play to me; her agenda vs his. No good! If they both could've compromised a little bit they might have had a shot. But, as we know, Corso isn't a compromising kind of guy.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:38 am

I guess I have to agree with Corso here. A happily ever after ending is just fine for a book, because it has to end somehow. But real life isn't like that and the problem came when Nikon expected the happily ever after to translate to reality. The only real ending in life is death, which isn't very happy for most folks. Until then, life is a mixture of joy and pain, ups and downs, and innumerable twists and turns. To me this passage suggests that Nikon lived in a black and white world and there were more shades of gray (and maybe a higher percentage of black :lol: ) in Corso's world.

I don't see Nikon as being put in the story to show us Corso's flaws, necessarily, although she does show us a good deal about his character. He definitely had deep feelings for her and had regrets that their relationship could not work. They had some very fundamental differences in viewpoints and values.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Maybe they should be called happy beginnings or happy todays. I’ve seen too many unhappy endings, I guess. But I still hold out hope, because even an unhappy ending can bring about a happy new beginning.

nebraska wrote:I don't see Nikon as being put in the story to show us Corso's flaws.....

Hold your thoughts here. We’ll be getting into this question in a couple of days.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:18 pm

nebraska wrote:I guess I have to agree with Corso here. A happily ever after ending is just fine for a book, because it has to end somehow. But real life isn't like that and the problem came when Nikon expected the happily ever after to translate to reality.

Likewise. Happy endings are all very fine for fairy stories, that is, morality stories aimed at the young, but they have few counterpoints in real life. Realistically, why should they? Nikon seems very naive to think the way she does. In children this would be seen as an innocence, charming in its way. But an adult behaving so is no longer charming. (A quick lateral thinking slide into Willian Blake and Songs of Innocence and Experience here) It seems either contrived or foolish to be as Nikon is. Corso is so much more the pragmatist, the grown up in the relationship.

Parlez, the way the quote above is written, Nikon "refusing to believe" makes me think that she is the one who would not compromise, not Corso.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm

I agree, Endora ~ Nikon was very stubborn, holding onto her romantic notion of how a happy ending could/should be achieved. But Corso never budged an inch either; he likewise refused to open his mind to the possibility that her point of view might have some merit. I believe that's why he keeps going over their relationship and the things she said...in an effort to convince himself he was right, but possibly not being so sure. There's a feeling of melancholy I get from Corso here ~ as if Nikon represented a part of himself he'd been denying, or a way of looking at life that he secretly found attractive. Nikon was many things (from the little we know about her) but she was not jaded. People who are (jaded) often find those who aren't (who still have some purity, or innocence) both intolerable and magnetic at the same time. I guess in that regard there can be no compromising.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:51 pm

I believe in happy endings.

Now are you talking in the real world or the one in our heads?

Happy endings, in the sense of actual happy lives, lived in good health, no major money worries, loving mate, good kids...yes, I think a lot of people do have happy endings.

Unfortunately the rest do not. Through fate or fortune or whatever, they live lives of hunger, cold, ignorance, pain, lonliness or just deperation. So they must be given a happy ending...in a story, oral or written, a movie, a play something...because the story is meant to make them feel good about themselves. In general I find relatively happy people are bravest about exploring the darker side of things, or talk about unhappy endings. For me it is difficult to even think of sadness...I am not sure I would go looking for it in a book. Yes, I want, I demand !! a happy ending....
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 pm

For those of you looking to get into Nikon in some more deppth...check out tomorrow's question. :grin:

Happy endings? I like to see them in movies, in books in my head. Real life? I think there can be happy endings to chapters in our lives and although we don't live forever I hope to look back with a sense of happiness when I examine my life. Is this a glass half full/half empty type of observation?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 am

I pretty much agree with Corso. In real life, there are happy times and sad times, although it varies from person to person - I don't think happiness is something that all have equally. But I agree with the way he questions happy endings in the make-believe world. Especially in movies and rom-coms in particular. I was always puzzled by the notion of the settling with someone being they all lived happily ever after. Then again, those maybes that he gloomily speculates about maybe don't happen after all. It seems to me that perhaps there isn't so very much difference between reading books and watching movies, in the sense of possibly allowing ourselves to be influenced by them too much, in our perceptions of real life. A lot of the readers in this book do that, and perhaps Nikon does too?
I tried to steer clear of commenting on her, but this aspect was tied in very closely to this question for me.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Well I have to admit I like happy endings, I read too many romance novels not to. GG said:
But maybe thats the difference in life and fiction, in life not everything ends with a happy ending.

This is so true and why escaping to fiction is so appealing. If I don't care one way or the other about the ending , I read non fiction where the ending can go either way. This is why the mood you are in sometimes chooses what you will read next. Its keeping a little balance.

As for Nikon and Corso, In this instance I agree with them both. I, like her, want the happy ending but like him, suspect all the awful things that will come after the happily ever after. My positive attitude only lets me hope for a bit of balance
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “The Club Dumas”