TCD Question #7 ~ Films vs. books

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Re: TCD Question #7 ~ Films vs. books

Unread postby Endora » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:23 pm

(Starting late to this discusion so what I have to say may overlap with earlier questions which I'll aim to get back to, sorry.)

If you are only interested in any one thing you will tend to be solitary, won't you? What she said here to Corso made me think that he, to her, seemed to be too introverted, not interested enough in her. I think she was jealous of his love for books, and didn't realise that this introversion (or shyness, or something on the edge of Asberger's) was what made him him.

Radwen, I agree with you about her function in the plot. She gives his character depth by showing up his flaws. A flawedcharacter is so much more believable, isn't it. We are more likely to love them. And the author wants us to love Corso, I think, from the start, so we can like him less at the end.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Endora wrote: I think she was jealous of his love for books, and didn't realise that this introversion (or shyness, or something on the edge of Asberger's) was what made him him.

What a great observation! And what made Nikon herself was what attracted Corso to her as well. Pass the aspirin, please!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 pm

Nikon...tomorrow...I promise! :shhh: :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:00 pm

In a way I agree with her -- reading is truly a solitary experience. You are just looking a squiggly lines, and have to decipher their meaning, and construct the visual images, sounds, smells and tastes through your own experience. And everybody's experience and knowledge are different, so your mental images of the action and characters are different.

That's why teachers work so hard to give context to students in literature class, and try to build vocabulary, and do pre-reading, and guiding questions -- so they can help students construct meaning.

It is much easier when the visuals and sounds are presented in movies and TV. You still have different life experiences brought to bear on the interpretation of the story, but everybody has a common understanding of the setting and texture of the story. You have shared the story in a different, more complete way than you do when you have read a book.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 pm

stroch, maybe that is why many people are disappointed in a film when they have first read the book. The film is generally someone's, or a few someones, interpretation of a book which can be wildly different from that of the reader.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:00 pm

That is a good point, DITHOT, and something I had never considered. :ohyes:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Liz wrote:That is a good point, DITHOT, and something I had never considered. :ohyes:

Me. either! But it sure makes a lot of sense.

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 am

Liz wrote:I tend to agree with Parlez and suec that Nikon's statement is a loaded one and is over-simplified. She is focusing on his books because she may blame his profession for all the things wrong in their relationship.

I think that both reading and film can be solitary…..or not. It depends on the extent to which they rule one’s life. One could say the same for TV, computers and video games.

Definitely agree. And remember this is Corso recollection of the conversation. We tend to remember things the way we want to. Most women would see immediately through her words to the real complaint. Not enough attention on her. Which was probably valid. But some men need more distance. At least he cared deeply for a woman in his life. It seems difficult for him to get her out of his mind. So we can assume Corso in the book is capable of loving, or caring for a woman...something not so evident in the movie.

I was very interested in the NIkon character, as I have attempted to come up with a female counterpart for Corso in my fanfics...he seemed much more willing to admit to love in the book than his character seemed in the movie...not sure that makes sense !!
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:17 am

Kittycat88 wrote:
Liz wrote:I tend to agree with Parlez and suec that Nikon's statement is a loaded one and is over-simplified. She is focusing on his books because she may blame his profession for all the things wrong in their relationship.

I think that both reading and film can be solitary…..or not. It depends on the extent to which they rule one’s life. One could say the same for TV, computers and video games.

Definitely agree. And remember this is Corso recollection of the conversation. We tend to remember things the way we want to. Most women would see immediately through her words to the real complaint. Not enough attention on her. Which was probably valid. But some men need more distance. At least he cared deeply for a woman in his life. It seems difficult for him to get her out of his mind. So we can assume Corso in the book is capable of loving, or caring for a woman...something not so evident in the movie.

I was very interested in the NIkon character, as I have attempted to come up with a female counterpart for Corso in my fanfics...he seemed much more willing to admit to love in the book than his character seemed in the movie...not sure that makes sense !!

I can't help wondering how different the film version of the story would've been if Nikon's character has been included in flashbacks. I don't know why she was left out, though it's not my place to judge Polanski's vision (and probably jumping the gun, discussion-wise, to bring it up here - sorry!). Still, I have to say that, in the book, Corso's reflections on his time and conversations with Nikon explained a lot about him and the choices he made down the road.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Parlez wrote:
Kittycat88 wrote:

I can't help wondering how different the film version of the story would've been if Nikon's character has been included in flashbacks. I don't know why she was left out, though it's not my place to judge Polanski's vision (and probably jumping the gun, discussion-wise, to bring it up here - sorry!). Still, I have to say that, in the book, Corso's reflections on his time and conversations with Nikon explained a lot about him and the choices he made down the road.

I actually feel like she could have been left out of the story. In my mind, she was unnecessary to the basic plot or its intertexuality. However, Nikon's appearances in the story were some of my favortite parts. :eyebrow:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:30 pm

You may be right, Liz ~ Nikon's presence in the book is a little superfluous. She didn't add much to the plot. But what she did add, I think, was a backstory that gave the reader a more well-rounded idea of Corso. His reminiscences of their affair made him seem more vulnerable, more human. Flawed, but in a sympathic way. The fact that someone like Nikon - so seemingly willing and genuine and real - could fall in love with Corso shows that he wasn't just the one-dimensional, hopelessly corrupt book mercenary Balkan described, although she ended up agreeing with that assessment. But at some point in the past, Corso was able to attract another kind of woman, before the weirdly cryptic, emotionally sequestered, morally questionable Girl showed up. It would've been nice to see that in the film version me thinks.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “The Club Dumas”