TCD Question #4 - Paper

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TCD Question #4 - Paper

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:09 pm

I promise we will get into the story eventually.....From Pg. 119: “That’s right. Cellulose paper turns yellow and brittle as a wafer and cracks irreparably. It ages and dies…..” What is the extent of your use of paper in your life? Do you have paper preferences?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: TCD Question #4 - Paper

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 pm

I'm not sure there is too much choice is there these days.

I must admit that older books sometimes have that lovely thin paper, almost transparent. Paper in books though these days is just horrible in most of them.

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:34 pm

I loved this question, since I've been busy printing on the back of used paper. I definitely prefer the regular quality paper for everyday printing, even if I need to print charts in color. I can't see the point of using the more expensive stuff for something that's going to be recycled or printed on the reverse. ( I print a lot of draft documents). And I do like the recycled yellow note pads.

For photos, the good photo paper only if it's to keep. If it's just to show someone something from email, I use the regular stuff.

For books, I must admit to liking the lightweight paper that the book clubs use, especially if the book is long and I'm going to be carrying it around.

It's great to have questions that are relevant without reading the book!!!

Kate
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:36 pm

GG, I wasn’t speaking so much of paper in books, although I love the paper used in publishing The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. The edges are rather ragged. I’m asking more about how you use paper in your life and what your preferences are.

Paper makes me crazy but I couldn’t live without it. It makes me crazy because I have too much of it—too much coming through the mail and too much to file. But that is an aside. I don’t think I ever thought much about how important paper is to me until I asked this question. I have tons of different types. First, there is my printer paper--everyday inkjet, glossy photo, satin photo, 2 sizes of matt for making greeting cards, label paper. Then there are sticky notes and all the different papers I use in scrapbooking. In the past, drawing paper was very important to me. I can’t remember specifically what my preference was there, but I had one. I am very picky about the kind of paper I use depending on what I am using it for.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Kate_with_a_K wrote:I loved this question, since I've been busy printing on the back of used paper. I definitely prefer the regular quality paper for everyday printing, even if I need to print charts in color. I can't see the point of using the more expensive stuff for something that's going to be recycled or printed on the reverse. ( I print a lot of draft documents). And I do like the recycled yellow note pads.

For photos, the good photo paper only if it's to keep. If it's just to show someone something from email, I use the regular stuff.

For books, I must admit to liking the lightweight paper that the book clubs use, especially if the book is long and I'm going to be carrying it around.

It's great to have questions that are relevant without reading the book!!!

Kate

I wish I could remember to use scrap paper for unimportant printing. I use way too much paper. And it gets very expensive. Kate, I'm glad you are enjoying these questions. It is unusual to have this many general ones. It seems this book has inspired them.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:48 pm

Actually I don't use much paper in my life these days. I do use lined notebooks for my family history notes, and photopaper to pring pictures but other than that I've stopped using it really. Too reliant on the computer :-/

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Well, I am a paper junkie. There, I've said it and I feel better for it! :capnjack:
I do artwork - painting and drawring - so I have some familiarity with various types of paper found at the art supply store. Oh my, there's nothing like handling a beautiful sheet of delicate rice paper or textured papyrus, or a heavy cold press watercolor paper.
I used to be a great letter-writer too, and I loved spending hours at the stationers looking at, feeling and smelling the paper. Obsolete these days I'm sorry to say. :-/
As far as books go, the small (aka 'art house') presses still use high quality paper. They put a lot of attention on what paper goes into printing art and poetry books, and the Japanese are (still) the masters in the world of paper. You pay for it, of course, but it's worth it.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I'm not sure there is too much choice is there these days.

I must admit that older books sometimes have that lovely thin paper, almost transparent. Paper in books though these days is just horrible in most of them.

I agree and the older the book the sweeter the smell. MMMMMM
A few months ago I bought an electronic reader.(Because I have so many books)
I have about 14 book stored in the reader (saves a lot of space) but I must admit that reading from the electronic reader is very strange and 'cold'.
I do not know how to put it in words but I find it very difficult to get carried away (is that the right expression?) when I read a book on the electronic reader. You don't feel the book, you don't smell the pages and you turn the pages by moving a switch.
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Hmm, so many lovely kinds to choose from--all textures of sketching paper, parchment for calligraphy, printmaking papers. Years ago, I got this wonderful handmade paper w/deckle edges in Williamsburg, VA--perfect for my pen & ink sketch of the historic governor's home. Speaking of handmade paper, I've tried that & it's a sloppy business! :lol: Fun though, when you start adding extras like flower petals, bits of colorful yarn or confetti, etc.

I'm also another one of those who loves the smell of a library or bookstore. Technology just can't beat the experience of turning the pages for yourself!
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 pm

I can't stand the stuff. That is because I am overwhelmed by it. At work I stand by the bin to open my post and a good 2/3 goes straight there. But I still have a mountain, it seems, to file, let alone react to it in other ways. I try a divide and conquer strategy. Loose papers are often put in folders. Mostly, I place it in a tray to categorise it if it isn't urgent or important and a long time later - some would say a very long time later - it gets binned. We don't recycle at work and that makes me bad-tempered.
At home it's the same story. These days, I can't just throw it away. Envelopes get binned immediately. A lot of papers - bills, receipts - lie around until I eventually shred them. The one thing I do then that gives me some satisfaction is put them on the compost heap. And then there is the other recycling. Papers are collected fortnightly by my local council. Until then, the free newspapes and junk mail that are shoved through my letter box are placed in a box until the date for collection.
When I choose to use paper myself, it is usually for printing so I always have a good supply of that. I agree with you IngridN about reading electronically. Anything of any length I print off. This of course adds to my paper problem. I'm just not tidy with it, so this part of my problem is self-inflicted. I tend not to use loose paper for witing. Instead, I use notebooks - another way of trying to reduce the mountain. I can be a sucker for a pretty notebook, and especially ones with dividers in. I rely on colours a lot. A pink book for this, a blue one for that. And I love post-its.
Where paper does bring me joy is with cards. And then of course, it's card that's the stuff. I love really nice quality Christmas and birthday cards. And of course, I love books and that includes the paper.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Well I started feeling guilty the minute I read this question. I use a lot of paper. I don't draw like you, Parlez, but I guess I am also a paper junkie. The shelves of books I have for my own use makes me think I need to start re circulating them. I have a lot of genealogy records, notebooks full. I feel guilty but after a couple of computer crashes and one server crash without a backup on one of my websites, I got paranoid and made copies of things I don't want to loose again. I do try to keep things on disks but still have a lot of paper. Since my memory is for the birds I am even worse about taking notes and collecting things I don't want to loose. I also used to be a photo nut and have a huge photo collection and I always make photo copies of receipts, bank account, titles, any important papers. I do try to reuse scrap paper for writing notes on the back that are temporary. . My only redeeming trait is that when I finally can part with something I recycle all the paper.
Ingrid N mentioned an electronic reader. I have tried reading online, downloading books etc and I do it a lot but it is just not the same as taking a book to bed with me every night. :noodlemantra:
Last edited by gemini on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:29 pm

I think the increased use of computers for correspondence has reduced the amount of paper in our world, especially for personal correspondence such as letters. I am not terribly creative when it comes to art projects so I can’t say I know much about nice paper. I do still appreciate nice note cards though. At work we are doing as much electronically as possible to cut back on our paper consumption and we are starting a recyclying program. suec, I can relate to your mail problem! After I picked up my mail that had been held while on vacation about 90% of it was junk! One good piece of advice that I received once was to only handle a paper once. In other words deal with it at the time, don’t put it in a pile to go over later. Read it, file it, toss it but do it the first time you pick it up. Not that I follow said advice regularly! :blush:

A note on the quality of paper now as opposed to in the past…My aunt has some old land grant documents signed by President James Buchanan. They are still in excellent condition even though they have only been folded and kept in a shoebox, not professionally preserved in any way. Although they are slightly faded, they are not brittle at all.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Oh, dear! I have enough paper to last me the rest of my life and I am still drawn to it like a moth to a flame!!!! LOVE the stuff. School supplies are out in the stores now and I have to avoid that part of the store. I am a sucker for composition books, especially since they make such pretty covers now - I already have 3 or 4 unused ones and I just don't NEED to buy more. But I am always tempted. I am a rubber stamper/card maker and I have drawers and boxes full of card stock and background papers - and I still look at new colors, new patterns and sometimes I buy even though I can't possibly live long enough to use up all that I already have. Today I brought two used envelopes home from work (I opened the mail today) because I liked the security lining and thought that side of the envelope would be right to use in a card making project I need to complete - but I already have a shoebox full of envelopes with pretty security lining. If my husband would build an addition to our house I could accumulate more paper and I would be thrilled.

I use my shredded paper for mulch. I don't have a compost pile as such but I use my paper shreddings around plants and trees to help control weeds and hold moisture. When I was breeding goats, I would use the shredded paper for bedding in the pens where the new babies were born. :cloud9:

I print out a lot of stuff from the internet, like the tidbits here at ONBC. There is nothing like the feeling of real paper pages under your fingertips while you are curled up in a recliner reading! I am surrounded by paper.......and I won't even discuss the amount of photos I have in storage tubs! The digital camera age has been a real blessing for me as I at least am not compelled to print out all my photographs (I take hundreds).

Mr nebraska's shoulder surgeon has a paperless practice and it is wonderful to see his doctor walk over to the computer and be able to see reports/xrays/photos etc with the click of a few buttons. But I don't know that I am ready to go that far in my personal life yet.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Nebraska, you bred goats?! Off topic, but how interesting!

I work in an office that's supposed to be paperless, and it's absolutely amazing how much of the stuff we have around

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Well I see I have come company here in my love/hate relationship with paper.

I just can't get into reading anything lengthy online. I need to print it out--which means a lot of paper recycled every month. I can handle reading a lengthy article online if it is broken up by lots of photos. I don't know if it's that my eyes get tired or if I just have undiagnosed ADHD.
:blush:

Return to “The Club Dumas”