TCD Question #2 - Do Books Have Their Own Identities?

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: TCD Question #2 - Do Books Have Their Own Identities?

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:42 am

teacher wrote:But as far as the original question went, it seemed to imply that every printed book, fresh out of print, has a separate indentity. Well, it's kind of like people - it may have a separate destiny, but an identity requires some experience.

I think that is very good :cool:

When I throw books out they go on to another life as I always give to charity, I never think about what happens after that, but hopefully some other person will get to enjoy them as I once did or didn't as the case my be.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Kittycat88 wrote:Suec...how funny that you mention Sherlock Holmes, I also have the illustrated version from the Strand...I bought it in the SH museum on Baker Street. I love it. I was in love with Sherlock for a loooong time !!

Kittycat, I can see why that might be - he's quite a guy. And the stories are a good read too.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:58 pm

nebraska wrote:I write notes in the margins and highlight and underline in my ONBC books. Like textbooks, they are consumables to be used to prepare me for and assist me in the discussions. I keep them boxed in the attic, along with hard copies of the tidbits. One never knows when another anniversary contest might happen. :lol: The ONBC books are an "experience" and as such I want to savor and preserve them.

Nebraska, you’ve touched my heart. :heart2:

Kittycat88 wrote:I wasn't sure how to answer this, had to read how the others did...

Kittycat, my questions can be rather ambiguous, at times. :capnjack:

Suec, how interesting that you would find that store. Do you think it just happened by chance?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:I write notes in the margins and highlight and underline in my ONBC books. Like textbooks, they are consumables to be used to prepare me for and assist me in the discussions. I keep them boxed in the attic, along with hard copies of the tidbits. One never knows when another anniversary contest might happen. :lol: The ONBC books are an "experience" and as such I want to savor and preserve them.

Nebraska, you’ve touched my heart. :heart2:

Kittycat88 wrote:I wasn't sure how to answer this, had to read how the others did...

Kittycat, my questions can be rather ambiguous, at times. :capnjack:

Suec, how interesting that you would find that store. Do you think it just happened by chance?

:lol: I did kind of duck that part of question #1, about real life. :grin: I did find the shop interesting in that sense - as a sign, and not just a commercial one. I thought it very odd that it should be the only other retail outlet in the place apart from a village store. I think pretty much like that Ceniza brother: when the opportunity presented itself... actually, I think that is a quote from the film rather than the book, which is much clearer in my memory than the book at times. :blush: I would claim that I don't actively look for meaning in life, or logic. But I am content to see it often enough. I think the human brain works that way. We make sense of things better when we can make connections, relate things to what we already know or have experienced, see patterns. I've probably passed any number of antique bookshops and not thought twice about them. But because I'd read about book collecting and TCD, I was inclined to take a look and try to remember some of the terms. BTW I asked about a bent chisel; the guy had never heard of one but did say it might mean something to a book binder.
Well, I think I've probably contradicted myself enough for one post so I'll stop now.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:00 pm

suec wrote: Well, I think I've probably contradicted myself enough for one post so I'll stop now.

You just make me feel at home. I am a very contradictory person. Thanks for asking about the bent chisel. I appreciate that immensely. Too bad that he didn’t know.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 am

That is a great story, suec! And a good example of how consciousness raising works; your awareness of the world of antiquarian books was heightened by having your consciousness raised right here on ONBC - good job, mods!! - so you decided not to pass by the bookshop this time when it presented itself to you, whereas you had passed by similar bookshops many times in the past without interest. This time you had some familiarity with said books, and some handy terminology to run by the bookshop owner, making the experience much richer all the way around.

Your story reminds me of the old saying: When the student is ready the teacher will appear. Only in this case, it would be: When the consciousness is ready the experience will appear. :thumbsup:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I guess I don't have the same feeling for books as everyone else, I'm always getting rid of them :lol:
I'm with you there, GG. I suppose it may be because my parents were both librarians, and grew up learning that books were meant to be read and then returned to the library. (Doesn't really explain why I have so many of the around the house, though.) There are many books I love, but it's for their content. Yes, I have the complete Sherlock Holmes, and the complete LOTR, and the Narnia books, but if my house were on fire, I wouldn't hesitate to leave them all.

Lizbet, one of the books I love is Brideshead Revisited. Such a coincidence that you mentioned it; I read part of it on the sly on Tuesday (my daughter's copy, while I was supposed to be doing something else) and sighed, "I love this book," as I returned it to her.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 pm

Will you be seeing the new movie of Brideshead Revisited, fansmom and lizbet? Emma Thompson is in it; it looks good!
I liked your comment, fansmom, about the fire - it made me consider what, if any, books I'd carry out of a burning house. The only one for sure would be my family genealogy, which I keep in a fireproof safe. Then I suppose if there was time I'd grab my Dad's leather-bound dictionary...but other than that, I can't think of any others I'd try to save.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 am

Parlez wrote:Will you be seeing the new movie of Brideshead Revisited, fansmom and lizbet? Emma Thompson is in it; it looks good!
I'm conflicted, Parlez. The reviews I've read say the new movie is not for purists and not for those who loved the 1980's series--which includes me on both points. I don't want to sit in a theater and mumble "That's not right!" to myself.

Return to “The Club Dumas”