TCD Tidbit #20 ~ The Tidbit That Wasn't

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TCD Tidbit #20 ~ The Tidbit That Wasn't

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 am

I initially agreed to do a tidbit on “the history of pacts with the devil”. But after dabbling in it and not getting very far in verifying any of the claims on any of the websites I found, I decided to wimp out. I scare to easy. :fear: Make fun of me if you will, but this entire subject matter, even though I agreed to take it on, is now giving me the mega creeps. :freaked: (After I saw the Exorcist while in college, I couldn’t sleep without a light for months.) So I will take the easy way out here and give you some links that I found. And you can decide what you want to dabble in and/or believe. Good luck with that.
:hills:

http://www.fortea.us/english/teologicos/pacto.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/amethystbt/burningtimessoldsouls.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_with_the_Devil

http://www.answers.com/topic/pact-with-the-devil
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:13 pm

So I take it you don't watch Reaper on Tuesday evenings?

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:19 pm

A non-tidbit. Hopefully it won't be a non-topic for discussion as well. (?) The subject is pretty relevant to the book, me thinks. In the catagory of 'the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know', I found the links very interesting reading.
Thanks! :cool:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, I guess reading the links Liz provided and reading TCD was not very different. Am I to understand that we should not touch on the book discussion as yet and just voice our opinion on the subject of a pact with the devil?

Certainly there have been a lot of people killed over the ages for being accused of witchcraft, and devil worship, and just plain heresy as we read about in earlier tidbits and just reading about it was enough to scare Liz off. I am just not sure who to be more afraid of, the accused or those punishing them.

Fansmom. I have watched the Reaper a few times but it doesn't do it for me. I do however like Supenatural which is also about demons and devil worshipers but has two good looking brothers fighting them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:02 pm

No worries, Parlez. I'll be able to discuss it as it is relevant to the book and I encrouage discussion on said subject. I just got the willies when I started researching it. The book is fiction, but researching just got too real for me. I should have given that one to DITHOT, but I didn't expect to react this way. :blush: But she's been computerless over the past week as she as been on vacation.

Fansmom, I've never heard of Reaper. Sounds pretty grim.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 pm

gemini wrote:Well, I guess reading the links Liz provided and reading TCD was not very different. Am I to understand that we should not touch on the book discussion as yet and just voice our opinion on the subject of a pact with the devil?

Certainly there have been a lot of people killed over the ages for being accused of witchcraft, and devil worship, and just plain heresy as we read about in earlier tidbits and just reading about it was enough to scare Liz off. I am just not sure who to be more afraid of, the accused or those punishing them.

Fansmom. I have watched the Reaper a few times but it doesn't do it for me. I do however like Supenatural which is also about demons and devil worshipers but has two good looking brothers fighting them.

I would avoid discussion on the book at this point, Gemini. Keep it to the pacts with the devil in general. :lol: I don't know why I am a chicken about this. The book didn't scare me at all. Nor did the movie.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Well, some would say anything having to do with the devil is fiction. Which is not to say that the subject isn't capable of scaring the pants off us! I reacted the same way you did, Liz, to reading The Exorcist. And Rosemary's Baby? Forget about it! :freaked:
Corso's name has come up throughout the discussion regarding the question: Has Johnny Ever Played an Evil Character (or something like that) on the Porch. For those who are interested it might be worth a gander over there to read what others have to say about our devilish book sleuth.

I think Reaper is pretty funny. I love the guy who plays the devil...what a smile! I'll have to check out Supernatural too. Good looking heroes are always a plus! ;-)

savvy avi by mamabear

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Very interesting and Liz, I'm goig to agree with you on this one. This sort of thing freaks me out. Horror movies and suchlike are too scary for me, so I've never seen The Exorcist and you couldn't pay me to. I have seen Rosemary's Baby - but in different sections a bit at a time to reduce the effect. And one time I read a book about a sucubus/incubus, the memory of which has stayed with me way too long. :hills: I'm not too sure why, because I pretty much don't believe in the supernatural. But I don't like exposing myself to these things really. I mean to the concept of evil, whether supernatural or entirely manmade. And I think it's what it comes down to in the end - the manmade evil.. That one article makes it clear that the Devil won't appear or anything. It is down to the individual to write the contract and sign it.

I didn't realise those accused of witchcraft were also sometimes accused of treason too. I suppose it makes sense if the monarch is believed to have been apointed by God. A pretty nifty powerful move by those in control at the time.

Well, I won't be around for a bit as I'm off on holiday. I'll look forward to catching up when I get back. Things have been a bit disjointed for me lately. I still haven't read the book again. I'll take it with me and hope to get stuck in with it.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Save it for me, eh? :eyebrow: Now what exactly does that say about me? :lol: :mwahaha:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:34 pm

My opinion only, I do not believe in the devil. Not sure I believe in evil as an entity.

I believe people who are cruel in their actions are often thought to be evil.

I will enjoy discussing as a theme of the the book. Almost 2/3 through and very much enjoying it !!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Welcome back, DitHoT! We've been waiting for you... :mwahaha:

I think regardless of whether one believes in the devil, or in evil, or in the Dark Side, or the Crossroads, or whatever, there's still plenty to grab the imagination. The possiblity of those things existing is so captivating, so compelling. To such a degree that apparently the Church Fathers of the Middle Ages decided they better put doctrine in place to combat the reality of such threats (to itself). The fact that said doctrine also provided a convenient excuse to further the Church Fathers' less savory (some would say diabolical) aims is, of course, beyond dispute. :mad:

savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Parlez wrote:Welcome back, DitHoT! We've been waiting for you... :mwahaha:

I think regardless of whether one believes in the devil, or in evil, or in the Dark Side, or the Crossroads, or whatever, there's still plenty to grab the imagination. The possiblity of those things existing is so captivating, so compelling. To such a degree that apparently the Church Fathers of the Middle Ages decided they better put doctrine in place to combat the reality of such threats (to itself). The fact that said doctrine also provided a convenient excuse to further the Church Fathers' less savory (some would say diabolical) aims is, of course, beyond dispute. :mad:

:fear: Don't get too carried away here youse guys... :gangster: I have a pretty good feeling that discussion of said evil, real or not, will come up here shortly. ;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 am

Parlez wrote:Well, some would say anything having to do with the devil is fiction. Which is not to say that the subject isn't capable of scaring the pants off us! I reacted the same way you did, Liz, to reading The Exorcist. And Rosemary's Baby? Forget about it! :freaked:
Corso's name has come up throughout the discussion regarding the question: Has Johnny Ever Played an Evil Character (or something like that) on the Porch. For those who are interested it might be worth a gander over there to read what others have to say about our devilish book sleuth.

For some reason, Rosemary's Baby didn't bother me. That makes 2 Polanski films about the devil that didn't bother me. I really liked that movie. :cool:

Parlez, I checked out the Porch discussion on Johnny's evil roles and found it quite interesting. But I will refrain from commenting as it will invariably get us into a discussion about Corso here. And we aren’t ready for that quite yet.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:55 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Save it for me, eh? :eyebrow: Now what exactly does that say about me? :lol: :mwahaha:

DITHOT, you are just more courageous than I.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:55 am

:biglaugh:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Club Dumas”