TCD Tidbit #16 ~ Irene Adler

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:25 am

It's quite usual, (if a little intimidating to me anyway :lol:), for this genre to depict superhuman characters with exaggerated physical attributes in terms of masculinity - feminity, but this comic book series, though, is particularly notable for portraying women as powerful and important, rather than just love interests, the name of the series notwithstanding. I think I have to applaud it also for depicting older women as powerful and important too. It has quite a record, I think, of trying to move with the times and reflect the changing political landscape of how different groups in society are represented.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:42 pm

suec wrote: It has quite a record, I think, of trying to move with the times and reflect the changing political landscape of how different groups in society are represented.

As I indicated earlier, I don't know much about the genre, but I would say that the nature of the relationship between Destiny and Mystique in itself exemplifies what you are saying here.

I can tell already that it is going to be fun to discuss Irene Adler (in TCD) when we finally get there. :waiting:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Aye, bring on the real deal - or Perez-Reverte's version of her!

I'm sure there are many theses and doctoral papers on file (gathering dust no doubt) written by Feminist Theory scholars on the merits, or lack thereof, of the depiction of women in the comic book genre. So I'll let that argument go (since it had nothing whatsoever to do with me anyway) and say: Huzzar to powerful mature women wherever they show up! :thumbsup:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “The Club Dumas”