TCD Tidbit #8 ~ The Battle of Waterloo

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:20 pm

I had always thought that Napoleon was a huge figure in European history. His territorial conquests surely struck fear in people's hearts-- at least they did in novels. Maybe I have a parochial former-French-colony outlook, though -- we still have streets named for many of his victories.

Didn't the military tactics and weapons used cause more deaths even among the civilian population?

I do read the battle accounts, and wonder how, how can it be that men still wage war on one another?
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Well, if you're the commander sitting in your headquarters, setting up battles like a board game, moving the 'pieces' here and there, without any regard for the fact that each piece is a human being, then it's all fun strategy and military gamesmanship. In today's world it's done with ultra-sophisticated computers, programmed by Pentagon strategist-geeks for whom it's all one big cybergame. They're even farther removed from the reality of violence and human casualties on the ground. :mad:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:33 pm

stroch wrote:I had always thought that Napoleon was a huge figure in European history. His territorial conquests surely struck fear in people's hearts-- at least they did in novels. Maybe I have a parochial former-French-colony outlook, though -- we still have streets named for many of his victories.

Didn't the military tactics and weapons used cause more deaths even among the civilian population?

I do read the battle accounts, and wonder how, how can it be that men still wage war on one another?

Not sure about the civilian population, not sure how they were involved in the sort of warfare that took place at that time. Decided to look it up and found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleonic_Wars_casualties :-/

Return to “The Club Dumas”