A Reader's Guide to The Three Musketeers

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

lizbet

Re: A Reader's Guide to The Three Musketeers

Unread postby lizbet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:12 am

Good evening / morning ladies - for those of you in Canada or who have access to Canadian television - The Three Musketeers (Michael York version) will be on Saturday August 16th on Saturday Night at the Movies on TVO - viewers are usually rewarded with any number of interviews afterwards - I just got a glimpse of a program notice while channel surfing - can't get information on TVO website to verify as they are only posting a week in advance - if I'm right the timing is perfect! :hope:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 pm

lizbet, thanks for the info! :cool: Maybe that means it's coming around to other stations as well? We'll have to keep a sharp eye.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:13 am

After taking a break to catch up on the Club Dumas tidbits, I resumed reading the Three Musketeers. After my last comments, midway through the book, about the plot being slow going, I was amazed to find the pace rapidly picking up. d'Artagnan becomes involved with milady and we finally get to see what a dangerous female she is. Even though d'Artagnan knows she is untrustworthy and wicked, he finds himself drawn to her and at times even fancies himself in love with her - gathering his wits at the last moment before he totally gives in to her charms. When he spots the brand on her shoulder, she turns into a wild animal with rage that her secret has been discovered, attempting to stab him. Although d'Artagnan escapes her immediate wrath, she hires men to go after him and in the midst of battle, he must also evade milady's hired killers. And all the while, the language continues to be lyrical and lovely.

I am now up to the Anjou Wine chapter.

I cannot say reading this book helps me understand the corresponding characters in the Club Dumas much better - the author does a pretty good job telling us what one might expect from a Rochefort character, for instance. But what I am gaining from this book, aside from the pure fun of reading it :grin: , is a sense of what type of people might be so consumed with the Musketeers that they would be part of the Club. I have not yet been able to put my finger on what that is exactly, it is more of a feeling than a clear thought, but only certain types of people would become completely obsessed with this book.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for your report, nebraska! Your comments about what kind of people might become obsessed with playing a 3M game, a la the Club Dumas, made me wonder if part of the appeal would come from the fact that Dumas wrote in a serial format? Hence the action was happening over time and the characters were allowed to show different sides of their personalities accordingly - over time. Today we read Dumas's serials in bound volumes, wherein all the chapters can be read in one go. But initially they was intended to be read seperately, with a gap inbetween. That would create suspense, I think, and the reader would eagerly await the next installment.
T3M reminds me of the POTC films actually - with one story feeding into the next and all kinds of auxillary characters influencing the action of the main characters and all the daring-do that ensues. I can definitely see some of us, given the chance, getting very into those characters' personalities and reenacting every little scene from those films. :capnjack:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “The Club Dumas”