ONBC - An Update on The Club Dumas

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC - An Update on The Club Dumas

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:01 pm

Ahhh, the lazy, hazy days of summer are yours to take your time reading The Club Dumas. We want you to have time to savor every word. And….. DITHOT and I need more time to prepare. :lol:

So mark your calendars for August 4, and join the club—Dumas, that is—where we will discuss the world of literature a la Corso. Tidbits Dumas will begin a month before on July 7.

Enjoy those summer days, Noodlematras….(or winter days if that applies to you). We look forward to seeing you right back here in a month.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 pm

This is great! It brought a smile to my face...I think it will be most interesting, and I am looking forward to the very profound comments of ONBC posters.

I passed up responding to several threads just now...my thoughts were either redundant or counter productive, but I had to say thank you for this. Now to find a copy!
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 am

Just started it few days back, Liz and DITHOT. From previous discussion of the book on other threads I knew what differences to expect, so it has been an easy read so far. But....

I'd better leave any comments til August!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 am

I have finished reading the book and I am currently awaiting the arrival of my copy of the Three Musketeers. I can hardly wait for tidbits to begin. :bounce: July looks to be a very busy month, so this schedule works out fine for me.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 am

I’m glad you chose to post to this thread, Stroch, and that you are looking forward to reading the book. :cool: And I’m looking forward to all of your comments, ladies. Nebraska, I’ve never read The Three Musketeers, and probably never will. So I’m counting on you to be our resident Three Musketeers expert.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi all,
I am new to the ONBC and I am looking forward to join the discussion. I am not a native speaker :dutchie: (I had to look up the word Tidbit in my dictionary) but I will try my best.
Yesterday I looked for the e-book version of this book but there isn't any yet .
The library only has a dutch copy and when I went to the bookstore this afternoon to order an english copy I was told that it will take about 5-10 working days to arrive.
In the meantime I've searched and searched on the internet and I managed to find a free e-book copy on the internet in WORD format. I've spent the last hour converting (part) of this document to my e-book reader. (it's a bit illegal but at least I can start reading the book).

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 pm

I have never read the book, although Alicia has lent it to me. I declined to read it before finishing off my fan fic...I am afraid it will mess me up. But should be able to finish before August...so I look forward to joining you then.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Well for once I am glad for the extra time. Usually I am impatient between discussions but this summer I can't seem to get anything finished. I have too many projects going around the house. I started Club Dumas awhile back and read about 1/3 then put it down to read some of my "candy" (romance novels). I am ready to get back into something serious and I also need to rewatch the Ninth gate again because its been awhile since I saw it. Hopefully, I will have it all fresh in my mind by August.
Nebraska you got me looking for the Three Musketeers and I found it online for download if anyone wants to read it.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1257
What can be better than a D'rtagnan Romance!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I just ordered my book tonight, and will be looking forward to this discussion.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Liz wrote:I’m glad you chose to post to this thread, Stroch, and that you are looking forward to reading the book. :cool: And I’m looking forward to all of your comments, ladies. Nebraska, I’ve never read The Three Musketeers, and probably never will. So I’m counting on you to be our resident Three Musketeers expert.

Forgive me if I'm asking something that's obvious to everyone but not to me - is there a connection between Club Dumas and The Three Musketeers - I saw The Ninth Gate years ago and don't own a copy - :-? and I haven't read CD yet :blush: do we need to read TTM as well?
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:16 pm

lizbet wrote:
Liz wrote:I’m glad you chose to post to this thread, Stroch, and that you are looking forward to reading the book. :cool: And I’m looking forward to all of your comments, ladies. Nebraska, I’ve never read The Three Musketeers, and probably never will. So I’m counting on you to be our resident Three Musketeers expert.

Forgive me if I'm asking something that's obvious to everyone but not to me - is there a connection between Club Dumas and The Three Musketeers - I saw The Ninth Gate years ago and don't own a copy - :-? and I haven't read CD yet :blush: do we need to read TTM as well?

Well Lizbet, I just happened by but here is the short answer to your question. Maybe someone else will come along with a bit more.
Actually Club Dumas is written by, Arturo Perez Reverte, but in the plot, Lucas Corso (our Johnny in the film Ninth Gate), is hired to authenticate a rare manuscript written by Alexander Dumas. Hence the name of the book. The Three muscateers was also written by Dumas. According to wikipedia.... The Ninth Gate was adapted from Pérez-Reverte's novel, simplifying some aspects of the plot and removing the Dumas connection entirely.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Thank you - gemini - its been years since I saw Ninth Gate and I thought I'd forgotten the musketeer connection - now I know that I haven't and can read the book for itself ~ sleep deprevation and age plays funny games with one's memory :eyebrow:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 am

Lizbet, The Three Musketeers has a bearing on the plot and some of the characterisation in TCD, but it isn't essential reading. However, TTM is referred to on a number of occasions in the book, and if I hadn't read it before, they would have been enough to make me want to, as curiosity would have got the better of me.
IngridN Hi and welcome! :wave: Good luck all with the online reading. I'm not too good at that. Sometimes I even print off the tidbits to read. :reader:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:16 am

I am quite curious to find out how the Three Muskateers ends up as part of the Club Dumas??? I will have to wait and see !!! Mwahhhahaaahhhaaa !!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:30 am

It's good to see everyone here, new and previous (I won't say old ;-) )Noodlemantras! :welcome: Thank you all for the online access info. IngridN, good luck with your book search! We are looking forward to having you join us! :bounce:

Reading The Three Musketeers is certainly not required for the discussion. I wish I had the time as I think it would add another level to my reading of The Club Dumas. I would suggest watching The Ninth Gate if possible. Whenever we read a book that has been made into a movie we inlcude some questions on both.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Club Dumas”