ONBC - An Update on The Club Dumas

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 pm

I am reading the Three Musketeers right now and I am really enjoying it. Of course, any version is translated and perhaps "dumbed down" a bit and I don't have all the historical background that might make it more meaningful. But it is really fun reading and much less sinister so far than the characters seemed in TCD. Very lyrical. Of course, I have a long way to read yet.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:06 pm

I've been away on vacation and without a computer :-/ for a week so I'm just getting caught up. It's nice to see we will have a good group for the discussion! Maybe I'll try to catch one of the film versions of The Three Musketeers.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:10 am

I've ordered the book should be here this week, maybe if I get time I will re read The Three Muscateers at least I don't need to buy that one too.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 am

I'm looking forward to finally getting to be part of an ONM discussion. :bounce: I started the book 2 days ago. I always found TSG a rather confusing movie, so maybe reading the book will help to fill in the background a bit better.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:11 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I've ordered the book should be here this week, maybe if I get time I will re read The Three Muscateers at least I don't need to buy that one too.

Does one need to read The Three Musketeers to get a better grasp of TCD?
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am

Hi, Anna! It's not necessary to read The Three Musketeers but there are a lot of references to the characters in TCD so we felt putting up the summary now would be helpful. I would have read it if there had been time but I was still able to understand TCD without it.

Jennak, welcome to ONBC! We're happy to have you join us! :welcome: I hope the discussion will help with you confusion, although I think I may be even more confused now! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 am

I am dying to start to read this. I borrowed Alicia's copy and will have to read fast to get it back to her in time.

I don't want to start until I finish my current fan fic...as I am unfamiliar with the Dean Corso in the book...and I don't want him to influence me from the movie Dean....

I am hurrying !! I don't want to miss out on this discussion !!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Don't confuse your Deans Kitty! :mort3: :lol: I'm sure we will be getting into that territory when we discuss the book. Read on! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Don't confuse your Deans Kitty! :mort3: :lol: I'm sure we will be getting into that territory when we discuss the book. Read on! :cool:

I hope you get to read it soon Kitty, as you know I was a bit dubious about reading it because I also write Corso fic and have my own version stuck in my head, but it's worth the read. Possibly more so if you have your own version to compare with!

Plus also if you get to read it it will mean we will get the end of your Amsterdam story, which I'm looking forward to!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:37 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Don't confuse your Deans Kitty! :mort3: :lol: I'm sure we will be getting into that territory when we discuss the book. Read on! :cool:

Yeah, there's the little problem of one Dean being a Lucas! :lol:
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:12 am

Okay, just started it...wow about a quarter way through and really enjoying it...:lol: although he is quite different from 'my' Dean...Lucas is an interesting character.

REally looking forward to this.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:24 am

You should be done in plenty of time, Kitty. :cool: He is definitely an interesting character!

Wow! What a ride!

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:15 pm

So glad we have a few more days to get a handle on things - well ok - to get the darn thing read! I will be spending mealtimes at my desk working my way through tidbits and I've somehow got the job of keeping an eye on my folks house over the holiday weekend (first weekend in August a holiday for Canadians) so I will be taking my copy of Club with me - the neighbours already think I'm nuts but if they see me with my face in a book while I water the plants or look after the garden they may call for the guys in the white suits - I walk with a cane so it really will be an accomplishment if I can walk, read and water!!! A true fan - getting it done 'no matter what'!!!
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Return to “The Club Dumas”