ONBC - An Update on The Club Dumas

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49 am

Great, I've been reading the book on and off for the last few weeks. I'll be back from my summer hols on August 4th (and back at work :-/ ) so by that time I'll have had enough time to finish it.
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:52 pm

I’ve been away from the Zone for a few days, but I’m glad the Noodlemantras have helped others in need. I’m also glad to see some new faces that will be joining our discussion plus some others I haven't seen in a while. :bounce:

IngridN, I’m not sure our tidbits coincide with the definition in the dictionary. They can be a bit lengthy.

I wish I had time to read The Three Musketeers.
:-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Good to see you, Liz! :wave:

I'm glad we're taking a little break before starting the tidbits...it'll give me a chance to get the book read!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 pm

theresa wrote:...it'll give me a chance to get the book read!

Me too. :lol: :blush:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Inthezone

Unread postby Inthezone » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Liz wrote:
theresa wrote:...it'll give me a chance to get the book read!

Me too. :lol: :blush:

:rotflmao:
Me three.

I think this is a good deal: I was able to order TCD, The Dubliners, ES (DVD) and B&J (DVD) for $35 (free shipping) from Amazon this morning. I'll be busy on vacation for sure.
"For certain you must be lost to find the place what can't be found. Elseways everyone would know where it was." ~ Hector Barbossa

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm not able to be on the Zone as much as I'd like at the moment, but I came over today and am delighted to see The Club Dumas is the next choice! I love The Ninth Gate and bought the book some years back, to my shame I haven't read it yet!

So, I am going to start on it and I hope to finish it in time to join in! I'm not the fastest reader in the world so I'm going to have to get my skates on!

For those in the UK, the book has been available in Waterstone's for some time, along with others by the same author.

Although I haven't read any Dumas, I love his stories and most of the film adaptations. For a jaunty version of The Three Musketeers, try Richard Lester's 70s version, with the likes of Michael York, Richard Chamberlain and the mesmerising Oliver Reed. Gene Kelly, of course, famously played D'Artagnan in a very athletic 1950s version!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:48 pm

I've read the Three Musketeers many years ago.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:22 pm

Jackslady wrote: For a jaunty version of The Three Musketeers, try Richard Lester's 70s version, with the likes of Michael York, Richard Chamberlain and the mesmerising Oliver Reed.

:cool: Faye Dunaway and Geraldine Chaplin!
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:53 am

Anna wrote:
Jackslady wrote: For a jaunty version of The Three Musketeers, try Richard Lester's 70s version, with the likes of Michael York, Richard Chamberlain and the mesmerising Oliver Reed.

The films bear little resemblnece to the book, even though those ones are fun. I think I found the book quite heavy going :-/

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:43 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Anna wrote:

The films bear little resemblnece to the book, even though those ones are fun. I think I found the book quite heavy going :-/

Most 19th century French (adventure) novels are pretty heavy going and thus more palatable on screen. Although the internationally cast Hollywood films are pretty mindless and have little to do with the original books. Modern readers don't get all the intrigues, political references, allusions to the bible, Machiavelli, Dante and what have you. The books do have the universal ingerdients for a good story such as revenge, honour, loyalty, betrayal, loooooove. Dumas' novels were so to speak screenplays 'avant-la-lettre'.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead people into thinking the films are an accurate version of the book! :blush:

They are an introduction to that world though, and a bit of fun.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Jackslady wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead people into thinking the films are an accurate version of the book! :blush:

Thats true and it certainly sparked my interest to read the book knowing the story from the films. As yet I ahven't decided on whether I will be getting Club Dumas we'll see

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Jackslady wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead people into thinking the films are an accurate version of the book! :blush:

Thats true and it certainly sparked my interest to read the book knowing the story from the films. As yet I ahven't decided on whether I will be getting Club Dumas we'll see

Well, GG, and not pre-emting discussion, I think you should give it a go. It's an easier read than I supposed, and knowing at least part of the plot makes it even easier. If you have read the Dumas it should be a breeze. I'm even ok about the original version of Corso (who, interestingly, seems to be creeping in to the present Garage game!) I got a copy for not much money off Play I think, but Amazon marketplace were ok as well.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:00 pm

I got mine really cheaply at Play. It takes a bit of an effort to get through the first half of the book but, like endora said, knowing the plot from the film and having read Dumas, it'll be a breeze for you to finish it in time for the discussion.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks ladies I did check out the price at Play :cool:

Return to “The Club Dumas”