The Club Dumas - The Ninth Gate

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

luvdepp

The Club Dumas - The Ninth Gate

Unread postby luvdepp » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:27 pm

Just finished reading my second book by Arturo Perez-Reverte and finally realized :blush: that his book The Club Dumas is what The Ninth Gate is based on. I was reading about The Club Dumas at amazon.com and the description was sounding really familiar! Anyway, wondered if anyone had read the book.
PS. The book I just finished was The Queen of the South...very good. :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Club Dumas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:50 pm

Just finished reading my second book by Arturo Perez-Reverte and finally realized that his book The Club Dumas is what The Ninth Gate is based on.

luvdepp, how did the book compare to the movie? I have not read it but it is certainly one to be considered down the road for ONBC. Thanks for sharing! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Re: Club Dumas

Unread postby luvdepp » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:01 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Just finished reading my second book by Arturo Perez-Reverte and finally realized that his book The Club Dumas is what The Ninth Gate is based on.

luvdepp, how did the book compare to the movie? I have not read it but it is certainly one to be considered down the road for ONBC. Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Sorry for the confusion Depp....I just finished The Queen of the South and was looking for other books by Perez-Reverte and came across the description for The Club Dumas.....I haven't read it yet and was wondering the same thing!...I'll let you know.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:03 pm

Me being obtuse again! Sorry... I do know that Club Dumas was the basis for Ninth Gate but I have not read it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

ColorMeSilent

Unread postby ColorMeSilent » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:19 pm

You know, the Ninth Gate comes on Tomorrow, Sunday the 1st at like 4:00 on SciFi. A friend told me the book was much better than the movie, but oh well. My local bookstore doesn't carry it, grr.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:25 pm

ColorMeSilent wrote:You know, the Ninth Gate comes on Tomorrow, Sunday the 1st at like 4:00 on SciFi. A friend told me the book was much better than the movie, but oh well. My local bookstore doesn't carry it, grr.

I love our library system...you can go online and request it from any library in their system and they deliver it to your local library. YES! Maybe you have something similar available. Sure opens up reading choices.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:33 pm

You know, the Ninth Gate comes on Tomorrow, Sunday the 1st at like 4:00 on SciFi.

Thanks for the heads up, ColorMeSilent!

Wow! What a ride!

ColorMeSilent

Unread postby ColorMeSilent » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:36 pm

Thats Eastern time, mind you.

Moliere

Ninth Gate and The Club Dumas

Unread postby Moliere » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:30 pm

This is where we left a similar discussion last week. We were discussing the illustrations and interpretations of The Ninth Gate when I mentioned seeing this book, The Club Dumas, at Borders. I have not read it yet, either, but was wondering if the ONBC might be interested. It's at Amazon, too. :cool:
Moliere

suec

Re: Club Dumas

Unread postby suec » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:42 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

I've read it, DIDHOT. It's quite different as it has two storylines really and Polanski simplified it, rejecting one of them. (Good decision, IMHO.) The ending is also different. It's quite lighthearted in tone and you do get more information about the girl. I enjoyed reading it and I would recommend you taking a look, if only to see how it was adapted for the film.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:45 am

I have read El Club Dumas and loved it! It is much more complicated than the 9th Gate, with two main plot lines going on simultaneously. It can be confusing if you have also seen the movie because some of the characters exchange names in the book compared to the movie. The movie made more sense to me after I read the book, as I learned a little more about some of the background subject matter while I was reading. I think Polanski made a wise choice, cutting out so much of the story for the movie. It was almost too large to be contained in the movie as it was. I would recommend the book for reasons not connected to the 9th Gate or Johnny -- it was a good book!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:59 am

Sounds like a definite possibility for future ONBC reading. We will put it on that ever-growing list of possibilities. Thanks for the suggestion, LuvDepp. :disco:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:35 pm

Liz wrote:Sounds like a definite possibility for future ONBC reading. We will put it on that ever-growing list of possibilities. Thanks for the suggestion, LuvDepp. :disco:

You're welcome Liz! Always looking for good books to read, so I'll look forward to checking this one out...glad to see that you have Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates on the list for the bookclub. That is a really great book, LOL funny. Some many passages sound so much like Johnny. If you haven't read it, you will enjoy it.

Conny

Re: Ninth Gate and The Club Dumas

Unread postby Conny » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:02 pm

Moliere wrote:This is where we left a similar discussion last week. We were discussing the illustrations and interpretations of The Ninth Gate when I mentioned seeing this book, The Club Dumas, at Borders. I have not read it yet, either, but was wondering if the ONBC might be interested. It's at Amazon, too. :cool:

Hi again Moliere,

I was just looking for the thread you mentioned ... is it still there?

I just found another tidbit on the engravings ... wanted to post it.

Thanks!

Conny

Moliere

Club Dumas Aug 7 Conny

Unread postby Moliere » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:28 pm

My library did an interlibrary loan for me, and I've read just the first few pages of CD. Surprised to find Balkan the first person narrator. Very interested in getting on into it.

About the engravings, can you post whatever it was you had?
And do the engravings actually exist, that is, can we order them in book form? :eyebrow:
Moliere

Return to “The Club Dumas”