The Club Dumas - The Ninth Gate

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

luvdepp

Re: Club Dumas Aug 7 Conny

Unread postby luvdepp » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:37 pm

Moliere wrote:My library did an interlibrary loan for me, and I've read just the first few pages of CD. Surprised to find Balkan the first person narrator. Very interested in getting on into it.

About the engravings, can you post whatever it was you had?
And do the engravings actually exist, that is, can we order them in book form? :eyebrow:

Hi Moliere! Glad you're library was able to get the book for you..I have it waiting for me at my library...I've got two books here to finish first, then I'll pick it up...can't wait to read it.. :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Moliere

About the engravings . . . duh!

Unread postby Moliere » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:39 pm

They are in "The Club Dumas"--of course. So now I've gotten to page 130 or so, and it's pretty complex because Corso is presented with two apparently unrelated assignments in the first few pages. One involves what may or may not be a holograph--handwritten--original copy of one of Dumas's chapters in "The Three Musketeers." Even if you're not a reader, you've heard of the three Musketeers because it became such a popular story, based in part on history. Okay, then Corso gets this request to research the supposedly diabolic Book of the Nine Doors of the Shadow Kingdom, also it seems a historic reality, the book at any rate. Corso has some sort of glimmering intuition that these two books are related. This is why you may feel like giving up on the book aroun page 100. Don't do it. Like most mysteries (I learned this reading Agatha Christie) this one is giving you a merry go round ride, but you'll enjoy it if you persevere. :eyebrow:
Moliere

Conny

Re: Club Dumas Aug 7 Conny

Unread postby Conny » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:15 am

Moliere wrote:My library did an interlibrary loan for me, and I've read just the first few pages of CD. Surprised to find Balkan the first person narrator. Very interested in getting on into it.

About the engravings, can you post whatever it was you had?
And do the engravings actually exist, that is, can we order them in book form? :eyebrow:

Hi again,

sorry it took me so long ...

Balkan being the first person narrator? Wow - but how's the story going to end? Who's going to tell the story after he died? Please keep us posted!

Well, what I found was just something from the Production Notes:

... No detail was spared in ensuring that the volume The Nine Gates , the physical prop, appear as genuine as possible. Polanski knew what he wanted the engravings to look like, but finding the right person to create them was another matter. "I wanted illustrations that would look like authentic woodcuts or copper etchings of the period. And we just couldn't get it." Then Polanski thought to approach Francisco Solé, who illustrated the Spanish and French editions of El Club Dumas. "I met him at the airport while scouting locations and explained to him what I wanted; he sent me a sample, and it was absolutely great. Then we worked over the telephone. I was shooting in the daytime and talking to him at night; I'd fax him sketches and he'd fax back the illustrations. They complete the book."
He continued, "When you take it in your hand, it looks like an antique book: the paper and the color of the paper, the print and the grain. It doesn't look like a prop."

Well, I don't think that you can order the engravings. You can buy (or loan, as you did) the novel which does have the above-mentioned illustrations, of course, but those are not the ones used in the movie.

The book I have (mentioned previously in the other thread) is a French press kit book so you might be able to get it off e-bay some day ... Unfortunately, the binding of this book is so tight it doesn't allow scanning, otherwise I certainly would scan it for you. But I would have to cut out the pages or something like that in order to be able to scan them, and I assume you can understand that I don't want to do that. Sorry ...

Conny

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:24 pm

The Club Dumas is a fabulous book! I loved the parallel storylines (it would've been very difficult to have pulled that off effectively in a film), but more intriguing was the world of book collecting that was portrayed in Club Dumas. If you love old and rare books, you have to read Club Dumas: there is an immense amount of info on the subject scattered throughout.

And yes, if you read the book, it will enlighten you as to certain characters or behaviors from the film (e.g. the blonde).

You've just got to love Corso, as smarmy as he is. JD did a great job of portraying him in Ninth Gate!
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:46 am

Conny and everyone else--be assured that these engravings links will go into the ONBC archives for future reference if/when we discuss this book. Thanks for the info, Conny.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Conny

You're welcome!

Unread postby Conny » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:56 am

Hi Liz,

I took those pictures from the UK DVD of "The Ninth Gate" - it does have a "gallery of satanic drawings".

I will keep them in my photobucket under these links for you, and I hope you'll soon be able to discuss the book. I haven't read it myself yet but I've heard wonderful reviews.

Conny

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: You're welcome!

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:33 am

Conny wrote:Hi Liz,

I took those pictures from the UK DVD of "The Ninth Gate" - it does have a "gallery of satanic drawings".

I will keep them in my photobucket under these links for you, and I hope you'll soon be able to discuss the book. I haven't read it myself yet but I've heard wonderful reviews.

Conny

Thanks, Conny.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Moliere

Finished the novel--possible SPOILER

Unread postby Moliere » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:21 am

First, Conny, how great that you got facsimiles of the engravings up!

The novel puts so much more emphasis on images--Corso recalls and links images he's seen in movies and books to help him figure out how the two stories are connected, The Three Musketeers manuscript and the Nine Doors of the Realm of Shadows. And there are constant descriptions of light and shadows. And in both the novel and the movie, the ninth engraving is bogus. This made me think, the final image in Polanski's film could be considered his substitution or version for the ninth engraving. If you remember, it's the small, dark image of Corso approaching an open gate through which the sun's rays (or fire, if you will) are pouring. Somehow, Corso figured out how to make that gate open. Thus, The Student Outdoes His Master.

What do you think?
Moliere

Conny

Re: Finished the novel--possible SPOILER

Unread postby Conny » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:27 am

Moliere wrote:First, Conny, how great that you got facsimiles of the engravings up!

You're welcome - I was really surprised that, as it seems, no one else had discovered them on the DVD yet ...

Moliere wrote:The novel puts so much more emphasis on images--Corso recalls and links images he's seen in movies and books to help him figure out how the two stories are connected, The Three Musketeers manuscript and the Nine Doors of the Realm of Shadows. And there are constant descriptions of light and shadows. And in both the novel and the movie, the ninth engraving is bogus. This made me think, the final image in Polanski's film could be considered his substitution or version for the ninth engraving. If you remember, it's the small, dark image of Corso approaching an open gate through which the sun's rays (or fire, if you will) are pouring. Somehow, Corso figured out how to make that gate open. Thus, The Student Outdoes His Master.

What do you think?

Hm, interesting thought - yes, might be. I can't remember exactly what Polanski said at the end of the commentary - will have to really listen to that again, just had it play while working on the computer. I'm convinced that Corso, the disciple, outshines the master, Balkan by beating him in finding the real 9th engraving. And thus being able to open the gate and enter, and gain the power Balkan had tried to achieve.

So yes, this final image might be kind of the 9th engraving when it the path is taken ...

Conny

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:40 pm

Wow, I just discovered this thread. IMHO, the book is MUCH better than the movie. The movie is my least favorite JD movie, however. (Well, maybe after the Astronaut's Wife.) There were two parallel plots in the book which made it more coherent and complex than the movie, and the ending was much different. Polansky's fascination with the occult really played in the screen adaptation. I thought the movie was just a mess, and that gratuitous sex scene at the end just silly. Only worth watching because of our hero. As I said, just MHO. It might make an interetsing ONBC selection!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:02 pm

lumineuse wrote: It might make an interetsing ONBC selection!

Lumineuse, it just might at that! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Club Dumas”